Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Soundblaster Audigy Installation CD Has A Trojan?

• Please log in to reply

Webslinger64

Webslinger64

• PipPipPip
  • 567 posts
I recently purchased a used Pentium 4 computer from a surplus sale at a local university. I've cleaned it up (reformatted hard drive and installed Windows XP) and upgraded it with a newer video card (Radeon 9600 PRO). Today I took the Sound Blaster Audigy sound card from an old, dying computer and installed it on this one. I still have the original installation CD for this product. When I used the CD to install the drivers and other Creative Lab programs, my Avast Antivirus program detected a trojan horse from the installation CD. The first time I got the alert, I had Avast delete the trojan. Avast continued to alert me 4 additional times to this same trojan, so instead of deleting it I had Avast transfer it to the Virus Chest for later review. I'm reviewing it now and this is what Avast found:

Name: jshapor.dll
Original Location: C:\DOCUME~1\ADMINI~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\Jgl_Rt1
Last Changed: 12/10/2000 3:14:00 AM
Transfer Time: 1/14/2009 11:42:00 AM
Virus: Win32:Spyware-gen [Trj]

Again, there are four of these entries in the virus chest.

I find that very odd that this installation CD would contain a trojan at all. In the past, I have reinstalled this same software 2 or 3 times on the old computer without ever having seen this. It's probably been a few years since I last reinstalled on the old computer and I'm sure I was not using Avast Antivirus at the time.

Has anybody else heard of Sound Blaster installation software containing any trojan horses? Win32:Spyware-gen [Trj] appears to be spyware, so is it common for companies like Sound Blaster (Creative Lab/Audio) to include this stuff in their installation software? Is it not a big deal and Avast just spotted something I shouldn't even worry about?

Thanks!

Greg

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
False positive most likely. Happens regularly, you'll probably find you can restart the computer and/or update Avast and it'll never mention it again.