Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows cannot find any hard disk devices

• Please log in to reply

keithr128

keithr128

• PipPipPip
  • 796 posts
I have a HP Pavillion dv6000 laptop that someone gave to me and when I try to reinstall XP Media Center Edition on it I get an error that Windows cannot find the hard drive, but I know the hard drive is working because I was able to install Ubuntu 8.10 onto it with no problems.
What I would like to do is be able to reinstall XP MCE and give it back to my friend since she refuses to give Ubuntu a try even with Gnome XP installed on it to make it at least seem like XP.
Any advice is appreciated.

Keith

Edited by keithr128, 14 January 2009 - 10:38 AM.

Advertisements

Artellos

Artellos

Tech Secretary

• Global Moderator
  • 3,915 posts
Hello keithr128,

Is the HDD a SATA drive by any chance?

Regards,
Olrik

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
You're reinstalling XP Media Center Edition using what?
Is it what it was on the laptop originally?

keithr128

keithr128

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 796 posts

Hello keithr128,

Is the HDD a SATA drive by any chance?

Regards,
Olrik

Hi Artellos, yes it is a sata drive.
I was coming here to post an update that I had solved my issue by setting the "SATA Native Support" option to disabled in the BIOS after reading a bunch of articles and forum posts on people having the same issue.
I would like be able to turn that back on though since it was the default setting.
Would I be able to do a repair install and load the drivers needed when I am given the option?

You're reinstalling XP Media Center Edition using what?

A lollipop, two fish sticks and a cardboard cutout of Abraham Lincoln or it could be the set of discs that I have, take your pick. :)

Is it what it was on the laptop originally?

That's what the COA says.

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts

A lollipop, two fish sticks and a cardboard cutout of Abraham Lincoln or it could be the set of discs that I have, take your pick

It still doesn't tell me WHAT KIND of disks they're.

keithr128

keithr128

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 796 posts

First off, it is bad forum etiquette to type words in all caps as it implies that you are yelling.
Have a look at this, it is a quick guide to forum etiquette.
Also, if you want to accuse me of having an illegal version of XP then just come right out and say it or just do what you are supposed to do and post in the "If You Need A Moderator" forum and let them handle the situation.
As for WHAT KIND of discs they are, they are the round kind.
If you would like to request a Mod about this situation then be my guest and I will tell them where I bought them, about how long ago I bought them and what I bought them with.
Hold on to that horn tight so you don't fall.

Keith

Artellos,
If you would like to continue this topic I would be more than happy to, but I understand if you do not considering the mood this thread has taken on.
Either way thank you for taking the time to try and resolve my issue.

Keith

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts

if you want to accuse me of having an illegal version of XP

I've never said that.
Since providing info is for some reason very hard for you to do....good luck :)

Artellos

Artellos

Tech Secretary

• Global Moderator
  • 3,915 posts

A lollipop, two fish sticks and a cardboard cutout of Abraham Lincoln or it could be the set of discs that I have, take your pick

There are a couple of different type of disks.
You can have a retail disk, which would be a disk bought in a box in a retail store and can be installed on a different PC up to 3 times (changing hardware)
You can have a OEM disk, which would be a disk bought in a box in a retail store and can only be installed on 1 PC up to 3 times (No changing hardware)
You can have a Recovery disk, which is usually given to the customer by companies like Dell.

First off, it is bad forum etiquette to type words in all caps as it implies that you are yelling.
Have a look at this, it is a quick guide to forum etiquette.

Broni was only trying to put emphasis on to what kind of disks they were.

And I also, would like to know what kind of disks you have.

Regards,
Olrik

Edited by Artellos, 20 January 2009 - 01:34 AM.

keithr128

keithr128

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 796 posts
Hello Artellos,

And I also, would like to know what kind of disks you have.

I have the recovery disk's that came with the laptop, well not exactly came with but she had to call and request them from HP after she bought the laptop and I have the OEM version that I bought from Microcenter a few years back.
I used the OEM version so that I did not have to deal with the bloat that is usually loaded on when you use a recovery disk and so I could decrease the odds of something going wrong when I installed SP 3, which installed with no problem.
As far as I know there was never a retail version of Media Center Edition.

Artellos

Artellos

Tech Secretary

• Global Moderator
  • 3,915 posts
Please try the disks that she requested from HP. The XP needs some drivers to be able to work with SATA and the OEM CD probably does not have this.
Using the disks that came with the PC is of utmost importance when installing a fresh OS even if the recovery disks put, as you call them, bloat on the system.

Regards,
Olrik