Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

REGISTRY CLEANER

• Please log in to reply

ROLLNGEE

ROLLNGEE

• Pip
  • 3 posts
JUST TO LET ANYONE KNOW, I USED REGISTRY MECHANIC BY PC TOOLS. ONCE I INSTALLED AND RAN THE SOFTWARE, BINGO RPC SERVER PROBLEMS. I THOUGHT IT WAS A GOOD CHOICE, NOW PAYING THE PRICE.

ROLLNGEE :)

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
And this is why you should not use Registry Cleaners if at all possible. Given half the chance they'll eat the computer alive.

Anthony19

Anthony19

• PipPipPip
  • 384 posts
Some Programmers know what they are doing... some do not :) " Bad programming "

I avoid at all cost's , registry cleaners....

I do not know any that actually do a good job at cleaning the registry...

IF anyone does know a good reg cleaner , PLEASE let me know / link me to it :)

Anthony

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
You would think that with all the posts and inquiries about Registry Cleaners here at GTG, people would learn to NOT use them. Still, people go out and mess with them... and then get in trouble! There is NO GOOD CHOICE for a registry cleaner... THEY ARE ALL BAD!

People, PLEASE...

DO NOT USE ANY REGISTRY CLEANERS!

Edited by makai, 13 January 2009 - 04:08 PM.

ROLLNGEE

ROLLNGEE

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
IF YOU KNOW HOW TO FIX SOMETHING COULD YOU SHARE IT WITH ME?

ROLLNGEE

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Your best bet is to use a System Restore point back to before you use the Registry Cleaner. I have to disagree about using Registry Cleaners as they have their uses...at times.

We at GTG do not recommend people to use them as they don't really improve computer boot times or are worth the problems they do cause because you didn't know which items to check and uncheck before running the program. It would take a long time and many installs/uninstalls to make a Registry to start presenting any boot lag. Other problems for long boot times are really the cause 9.999 times out of 10.

There are some Registry Cleaners that you should not use because of "bad programming". Backups of Registry should always be the default action for these programs so you can recover. I've used one good program that does more than clean the Registry for years without any problems, but you have to learn what to remove and what not to remove. This is hard to teach through a forum and why it is recommended to NOT use such programs as there are plenty of other computer problems to go around.

jt1990

jt1990

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,519 posts
I used to use CCleaner to clean the registry - Until I read about people who had issues with registry cleaners here.

BTW ROLLNGEE - Please don't type in all caps - it gives the impression that you're SHOUTING AT PEOPLE. :)

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
CCleaner is a good program and the one I was talking about in an indirect way. The problems arise with using this type of program is people blindly removing everything by letting the program make the decisions. Guess they think that since the program scanned and picked these items up to scan, they must need cleaning. That's NOT the way to use these types of programs. Better not to use them at all if you aren't sure which items to untick.