Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

I'm thinking of building another pc

• Please log in to reply

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
The correct connection is called the EPS/ATX12V 8-4 pin and can be found here (bottom of resources tab). I've added the picture of the correct connector below, but view it on the page so you can compare it with the PCI-E 8-pin (similar but not the correct one).

Posted Image

EDIT: PwrFan is for the fan sensor on the PSU. Some PSUs don't have them (not sure about yours), but my Antec True Power Trio 650W does.

Edited by Troy, 15 February 2009 - 04:00 PM.

Advertisements

Denisejm

Denisejm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 782 posts
Hi Troy,

Thanks again for your help.

That connector isn't on any of the cables coming off the psu. I knew what to look for last night and I knew it wasn't the PCIE 8-pin connector, even though it's flat on one side and would fit into the port. I looked thru the connectors several times last night and I looked through all of them again twice just now, and I then had my daughter look through them but the EPS/ATX12V 9-4pin connector isn't there, not with one flat side. The only one that comes close to matching it, with 8 holes, has the additions on both sides as I showed in my sketch, neither side is flat.

In post #83, I attached a picture of the psu connectors. The one that I have is the second one from the right, with additions on both sides. The picture doesn't show the EPS/ATX12V 9-4pin connector with one flat side either.

EDIT: Added pic of connector

Edited by Denisejm, 15 February 2009 - 08:21 PM.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
It's called the EPS/ATX12V 8-4pin, as it can be used as either an 8 pin or 4 pin CPU power connector (It can separate in half to be used as a 4 pin). That should be the one. It doesn't fit? It should only go in one way, have you tried rotating it?

Denisejm

Denisejm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 782 posts
If you look at the picture of the mobo, there is only room for the side of the connector without the additional parts on at least one side. It would then be flush with the white bar right above it. I took it apart last night, hoping that one of the additional parts on a side would be removed but they remained, one half of each additional part on each separation. The only other thing that I can think of is to shave off the smaller additional part on the side, if possible. It serves only to lock the two parts together. Once they're connected to the mobo, they should stay together because of the connection. Rotating didn't help. The second hole of the connector is midway between the white bar and the additional part on the connector is in the way.

I contacted Corsair Tech Services using a form. The next page gave me an RMA number, which isn't what I want to do . . . the new one will only have the same connector. I was hoping that they could send me an adapter.

(my camera doesn't take good close-ups)

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Yes I see the problem now. That does seem to be poor placement on the motherboard on Gigabyte's behalf. There should be a little more room around the connection than that.

Wait and see what the Corsair Support response is, they may have experience with your motherboard. It might just pay to shave off part like you've said, although I wouldn't recommend it until the very last option.

Denisejm

Denisejm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 782 posts
I've been in contact with Corsair about the EPS/ATX12V 8-4 pin connector. They said that the 8-pin EPS connector has worked fine with the Gigabyte MOBOs in their lab, they have no adapter, and suggested that I try "twisting and wiggling" one of the 4-pin connectors into the port.

I'm not comfortable about twisting and wiggling one of the 4-pin connectors into the port in order to make a connection that's as vital as this one. I'm also concerned about using only one 4-pin connector with the twelve 750G to 1T drives installed (and some 2T drives in the future). Giving the motherboard only 1/2 the power that it asks for with the 8-pin port has to cause problems. If I had only one or two hdds, I wouldn't be concerned, but I'll have twelve large internal drives, 4 USB 2.0 external hdds, and 5 external firwire hdds when the pc is first up and running until I can replace some of my 750G internals with 2T internals in a year or so.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
This is for CPU power, but yes I'd want all 8 plugs to fit in. I find computer parts can usually take a small amount of pressure, being firm is the key, not forceful.

I would have a good go at it, take it to a local shop and see if they have any luck with it, or contact Gigabyte support about the poor placement of the connector.

Denisejm

Denisejm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 782 posts
I got nowhere with Corsair. The tech insisted that the 4-pin would install and would be sufficient and that was that, according to him. :)

I decided to try to connect the entire 8-pin conector. I gently inserted it but it moved the white bar over about 1/8" to the side. I'm hoping that it's ok. :)

I found the correct way to install the hdds. I don't have to remove the racks, just screw in the screws first, insert them into the bays, and lock them in using a clip mechanism at the rear of the bay. I originally thought that I had to insert the screws into the drives while they were in the racks. Since everything else is done except for installing the fdd (I haven't gotten the RMA back yet), once I install the hdd, it should post. (fingers crossed)

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
If everything is connected properly, the system should POST with only the minimum installed. The minimum is:
  • Motherboard
  • CPU and Heatsink/fan
  • 1 stick of RAM
  • Video card for display
  • Power Supply
I do this all the time (not even in a case or anything) to determine which part is faulty, when repairing computers in my business. No floppy drive, hard drive, CD drive, or any extra add-on cards. It should POST.

Just a quick question, I reviewed the CPU Power pictures, I'm not sure which "white bar" was moved when you inserted the power connector?

Cheers

Troy

Denisejm

Denisejm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 782 posts
The white bar is on the mobo, right above the connector on the mobo.

I'll try to post it soon . . . the kitchen counter has other things on it from dinner, we just finished. I'll let you know very soon if it posts. Thanks for the info.

Advertisements

Denisejm

Denisejm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 782 posts
I just plugged it in. The S4/5 red led lit up, the blue "Reset" and "CMOS" lit up, and another blue led with a symbol on it lit up. The symbol looks like a circle with a line partially through it, like a keylock symbol. Another red led lit up but quickly turned off so I couldn't catch the name of it. I turned it off and turned it back on but it didn't come on again. Is that posting? This pc is very different than the one I previously built. There aren't as many led connectors to connect in this one.

Edited by Denisejm, 18 February 2009 - 07:57 PM.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
The POST is the initial display that comes on the screen when you first power on the computer. It can be either a basic picture, or a whole bunch of text. During POST is the time to enter BIOS settings.

Do you get anything on the screen at all? Or just lights on the motherboard?

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Okay, finally found one, although this is very old, but you get the idea:

Posted Image

Denisejm

Denisejm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 782 posts
I didn't have the monitor connected. I do most of the work on the pc when everyone else is asleep. I'll connect the monitor then. It'll also give me a chance to look through the mobo manual to see what settings I'll need to change in BIOS, if any. Thanks again for the info, Troy. :)

EDIT: None of the fans turned on when I powered it up.

Edited by Denisejm, 18 February 2009 - 07:49 PM.

Denisejm

Denisejm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 782 posts
I just looked through the mobo manual to find info about the led lights that lit up when I turned on the pc.

None of the top row of pictures that explain the led lights lit up, which is good.
The second row picture shows that the led light S4/5, which lit up, shows a potential problem. S4 = sleep state.
The third row of pictures show the 3 leds that lit up when I powered up the pc.

Edited by Denisejm, 18 February 2009 - 09:08 PM.