Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Can't Get CD-ROM Drive To Work

• Please log in to reply

Webslinger64

Webslinger64

• PipPipPip
  • 555 posts
Today I tried to install an older Just Link CD-ROM R-RW drive into my computer. I figured it would be pretty straight forward to do, but I ran into a problem.

The computer will not boot up past the initial Windows XP screen with the scrolling bar under the logo. In other words, I can't even get to the password input screen. I know I connected the power cable and IDE cable correctly. There seems to be only two things that could have gone wrong.

First, the drive had the jumper set in the Master position. On this computer here, I already have a DVD drive installed that is set to Master. I believe I need to set the CD-ROM drive to slave. There was not a diagram on the Just Link CD drive indicating where the jumper should be placed for the 'slave' position. It was set on the left position, I put it in the middle position and tried that, but it still didn't work. I did Google Just Link hoping to find a website that would provide a diagram for the CD drive I have, but no luck.

Also, I have an Analog CD audio cable that I tried to connect from the Analog Audio connector on the CD-ROM drive to the CD_IN connector on the Sound Blaster Audigy card. I copied the same set up for this sound card and this CD-ROM drive from the old computer. Well, I'm not sure if that's contributing to the problems with the installation of this CD-ROM drive on this computer.

Could something be conflicting that I'm not aware of? Could it all be due to not having the jumper set in the right position and would that cause Windows XP to not start up?

Thanks,

Greg

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
If it boots without the CD unit connected there may be an issue with that device.
Try it on another computer?

Webslinger64

Webslinger64

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 555 posts

If it boots without the CD unit connected there may be an issue with that device.
Try it on another computer?

Good idea, I will do that.