Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

graphics card overheating

• Please log in to reply

BS_1

BS_1

• PipPip
  • 81 posts
hi, my pc is freezing constnatly in the heat of summer.
i get the error "ati2dvag display driver stopped working normally"

usualy i dont get any error and my pc will just freeze and the restart or else the screen will go black and then reload images on the screen.

the only time my pc works in the summer is when i have an external house fan blowing on the inside of the case.

it happens every summer so i can be sure that its caused by heat.

im thinking of buying a new video card to totally replace this one and am wondering what type i should replace it with and if i have to replace power packs or anything at the same time.

i have a Radeon 9200 series 128mb card
700ish RAM(cant remember) (it was originally 256mb)

pentium 4 2.6ghz

thank you for help

Also if i just buy the card is it easy for me to replace with no experience.

Advertisements

PedroDaGR8

PedroDaGR8

• PipPipPip
  • 786 posts
First thing I would do is blow out ALL of the dust inside the computer. This is a bit of an odd situation, either your case doesn't have adequate air flow or the heatsink has slightly come off the card or the card is clogged with dust. This is what I would be looking at first. Is this a self built computer or a OEM like HP, Dell, etc.? If it is self-built what type of PSU is in it? (The big usually grey box with all of the wires coming out of it)

BS_1

BS_1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 81 posts
im pretty sure i got all the dust out, unless there are areas i havent found.
i didnt buiild it myself its packard bell(not sure if thats what you want to know?)

how can i fix this heatsink

its really not making sense. even on a completly hot day where the air is almost 40degrees celcius, the computer will work as long as the fan is on it but it is still really only blowing boiling hot air onto it. so yes its something to do with air FLOW rather than JUST HEAT. but then where can airflow be blocked

PedroDaGR8

PedroDaGR8

• PipPipPip
  • 786 posts
Packard Bell is the make, do you have a model number? If so, I can see where the fans are located and give you advice.

BS_1

BS_1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 81 posts
ill just list a bunch of stuff
pentium 4 2.6ghz
iMedia M838
radeon 9200 series128mb

dunno if ANY is model number

fsp280-60pna-i (pf)???

PedroDaGR8

PedroDaGR8

• PipPipPip
  • 786 posts
Hmmm, I can't find any internal pictures. I would be looking to see if there is a fan in the front at the bottom (maybe in front of the hard drive if it is located there). There may be another in the back below the PSU.

BS_1

BS_1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 81 posts
there are 2 fans.
one just below the power pack blowing on some part of the motherboard towards the top
and another in the power pack for the power pack

there is no fan blowing directly on the graphics card

if i replaced my graphics card would that fix the problem or would it simply be a case of cleaning it REALLY properly.
ive just heard bad things aboiut my graphics card and problems with overheating. unless its just problems with ppl not cleaning it

PedroDaGR8

PedroDaGR8

• PipPipPip
  • 786 posts
It could BE the graphics card then. I can't guarantee it, but it sounds like it is quite possible from the description.