Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Preventing Malware and Safe Computing

* * * * * 5 votes

• Please log in to reply

tim_amado

tim_amado

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
I a running ESET nod32 AV program with SuperAntiSpyware. Is it a good combination? Will they interfere each other? What other tools would you recommend to me to have more safety. I have just recovered from a [bleep] sality infection. I don't want that to happen again.

thanks.

Advertisements

Rorschach112

Rorschach112

Ralphie

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 47,710 posts
Thats a good combination and they should not interfere. Its only two anti-virus/firewall programs that really cause conflicts.

Add in a firewall from my recommendations, SpywareGuard, and MalwareBytes Anti-Malware. That would do a great job

Rorschach112

Rorschach112

Ralphie

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 47,710 posts
Just letting everybody know that I added a new and very cool program to the tutorial.

Here it is below if you don't want to go through the full tutorial

• FileHippo Update Checker is an extremely helpful program that will tell you which of your programs need to be updated. Its important to keep programs up to date so that malware doesn't exploit any old security flaws.

BHowett

BHowett

OT Moderator

• 4,649 posts
nice add on to the tutorial...

as always keep up the good work :)

tim_amado

tim_amado

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
I have just downloaded the SpywareGuard v. 2.2 but its database signature was dated 1/22/04.

Whenever I click the LiveUpdate it says that my signature definition is updated. Is there something wrong with spywareguard? Or it hasn't released any updates since then?

Thanks.

And another question, what of those free firewalls you recommend is the best? And, if I have installed one of them, do I have to turn off the Windows firewall?

Thanks.

Edited by tim_amado, 12 April 2009 - 12:03 AM.

Rorschach112

Rorschach112

Ralphie

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 47,710 posts
SpywareGuard is not like other anti-spyware scanner programs ( MBAM, Spybot, Ad-Aware). It doesn't need to be updated as it uses heuristics to keep your PC clean. This is far better actually. So it has no need for updates, wouldn't help at all.

For a firewall, I recommend Sunbelt's one. Yes you do have to turn off the Windows firewall if you install it.

tim_amado

tim_amado

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
Oh thanks! I have alos downloade MBAM. I scanned my laptop and it detected an infection on my registry and file. It detected Rogue.SysCleanerPro. I have it removed. Is that dangerous? I don't know when and how I got it. SAS says I'm clean though.

Thanks

Rorschach112

Rorschach112

Ralphie

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 47,710 posts
Its not that dangerous. I'd recommend you visit the Malware Removal forum anyway just to make sure its all gone

tim_amado

tim_amado

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
I have installed the SunBelt firewall but I don't know how to use it. I don't know how to add the exceptions. My bluetooth receiver won't work. Can you give me a link to know how to use the firewall? thanks.

S.O.A.D.A.

S.O.A.D.A.

• PipPipPip
  • 249 posts
Hi,

SunBelt Personal Firewall Manual

It's looks eerily similar to the Subnet tutorial (which your's truely has read), and it appears to be maintained by the same firm - Kerio.

Well....

I like Subnet. Anyways, reading the manual and being patient while learning how to use the Firewall (and getting an idea about how firewalls work in general) is a good idea. It does require some patience, but is a rewarding experience. You could, on the other hand, install it in simple mode, which means it would bug you less, but will also provide less protection (detailes on page 17 of the manual). Make your own choice.

If you use advanced mode, a good rule of thumb is not to permit any activity you are not sure was initiated by you or by any program you trust, and to check the "create a rule" box when you're sure your decision is the right one and you want to keep the settings.

After installing the firewall, disable Windows Firewall (Start -> Settings -> Control Panel -> Windows Firewall, there choose to disable Windows Firewall)
Also - and Rorschach, correct me if I'm wrong - you should disable the following service (Start -> Run > services.msc and hit enter):

Windows Firewall/Internet Connection Sharing (ICS)

Be VERY CAREFUL when fiddling with services, though. If you're not sure of what you're doing, best not to do anything

SOADA

Advertisements

Rorschach112

Rorschach112

Ralphie

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 47,710 posts
I prefer this method for disabling Windows firewall

1. Click Start, click Run, type Firewall.cpl, and then click OK.
2. On the General tab, click Off (not recommended), and then click OK.

S.O.A.D.A.

S.O.A.D.A.

• PipPipPip
  • 249 posts
OK, but after you do that, the abovementioned service will still be starting automatically at boot.
(And I know it's not a good idea to be advising people who are relatively inexperienced with computers to go messing around with services, just curious).

ttbcs

ttbcs

• PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
I've noticed that many of the products you have listed are not compatible with a Vista x64 system. Any help with setting up a new system for safe computing?

S.O.A.D.A.

S.O.A.D.A.

• PipPipPip
  • 249 posts
I have a Vista Ultimate 64. Comodo Firewall (the free variant too) works well with it (though it seems that Online Armour & Subnet don't have a 64 bit version), also Avira Antivirus, which I personally kinda like; Vista itself has an inbuilt Antyspyware application. Also managed to run Malwarebytes. Wish I'd tried installing SpywareGuard (I visit my Vista only sometimes, preferring my XP for the day-to-day : )).

ttbcs

ttbcs

• PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
I will look at Comodo Firewall. I've used Zone Alarm in the past is there a reason it's not recommended here anymore?
Malwarebytes website states that it is for Vista x32 only - would it still work on a x64 system?
Erunt doesn't list vista at all, is there a recommended way to back up the registry other than the built in back up tools?
ATF lists as XP and 2000 only, how about Ccleaner?

Thanks for your help.

Edited by ttbcs, 14 April 2009 - 10:55 AM.