Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Sound problem on dell laptop

• Please log in to reply

joe f

joe f

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
Sound does not work on laptop.

IDT High Definition Audio Codec in the Device manager -- has a yellow circle with a black exclamation point. And my sound does not work on this year old dell Latitude d830

thanks, Joe

Advertisements

makinu1der2

makinu1der2

• PipPipPip
  • 182 posts
Hello joe,

Try removing the entries from Device Manager and restart the computer. Windows should detect the drvices and reinstall them.

If still doesn't work you can download the Audio driver for your system from the Dell website.

joe f

joe f

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
I uninstalled, then windows xp reinstalled, then gave error message: this device annot start (code 10)??

I will try to find the driver on dell website, but am not sure where to look, or how to install it? What is the IDT thing

I JUST looked on the website and they only list two audio drivers for this laptop, one Knowles Acoustic and one Sigmatel, nothing there about IDT> Any ideas what is going on, or what to try? Should I try these two drivers? thanks, Joe

Here is the Dell link to drivers for this Latitude laptop model d830: http://support.dell..../...tid=&impid=

Edited by joe f, 13 January 2009 - 08:26 PM.

makinu1der2

makinu1der2

• PipPipPip
  • 182 posts
IDT High Definition Audio Codec this is most likely a driver that was installed through Windows Update.

Use the Dell link below and expand Audio. This should be the sound chip that is installed on your laptop.

http://support.dell......LATITUDE D830

joe f

joe f

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
Thanks. I found a discussion on Dell site. apparently windows update put the iDT on, which screwed up the sound. reinstalled old driver, and now it works. great, many many thanks, Joe

Never allow updates?

makinu1der2

makinu1der2

• PipPipPip
  • 182 posts
Thanks for posting back with resuts and glad it's sorted.