Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

installing windows on new drive

• Please log in to reply

kmenchaca78

kmenchaca78

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
here is a brief overview of setup, i have 2 hard drives. C and G.... C has two partitions ( C: and D: ) and G is for games and apps...etc. If i install windows and another harddrive and not use the existing drive will windows on the new drive treat my G drive the same? Will it access the programs without a problem?

Advertisements

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
No, the data will still be there, but you'd need to reinstall the programs for them to work.

wambo

wambo

• PipPip
  • 42 posts
Could you not still re install the games ect for the new drive still on G:

But just put them in a different program files folder, for example Program Files G

Or something like that?

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Yes... and that's reinstalling them again...

kmenchaca78

kmenchaca78

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Is there a way to save the registrey of my G: drive so i dont have to reinstall everything?

Battle Unit

Battle Unit

• PipPip
  • 40 posts
registry is not the only place where information of installed programs is stored. At least, a lot of software use Documents and Settings/user/Application Data/ folder.

wambo

wambo

• PipPip
  • 42 posts
Just back the whole G; drive up. Im guessing its a LOT of data but thats all I can think of.

I'd partition G: into 2 partitions. say G and F.

Use G for drive C and F for drive D or the new drive your putting in ?