Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

help a noob with a computer build please

• Please log in to reply

Ingwaz

Ingwaz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts
I've read bad things about 64 bit vista, any advice on which is better? 32 or 64?

also, some people keep talking about RAID, can someone explain to me what RAID is?

As for the new suggested MOBO, I dont see much difference between it and the original one i picked. Could you perhaps show me the differences?

Also, I take it I don't need the sound card?

Seems I've found something interesting, this website advertises a higher grade computer then what I am looking at.

I'm wondering if the phrase "if it sounds to good to be true it probably is." applies to this as well? I've never heard of this site before and it just sounds a bit to good to be true.

http://www.cyberpowe...nity_8000_Dream

Edited by Ingwaz, 16 January 2009 - 09:20 PM.

Advertisements

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,839 posts
RAID... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RAID Read up, and enjoy :)

You must understand that, as experienced system builders, we know what's good and what er... isn't. For example, your question above about a 430W PSU being "enough"... well yes it would be, if it was a high-quality PSU. We recommend top-quality parts because we know that's what lasts. I'm truly sick and tired of cheap parts not lasting. I've had cheap PSUs fail on me, taking out the RAM and motherboard with it. I've seen (and fixed) other computers where the PSU has died, leaving nothing but the DVD burner in working order - yes, even the Hard Drive was blown and would not work.

Truly, you do not want this to happen to you.

Basically, that Cyberpower PC link is a basic system at a basic price. The only reason I wouldn't touch it at all, is because it uses a generic PSU. It is never worth it, in my opinion, to use a cheap PSU. The last thing you want (or need), is a great system turned into a doorstopper because the PSU fails.

Just my small rant, it's fine to question and learn, but don't forget we are volunteers here and only offering our experience. We don't do this pitch to "make a sale", we do it because we've "been there, done that" and truly want the best for you.

Cheers

Troy

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
Ya cyberpowerpc is a good reliable company and they do not overcharge like these other manufactured pc's might do.

If you do get the gamer Infinity 8000 dream you will absolutely NEED to upgrade the power supply to the Corsair CMPSU-650TX power supply and you will NEED to upgrade the VIDEO CARD to the Nvidia 9600GT or the ATI 4670 at minimum for doing some gaming.

That will put you at about:

$834.00 with the Nvidia video card

$812.00 with the ATI video card

Your choice and you have some thinking to do.

Cyberpower would be a good alternative and you would not have to put the pc together as it is already done and ready for you to turn on when received. It is bundled with a few extra things like a mouse and keyboard and wireless adapter etc included with those prices listed above. :)

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,839 posts
Sounds like those configuration options would be the way to go, or definitely deserve at least a serious consideration.

Referring to the Tom's Hardware Video Chart, the Nvidia 9600GT is one tier above in terms of performance - so the few dollars extra might be worth it for your games.

Cheers

Troy

Ingwaz

Ingwaz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts

You must understand that, as experienced system builders, we know what's good and what er... isn't. For example, your question above about a 430W PSU being "enough"... well yes it would be, if it was a high-quality PSU. We recommend top-quality parts because we know that's what lasts. I'm truly sick and tired of cheap parts not lasting. I've had cheap PSUs fail on me, taking out the RAM and motherboard with it. I've seen (and fixed) other computers where the PSU has died, leaving nothing but the DVD burner in working order - yes, even the Hard Drive was blown and would not work.

Basically, that Cyberpower PC link is a basic system at a basic price. The only reason I wouldn't touch it at all, is because it uses a generic PSU. It is never worth it, in my opinion, to use a cheap PSU. The last thing you want (or need), is a great system turned into a doorstopper because the PSU fails.

Just my small rant, it's fine to question and learn, but don't forget we are volunteers here and only offering our experience. We don't do this pitch to "make a sale", we do it because we've "been there, done that" and truly want the best for you.

Cheers

Troy

I understand that your not here to "make a sale" and I honestly do appreciate all the advice and suggestions that everyone has been giving me. Overall building my own computer just sounds like a very enjoyable experience but I also want to make sure that I'm not paying to much for what I'm getting. As I said in my first post I originally bought a laptop from my local Bestbuy store and I got what I now believe is a bad deal and I'm determined to not let that happen again. I apologize for all the questions but I would like to understand the system parts as best I can so that if I do build my own I know more about it if I ever need to upgrade or fix it.

As for my question specifically about the PSU, I didn't see anywhere on the part specifications that it gave a suggested wattage. Obviously I had no idea what the suggested output for these parts were and I need to better understand this system if possible.

Also do you have to use RAID if you dont use more then one hard drive?

Edited by Ingwaz, 17 January 2009 - 10:45 PM.

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts

Cheers

Troy

I understand that your not here to "make a sale" and I honestly do appreciate all the advice and suggestions that everyone has been giving me. Overall building my own computer just sounds like a very enjoyable experience but I also want to make sure that I'm not paying to much for what I'm getting. As I said in my first post I originally bought a laptop from my local Bestbuy store and I got what I now believe is a bad deal and I'm determined to not let that happen again. I apologize for all the questions but I would like to understand the system parts as best I can so that if I do build my own I know more about it if I ever need to upgrade or fix it.

As for my question specifically about the PSU, I didn't see anywhere on the part specifications that it gave a suggested wattage. Obviously I had no idea what the suggested output for these parts were and I need to better understand this system if possible.

Also do you have to use RAID if you dont use more then one hard drive?

No you do not have to use RAID at all, I never do.

The power supply thing is something over time you will know what to look at and generally know what brand / models are good and what is not.

The cheap priced units generally are not any good at all. It just depends on the brand, wattage, model, amps on the rails etc.. Almost always the included power supplies with cases are nothing but bad and they do not put out even close to what they say. They are made with cheap internals and can burn out any day of the week and also take out certain hardware in your pc such as the mobo, cpu, video card etc.. You always want to make a good SOLID PSU a top priority.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Example scenario: say you found a case for $30 (budget reasons) and you like the looks of it which that is fine if you want a cheap case but lets say it includes a 500W power supply with the price. That psu will be the biggest POS ever. 500w my @ss and think about it you are only paying $30 for the case how much would that power supply actually cost? Probably a $15 unit and that is very very very very bad. Big no no! LOL

See what we mean now?

I can generally just look at the PSU and tell you even without looking at the sticker/specs if it is good or not (mostly because I have already researched them). If it is a cheaper unit than the rest in a certain price range/ watt range and it looks all pretty with tons of lights and glow in the dark buttons etc generally that will tell you to STOP and do not buy it. Just because it is all flashy with tons of lights and glow in the dark buttons and cords + lets say $40 cheaper than the normal going rate/price on that wattage level It does not mean it is a good DEAL, it means it is trash. Lights are fine in power supplies I do not want to get you confused as you will just have to learn over time or just ask someone that KNOWS what is good.

Like troy said we aren't like the people at bestbuy, dell, gateway, hp etc that will tell you anything just to make a sell. It is different here, we don't get any money from you or anyone. We work for FREE as volunteers.