Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can't Access Device Manager

• Please log in to reply

Webslinger64

Webslinger64

• PipPipPip
  • 567 posts
OK, something happened to my computer and I'm not quite sure what it is.

I tried to install a Just Link CD R-RW drive from an old computer into this one without success. I tried some different things to get it to work, but still no go. I removed the drive and left the computer as it was. After that, the computer would boot up normally.

Also, I installed a Sound Blaster Audigy card on this computer as well. There was a problem with that installation when my Avast Antivirus found a trojan in the installation software (CD). I posted that issue on this forum under Operating System - Windows XP. Despite that, I was able to successfully install Sound Blaster. It is working just fine as I type up this post.

After installing the sound card and software, I wanted to get into my device manager to see if the onboard sound had been disabled and/or drivers uninstalled. At one point during the Sound Blaster installation, the software detected another sound card on the system and indicated it was not a good idea to run multiple sounds cards simultaneously. I exited the installation at that time and went into Add/Remove programs and removed the SoundMAX onboard program from there. I then tried the Sound Blaster installation once again. It still said there was another sound card/program detected, but I continued with the installation anyway.

Once the installation was finished, I went back to Add/Remove Programs to make sure SoundMAX was gone (it was) and then went to check in Device Manager as well to see if it was removed from there as well. Welp, now I can't get into device manager. This is what's happening. I right click on 'My Computer' and select 'Properties'. From the 'Hardware' tab in 'System Properties' I click on 'Device Manager' and this is the message that pops up:

"Microsoft Management Console

MMC cannot open the file C:\WINDOWS\system32\devmgmt.msc.

This may be because the file does not exist, is not an MMC console, or was created by a later version of MMC. This may also be because you do not have sufficient access rights to the file."

Any idea what that's all about?

Advertisements

Teddie1

Teddie1

• PipPip
  • 44 posts
A simple resolution here konakula29er,

Click start > Run > Type cmd then click ok, After this prompt window is displayed,

Type the following commands, and press ENTER after each command:
Regsvr32 Msxml.dll
Regsvr32 Msxml2.dll
Regsvr32 Msxml3.dll
exit

and finally restart your computer. I hope i have been of help to you :).

Webslinger64

Webslinger64

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 567 posts

A simple resolution here konakula29er,

Click start > Run > Type cmd then click ok, After this prompt window is displayed,

Type the following commands, and press ENTER after each command:
Regsvr32 Msxml.dll
Regsvr32 Msxml2.dll
Regsvr32 Msxml3.dll
exit

and finally restart your computer. I hope i have been of help to you :).

Teddie,

Thanks for the reply. I followed your instructions and all went well until I typed out Regsvr32 Msxml3.dll
When I did that and hit 'Enter' I got the following message in a RegSvr32 window that popped up:

"LoadLibrary("Msxml3.dll") failed - A dynamic link library (DLL) initialization routine failed."

I did not restart the computer yet. Any thoughts?

Thank you!

Teddie1

Teddie1

• PipPip
  • 44 posts
Ok here is what i have done, it sounds like the file is corrupt. Download this "Msxml3.dll" file which i have uploaded from my Windows XP CD to mediafire and place it in "C:\Windows\System32" replacing any old file if prompted. Then follow the RegSvr32 "C:\Windows\System32" in command prompt. This should resolve that error. Finally restart your system and device manager should work once again :) and it's no problem.

Msxml3.dll

Edited by Teddie1, 14 January 2009 - 11:18 PM.

Webslinger64

Webslinger64

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 567 posts

Ok here is what i have done, it sounds like the file is corrupt. Download this "Msxml3.dll" file which i have uploaded from my Windows XP CD to mediafire and place it in "C:\Windows\System32" replacing any old file if prompted. Then follow the RegSvr32 "C:\Windows\System32" in command prompt. This should resolve that error. Finally restart your system and device manager should work once again :) and it's no problem.

Msxml3.dll

OK, I downloaded the "Msxml3.dll" file from Mediafire and placed it in "C\Windows\System32". I was prompted to replace an old file, which I did. However, I did not understand this part of your message, "Then follow the RegSvr32 "C:\Windows\System32" in command prompt."

Am I supposed to type out "C:\Windows\System 32 in the command prompt, or type out RegSvr32 and then C:\Windows\System32? Right now my command prompt shows C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator> What should I type after that?

Edited by konakula29er, 15 January 2009 - 12:27 AM.

Teddie1

Teddie1

• PipPip
  • 44 posts
If you have placed the Msxml3.dll file in the "C:\Windows\System32" directory follow these simple steps from the screen you have right now

cd C:\ press enter
cd windows press enter
cd system32 press enter

RegSvr32 C:\Windows\System32\Msxml3.dll press enter

exit

Restart computer.

