Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

A puzzle

• Please log in to reply

inquiringminds

inquiringminds

• Pip
  • 6 posts
As I write this I am not angry. I apologize over and over for laying this out here but I needed to. Please forgive me.
Three days after receiving my computer, the following error showed up in Media Center history “Recording of Manual recording began late on (date) (time) due to a temporary failure caused by either a system malfunction or a power loss and was stopped due to a lack of audio/video data." This is a sporadic error. One time I was able to record for 46 days before it happened again. Recently it seems to happen once or twice a week. And in the past two weeks I now get the error "Video error. Files needed to display video are not installed or not working correctly. Please restart windows media center or restart the computer." With this error, the TV program records and when I go to watch it the error shows up.

The system has been set to default settings once; a fresh install of Vista has been done at least 6 times; media center has been reinstalled once; media center has been reconfigured 3 or 4 times; the work arounds have been used; the TV Tuner card has been reseated and then replaced; cable wires were replaced with top of the line ones; paid extra to get a new set top cable box through Direct TV; Direct TV checked my signal strength - it passed; have done hardware and memory testing several times - everything passed. Oh, I need to say I received my computer Jan 3, 2008. The errors still occur. The most recent error is today, I recorded from 1-4pm and when I went to watch it yep, the Video error came up.

And I noticed tonight when I was watching live TV that it acted like it was going to stop. Only way I know how to explain that. TV is being watched in the living room and there wasn't any weird stuff going on. (brother-in-law is watching TV and I asked him)

So, now I'm told that the problem is with the media IO acclerator that connects to the motherboard to the TV Tuner card. I'm being sent another one. Has anyone heard of this before? What really gets me is, if this is indeed the problem then that would mean I was sent a bad system to begin with. That was strictly my HUMBLE opinion. It is also my opinion that the laws governing sales of computers either need to be put in place or revamped. I truly resent paying $2400 for a NEW computer with NEW parts only to begin have refurbished parts put in after a week of owning the system. I also resent that a system that is 5 months old being replaced by a refurbished system. I could see this if my system was out of the warranty or the system was over a year old. But, I'm just an old woman whose opinions don't matter in this day and age. Yes, I sent all my issues to the top guy, it was given to someone lower who basically told me oh well to bad so sad! They got their $2400 and I get garbage.

Oh, my system is
XPS 420
Vista Home Premium
Intel Core2 Duo E6850 3.0GHz
3GB 800MHz DDR2 4Dimm
500GB 7200RPM Seriel Hard Drive
ATI Theatre 650 Pro Combo analog/digital
Nvidia GeForce 8800 GT
SB X-FI Xtreme Gamer

Thanks for listening. I just wondered if anyone else ever had this problem recording and if so what they did to resolve it. I also wanted to know if anyone heard of the media IO Accelerator going bad.

Advertisements