Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Accidently deleted winlogon.exe

• Please log in to reply

Joherg

Joherg

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Hi!

I would be most thankfull for some suggestions on this somewhat delicate problem..

I was tring to clean my computer from several spyware/trojans etc.
The file winlogon.exe was reported from my Sygate firewall to ask for internet access. I happend to accidently deleted the file from the system32 folder as well as the registrysetting for it.
WIndows XP instantly powerd down the computer in 0 seconds. And now as soon the computer is turned on it will almost immedately after the first Windows XP screen turn off and reset/ restart in an endless loop.

I would be very thankfull for suggestions on how to put that file (winlogon.exe) back in the system32 folder again. I do not have a bootdiskette and i do not have Win XP home on CD. What do i need? How do i do?
:tazz:
Regards,
Johan

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
oh....my

goodness. Do you have a recovery disk?

Joherg

Joherg

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

oh....my

No, dont have recovery disk. This is a small laptop. The CDs included is just additional included software.

View Post

Edited by Joherg, 06 May 2005 - 07:38 AM.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
who made your laptop, what model number?

Joherg

Joherg

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

who made your laptop, what model number?

Its a Fujitsu Lifebook P series P-2040.

View Post

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Well, the good news is that Fujitsu has a hidden partition on this model that will enable you to restore your system--the bad new is it is unclear whether this will wipe out your data--I think it will.

The other bad news is that in order to do this, you needed to create a DISE disk/floppy BEFORE your problems began.

I would look at your driver disk and see if there is a utility to create one. If not, you will need to contact their tech support

http://support.fujit...porthome.do,use the chat.

If they have any brains, they will have a downloadable DISE disk somewhere that you can get to get back up and running.

That is about all I can do given your resources.

Alex_Harris

Alex_Harris

• PipPip
  • 41 posts
I wonder if it would be possible to copy the winlogon.exe from the XP disc itself to try and get the machine up and running. This probably doesnt help in this current situation because Joherg said he didnt have the XP disc.

Joherg

Joherg

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Thanks for this information!
Fujitsu has a special 24 hour 7 weeks a day livechat support. I have talked to them and what they could help me with they did. They posted me the disedisk. I will eventually use as a last resort.
Thx.

View Post

Joherg

Joherg

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

I wonder if it would be possible to copy the winlogon.exe from the XP disc itself to try and get the machine up and running. This probably doesnt help in this current situation because Joherg said he didnt have the XP disc.

Well i searched for botdisks at the internet and found a WIn XP bot for floppydisks! It is 5 disks, if i am lucky i may find winlogon.exe on some of them. I dont think it is possible to take the file from a WIN XP cd, i think microsoft use some sort of bigger cab files for their installation.
Thanks anyway!

View Post