Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

I need help with my xbox live to pc connection

• Please log in to reply

Hearse59

Hearse59

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I am trying furiously to connect to xbox live. I have a laptop with vista home basic and have the ethernet cable from the xbox to the PC. My internet connection however is a Verizon USB broadband. I cannot seems to be able to get it to work with my internet connection. I saw some videos about bridging connection but I do not have this option with the broadband. I need help!
Thanks
Jason

Advertisements

Oblivionon360

Oblivionon360

• PipPipPip
  • 261 posts
First, are you using a cross over cable or a regular network cable? Network cables are used to directly connect to the internet modem or router. Directly connecting to a computer usually requires a cross over cable. Look at your cable and tell me the order of colors from left to right.

xBPM07x

xBPM07x

• PipPip
  • 53 posts
Oblivionon360 is correct, you must use a cross over cable if you want to share your Internet connection with your PC. They are cheap and can be found at most electrical stores, such as Radioshack, you could probably pick one up for ~$10. After you have done that, you should enable ICS (Internet Connection Sharing) on your network. You can do this by:

1. Clicking Start
2. Going to Control Panel
3. Going to Network Connections
4. Find your network
5. Right click it
6. Go to Properties
7. Go to the Advanced tab
8. Check the box saying "Allow other network users to connect to this computer's Internet connection"
9. Hit OK

This is what I do for my Xbox Live setup, and it works fine. If you don't have money, you can also easily convert an Ethernet cable to a cross over.