Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Internet Windows Freeze

• Please log in to reply

prettyvacant

prettyvacant

• PipPip
  • 64 posts
I am operating Windows Vista with IE 7. Recently, I have been having problems with certain windows or tabs freezing. For no apparent reason, when I go to a website, it will begin to load and it will just freeze there. Part of it may sometimes load and the progress bar at the bottom looks like it's loading slowly but the window has completely frozen. In fact, I can't even close the tab. When I try to close the entire internet session, I am not able to. To close it, I have to hit ctrl+alt+del and go into Task Manager just to manually end the task. This has been happening to me frequently for the past few weeks. It is random websites and random times of the day, although I have noticed it is happening much more frequently.

Also related to this is sometimes, when I open up too many tabs the entire session will just shut down. I won't get an error message, windows won't restart, it will just completely close and go back to my desktop. Other times, I will get an error message that Windows Explorer has terminated and the page will close.

Any idea what this might be? I tried searching around about a month ago and someone suggesting disabling some startup programs for the Internet. I disabled a few and I actually noticed the probelm go away for a while, but now it is back and worse than ever.

Any help would be apprecaited.

Thanks.

Advertisements