Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Preventing Malware and Safe Computing

* * * * * 5 votes

• Please log in to reply

Rorschach112

Rorschach112

Ralphie

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 47,710 posts
I am not familiar with how good the Windows 7 firewall is, however the programs I did recommend are all very good. I would use them myself, I would imagine they are superior to the windows one.

Advertisements

sis35

sis35

• Pip
  • 1 posts
First off I want to thank the parties who put the cleaning guide together. I actually was able to follow it pretty well for some one who isn't that computer savvy with running programs. I was able to do everything and my lap is running a lot better now. Do I need to do a HJT or anything else before I put some of the suggested software that is in this thread?

I have some questions about a few programs here so please bare with me.
Back Up ERUNT:
I installed it and was curious as to where would go to find the ERDNT.exe that is mentioned?
Keep Back Up:
I have 2 partitions but not sure how to do back up to the other partition for safe keeping. Could you help me there?
Can I put Drive Image on the other partition or does does it ave to be downloaded to my c drive?
SandBox:
Just so I understand, with sandbox if my children and/or I happen to go to a site that really appears to be safe Isn't and we become infected,when running sandbox we (the pc) aren't just the sandbox and when the lap is shut down the infection is gone and we have a clean computer when we start it again.Is this right?
Thank you for all this wonderful information it has really helped me to understand a lot of things I didn't before coming here. :)

Thanks
sis35

Rorschach112

Rorschach112

Ralphie

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 47,710 posts
No there is no need to run HJT

Back Up ERUNT:
I installed it and was curious as to where would go to find the ERDNT.exe that is mentioned?

Its in C:\windows\ERDNT\(date of the backup)\erdnt.exe

Keep Back Up:
I have 2 partitions but not sure how to do back up to the other partition for safe keeping. Could you help me there?
Can I put Drive Image on the other partition or does does it ave to be downloaded to my c drive?

If you run a drive imaging software on the C: drive, you -can- put the image on the D: drive. And of course vice versa.

Just so I understand, with sandbox if my children and/or I happen to go to a site that really appears to be safe Isn't and we become infected,when running sandbox we (the pc) aren't just the sandbox and when the lap is shut down the infection is gone and we have a clean computer when we start it again.Is this right?

Yes that's what it does.

Cisnes

Cisnes

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Great thread - thanks!

I've had SuperAntispyware installed on my PC for a while, but now it takes ages to open (5-10 minutes) and hogs my resources as it does so, although once opened it runs ok.

I've tried reinstalling a number of times with no success.

Am I doing something wrong, or does my PC just not have enough resources for it, and if so is there another alternative?

Thanks

Rorschach112

Rorschach112

Ralphie

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 47,710 posts
Hard to tell without looking at your machine

If its causing that problem, uninstall it and just use MBAM, its better anyway

Cisnes

Cisnes

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Hard to tell without looking at your machine

If its causing that problem, uninstall it and just use MBAM, its better anyway

Thanks - a shame though, because it runs ok once it's initialized.

I do use MBAM and used to use Spybot and Ad-aware, so I may go back to one of those, unless there's another alternative you can recommend?

Rorschach112

Rorschach112

Ralphie

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 47,710 posts
Remove Spybot and Ad-ware, see if that helps. Those two programs are pretty out-dated

MBAM is the best choice though

Cisnes

Cisnes

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Sorry Rorschach I didn't make myself clear - I used to use Spybot and Ad-Aware but uninstalled them, so won't bother reinstalling them.

I'll keep SAS in case there's any improvement, but I'll stick with MAB together with SpywareGuard & Blaster which I've now installed.

On a slightly different track, what's your opinion of Microsoft Security Essentials?

Rorschach112

Rorschach112

Ralphie

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 47,710 posts
MSE seems to be very good. I've been meaning to add it into my recommendations in this tutorial but keep forgetting. I still think Avira is the best free anti-virus program though

bjm_

bjm_

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Hello g2g
Question re ERUNT. May I use regedit in lieu of ERUNT. Is ERUNT recommended because it has a functionality beyond regedit.

Thanks
bjm_

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
No Erunt is used to do a FULL REGISTRY backup. It is not used for editing.

bjm_

bjm_

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Hi
regedit > export will save a full registry backup...?
regedit > import will restore a full registry backup...?
Am I wrong?

bjm_

Edited by bjm_, 15 April 2010 - 08:19 AM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Partially right. Export does not save a full copy of the registry. This is why we use Erunt so that there is a Full and accurate backup of the registry.

bjm_

bjm_

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Hello rshaffer61
Imagine that ..all these years I've been saving weekly exports thinking I had a full Reg Backup just in case. Good thing I never needed it. So, I'm only exporting a partial backup...what's not in the backup?
Short answer will be great...
My read of Windows Help and Support suggests to me that export makes a reg backup and that Restore Point also makes a reg backup.

I read the post from user asking why ERUNT as Restore Point saves registry. I was surprised to read reply.
Any additional info reply is appreciated

bjm_

cmptrestudianto

cmptrestudianto

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Great article! I should have read it
before making my first post. :) I have MalWare Bytes, AVG, Spybot S&D,
and C cleaner, should I uninstall S&D for SUPERAntiSpyware? :)
Thank's