Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

FF3, IE7 hungapp when playing embedded media

• Please log in to reply

knottybear

knottybear

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I read this thread (http://www.geekstogo...PU-t222903.html) but was not exactly what I was experiencing.

Older Dell laptop (less than 4yrs old -- can give specs if necessary) Running XP , began having major issues when playing embedded media. Problem occurs consistently on Firefox and IE 7. Have not tried other browsers.

Embedded movie will begin to load, freeze, cause the browser app to hang. All other applications will run normally, although after the app hangs occasional the whole thing will freeze. Forced shutdown takes a long time.

Steps done already:

Ran Trend Micro PCcillin scan, Ad-aware scan, some other scan (I don't remember the name -- was recommended here). No bugs or malware found on anything.

Emptied the hard drive of as much junk as possible. Now is 65% free space.

Performed cleanup, defrag, scanned for bad sectors, all that jazz.

Uninstalled FF3 and all firefox related items I could see (I don't eff with registry)

Reinstalled all flash, java, shockwave, and quicktime add-ons

checked the video card drivers – no updates found.

I have not reinstalled Firefox, but I still have IE7 and the issue still occurs.

So help me out, anyone. What is next? I have heard some bits about Flash issues, but have not found a definitive answer.
Guidance, or direction to the answer is appreciated.

ETA: I do not have Google toolbar, and I have tried Firefox in safe mode, still having issue
Ed2 : Apparently I am having issues getting Shockwave 10.1 to install. Is this a known issue?

Edited by knottybear, 14 January 2009 - 04:16 PM.

Advertisements

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
It may be a heat problem. Have you cleaned out the cooling vents yet?

Does your laptop freeze up when playing videos other than those on the web?

Download/install Mobile Meter from my signature, it will monitor your laptop temp. Go online and try to watch some vids and see what temp your CPU is running at, then post the information here.