Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

moving HD with windows still on it into a different machine with windo

• Please log in to reply

moussaka

moussaka

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
horrible topic title, but whatever. Ive been trying to fix this computer that wont boot into windows for a few days now. if i cant figure out anything im going to format it. is it safe to plug in the old HD of that computer into my computer, boot into my windows, and copy some files off of that HD? do i risk getting a virus if it is on there? will it ask me which HD to boot windows off of?

I have a HD with windows and program on it and a HD with tons of files. if i plug in the other HD with windows will that mess anything up on my machine? Im leaving both my HD plugged in and adding this 3rd one to the mix.

Advertisements

peter99

peter99

• PipPipPip
  • 283 posts
There is always a risk of infection or worse. I use a live Cd to copy any files and burn to a Cd\Dvd disk. With some live Cd’s you can repair windows or run a virus check on it, we all have our favourites.

http://www.livecdlist.com/

you cannot remove a hard drive with XP\Vista on and place it into another computer and expect windows to start unless all the hardware is exactly the same, you can set it to a slave in a computer with windows on to see the files and copy the files from it.

Or use a SATA\IDE to USB adapter to connect to a computer

Edited by peter99, 14 January 2009 - 09:09 AM.

moussaka

moussaka

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
ah good idea... i have an ubuntu livecd lying around here so i popped it in. too bad the windows drive doesnt even show up! i dont think im going to be able to save anything on this drive...

i see the HD in the device manager, but im not seeing it in my computer. it is a SATA drive if that matters.

edit... downloaded knoppix. i think this is going to work! i see the windows drive and have a thumb drive plugged in. thanks for the idea man!

Edited by moussaka, 14 January 2009 - 04:10 PM.