Webslinger64

Webslinger64

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 567 posts

If you have placed the Msxml3.dll file in the "C:\Windows\System32" directory follow these simple steps from the screen you have right now

cd C:\ press enter
cd windows press enter
cd system32 press enter

RegSvr32 C:\Windows\System32\Msxml3.dll press enter

exit

Restart computer.

Sorry man, I followed instructions and am still getting the message, "LoadLibrary("C:\Windows\System32\Msxml3.dll") failed - A dynamic link library (DLL) initialization routine failed." This message popped up after typing out, RegSvr32 C:\Windows\System32\Msxml.dll then pressing enter. The file I d/l from Mediafire I saved to my desktop. I then dragged and dropped it in C:\Windows\System32 folder.

Teddie1

Teddie1

• PipPip
  • 44 posts
This has me stumped but, I do have a few more suggestions up my sleeve before giving in. Could you check your system date and try to update via windows update ? Also install this after uninstalling MSXML packages first. Let me know how it goes.

MSXML 4.0 Service Pack

Webslinger64

Webslinger64

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 567 posts

This has me stumped but, I do have a few more suggestions up my sleeve before giving in. Could you check your system date and try to update via windows update ? Also install this after uninstalling MSXML packages first. Let me know how it goes.

MSXML 4.0 Service Pack

OK, how do I check my system date, unless you mean dragging my mouse arrow over the time at bottom right of the system tray (which says, Thursday, January 15, 2009)? How do I uninstall MSXML (didn't see it in Add/Remove Programs...where else would I do it)? Once MSXML is uninstalled, it sounds like Windows Update ought to automatically d/l and install MSXML 4.0 Service Pack right?

Edited by konakula29er, 15 January 2009 - 01:18 AM.

Teddie1

Teddie1

• PipPip
  • 44 posts
Right click the clock in the bottom corner > date/time properties. Check it's set right. To uninstall MSXML, Click start > control panel > add/remove programs > If it isn't displayed (any item that contains MSXML) If you can't see it go ahead with the install of MSXML4.0 SP. Then tick "Show Updates" and look again, Remove any entries. Then install MSXML 4.0 SP. Let me know how it goes.

Edited by Teddie1, 15 January 2009 - 01:25 AM.

Teddie1

Teddie1

• PipPip
  • 44 posts
Not always, although it should yes automatically download if you have that settings. I personally don't like windows auto update i install necessary updates then disable it :).

Webslinger64

Webslinger64

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 567 posts

Right click the clock in the bottom corner > date/time properties. Check it's set right. To uninstall MSXML, Click start > control panel > add/remove programs > If it isn't displayed (any item that contains MSXML) If you can't see it go ahead with the install of MSXML4.0 SP. Then tick "Show Updates" and look again, Remove any entries. Then install MSXML 4.0 SP. Let me know how it goes.

Date and time are set right. Ticked 'show updates' in Add/Remove Programs and didn't see anything there having to do with MSXML. I went ahead with the install of MSXML 4.0 SP2. Once installed I rebooted and then checked for device manager. Still get the same message...

"MMC cannot open the file C:\WINDOWS\system32\devmgmt.msc.

This may be because the file does not exist, is not an MMC console, or was created by a later version of MMC. This may also be because you do not have sufficient access rights to the file."

What the h-e-double L did I do. I swear. Device Manager was there just recently. I know, I used it to review my hardware (no yellow question marks) after a recent reformat of the hard drive and installation of Windows XP. Not sure what happened today installing sound card hardware and software and dinking around trying to get that old CD-ROM R/RW drive to work.

Anyway, thanks for the all the info and trying to help. If you can think of anything else, please let me know.

Teddie1

Teddie1

• PipPip
  • 44 posts
After installing that, try doing the;

Regsvr32 Msxml.dll
Regsvr32 Msxml2.dll
Regsvr32 Msxml3.dll

I know it's been longwinded but i'm determined to help you fix it. If that doesn't work try this

Navigate to Microsoft

Select the appropriate language for your machine

Search for "Microsoft XML Parser 3.0 SP4" (without quotes)

Click "Download files below"

Download and install msxml3xxx.msi (xxx represents the three letter acronym for the language.)

We can get this sorted :) don't worry! :)

Webslinger64

Webslinger64

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 567 posts

After installing that, try doing the;

While we were working on this last night, I noticed there was a similarly titled thread listed at the bottom of the page, "Can't Open Device Manager" by Josh Hau. Here's the link:

http://www.geekstogo...er-t208543.html

If you look at post #7 from The Skeptic, I followed his instructions. It worked, hallelujah!

Thanks for your time and efforts on my behalf. I do learn a bit more every time I post at this site. :)