Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Preventing Malware and Safe Computing

* * * * * 5 votes

• Please log in to reply

Rorschach112

Rorschach112

Ralphie

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 47,710 posts
Yes that would be a good idea

Advertisements

bjm_

bjm_

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Hello
Clarification for recommended apps ~ SysRestorePoint and TFC > I wish you would include supported OS for these...and source..where am I downloading from...author / author site also helpful. How would I know if they will run on my box. Why would I run these over my OS included System Restore Point app and Disk Cleanup app or some third party app like Glary Utilities.
Clarification for restore from ERUNT...would my Security Software product tamper protection have to be disabled first as I have to do for restore from a Vista System Restore Point.

Cheers
bjm_

NocturnalPoetry0

NocturnalPoetry0

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
How is google chrome in terms of security? I always used IE, but decided to try out chrome, and it just seems to run a lot faster than IE so i've stuck with it. But i see you list Firefox and Opera as being safest.

Rorschach112

Rorschach112

Ralphie

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 47,710 posts
Google Chrome is up there with Firefox and Opera for sure. Use that if you like it.

Varayana

Varayana

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
Thank you so much for all the help. I want to make my computer and internet as safe as possible. I currently run VIPRE antivirus premium, Malwarebytes and spybot search and destroy. I plan on uninstalling spybot search and destroy and replacing it SuperAntispyware and adding .

Should I download GMER rootkit scanner, OTL, spywareblaster, spywareguard or ERUNT? My computer was comprised last week and I just want to make sure my computer is free of anything malicious. I know how they got in, and I just want to make sure I can do everything I can to prevent this from happening to me again.
Do I need GMER rootkit scanner if VIPRE has that already?

Edited by Varayana, 26 May 2010 - 01:57 PM.

Rorschach112

Rorschach112

Ralphie

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 47,710 posts
There is no need to download GMER or OTL, they are too complicated to use. Do get SpywareBlaster, SpywareGuard, ERUNT

You should post in the Malware forum to make sure your PC is clean.

Varayana

Varayana

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
Thanks so much for the reply. I went back to reread your original post and I saw where you said I need to make sure I am only running one real time anti-spyware protection program. VIPRE antivirus premium does this for me and I don't want to mess anything up if I download spywareguard. So I shouldn't download that one I am assuming.
I don't know if spywareblaster is the same thing. It says on their website it can work with other internet security programs, so I will give it a shot. :)

I will post in the malware forum to make sure my computer is clean.

Rorschach112

Rorschach112

Ralphie

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 47,710 posts
You can download SpywareBlaster, its not real-time protection

Varayana

Varayana

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
Thank you so much for everything. I am going to get my computer at work up to date on this as well. They use McAfee and I honestly don't care too much for McAfee, but I have to use it so having other things is perfect. I made a post in the Malware thread. Now, I just have to wait.

Edited by Varayana, 27 May 2010 - 08:29 AM.

Matai

Matai

• Pip
  • 2 posts
This is an excellent guide :) thank you for taking the time to put it together for everyone

Advertisements

boadog

boadog

• Pip
  • 3 posts
HI, I've been working through the guide and have mostly found it really clear, so thanks for that.

Having just had a standard Windows Firewall I decided to install Sunbelt, but am struggling. I have gone through the guide to it, but find it difficult to understand more than the basics because I'm not very computer techie. Having installed it I now find I have no internet access when it is turned on. Can't find a guide on how to sort this problem out.

Any help much appreciated!

boadog

Rorschach112

Rorschach112

Ralphie

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 47,710 posts
It sounds like you may have a firewall conflict running. First try turn off windows firewall, this is how

1. Click Start, click Run, type Firewall.cpl, and then click OK.
2. On the General tab, click Off (not recommended), and then click OK.

Reboot and see if you still have no net access when Sunbelt is on. If so, uninstall Sunbelt.

boadog

boadog

• Pip
  • 3 posts
You are brilliant, thank you :)

Can I ask a couple of other questions? I have now got installed the following:

Avast antivirus
SpywareBlaster
Malabytes Anti-Malware
Super Anti-Spyware (had this before)
FileHippo Update Checker
Sunbelt Firewall
Firefox (had anyway but now with No Script and McAfee SiteAdvisor turned on)
Foxit instead of Adobe
CCleaner (had anyway)

Am also sorting out OpenDNS and intend to download Spyware Guard

1) Does CCleaner do the same as TFC (in your guide) and is one preferable to the other?

2) Super Anti-Spyware takes an age to open up when you turn on the PC. It doesn't seem to interfere once it's running, not that I have noticed. Do I need it as well as Malabytes?

Thanks again for the continuing support.

Rorschach112

Rorschach112

Ralphie

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 47,710 posts
Q1 - Yes they pretty much cover the same bases. TFC is better though, it was created by a developer here any issues with it can be reported and fixed very promptly

Q2 - I don't use it myself, but I can see that happening to people. I would recommend just using MBAM myself as that is by far the best

boadog

boadog

• Pip
  • 3 posts

I am now sorted (I think!)