Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

removing programs not on add/remove list

• Please log in to reply

delawaredrew

delawaredrew

• PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
Hi,
I was given a laptop that has alot of programs on it that are not on the add/remove list. Before I got it a guy supposedly "cleaned up" the HD. I don't know what he did but I had to immediately repair XP as described in this forum due to lots of viruses and trojans. Can I just delete the folders from the program files folder or is there a better way? It is mostly networking tools and stuff as the previous owner (not the guy who did the hard drive stuff) did some sort of IT work. Some of the stuff will still run, some will not.
Drew

Edited by delawaredrew, 06 May 2005 - 08:17 AM.

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
you can certainly remove the folders, but know that some of the related files sprinkled throughout the system will remain (files in c:\windows\system32, for example).

Registry settings too.

delawaredrew

delawaredrew

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
Thanks,
I've just been trying to open alot of the unlisted progs and many are missing reg entries or dlls. Probably from when I repaired XP or the other guy did whatever. Guess I should just remove them? Should I then use a registry checking program (like reg mech or something)? Last time I used Advanced SYs Optimizer it totally screwed my desktop comp up (98SE never recovered from it). Any tips on a reliable way to get the unused reg entries out? Or should they just stay? I'm not too worried about drive space, but speed is nice; if it would make XP faster.
Thanks,
Drew

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
I would leave the registry alone. Registry cleaners rarely do anything good, and often do something bad. There is just no benefit from them other than a feel good feeling