Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

I'm thinking of building another pc

• Please log in to reply

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
That message happens when the system doesn't find anything to boot.

Does the DVD Drive come up in the BIOS, and is it configured correctly? If not, it may be faulty and need an RMA. Even if it is, that grinding noise doesn't sound right, do you have another working DVD drive to swap in to test?

Troy

Advertisements

Denisejm

Denisejm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 782 posts

Does the DVD Drive come up in the BIOS, and is it configured correctly?

I can make it the first in the boot sequence but other than that, I don't know where else to look for it in BIOS. If by "configured correctly," you're asking if I have it connected properly, yes, I do.  The light comes on and I can hear the disk spinning up.  I'm also planning on RMAing it.  I don't like the sound it makes.

I thought about it all day yesterday and I'm going to take the fdd out of my daughter's broken computer and the DVD drive out of my pc today.  I'll let you know what happens.

Denisejm

Denisejm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 782 posts
I was also looking for what might be the problem with the installation of Windows, if the reason wasn't due to the fact that I didn't have a fdd installed and/or the DVD drive was ok.  I found this at a help site when I Googled "disk boot failure.":

Problem:
An EIDE, SCSI, or Serial ATA (SATA) drive is not recognized during the installation of Windows 2000/2003/XP/Vista (32 or 64 bit).  The installer reports that there is no drive present for the Windows installation, even though the controller recognizes the drive.

Cause:
The drive may not be detected during the installation of Windows because you have not yet loaded the drivers for your EIDE, SCSI, or SATA controller.

Resolution:
During the initial installation of Windows, you will need to press F6 almost immediately when "Setup is inspecting your hardware..." appears on the screen.  You will then be asked to provide any mass storage controller drivers you may have. At this point, use the drivers supplied by your controller manufacturer (or motherboard manufacturer).  After performing the steps above, the drive will be recognized and the install should continue without problems.

I also wrote to WD Tech Support yesterday about the drives that I purchased for this pc.  This was my question:

I'm building a new pc.  I purchased 5 WD Caviar Black WD1001FALS drives.  After posting, the computer could not continue to install Windows.  I continued to receive a message that said, "Disk boot failure, insert system disk and press enter."  After reading about Data Lifeguard Tools 11.2 for Windows, I tried to make a Lifeugard Tools CD but I received a message that the hdd is not intended for my os.  I have Windows XP Pro x64.  Are WD Caviar Black WD1001FALS hdds compatible with XP x64?

This is the response that I received from them today:

Dear Denise,

Thank you for contacting Western Digital Customer Service and Support.

The Caviar Black WD1001FALS is completely compatible with Windows XP and Vista.  The issue most likely is that XP does not natively support SATA drives.  You will need to locate the SATA/RAID/AHCI drivers.  During your initial install of Windows you will be asked to press F6 to install third party drives.  you will need to use this option and install drives when prompted.

Sincerely,
James K.
Western Digital Service and Support
http://support.wdc.com

So I did press F6, but for a different reason, but it didn't work.

The response also stated, "you will need to use this option and install drives when prompted."  This suggests that the drive shouldn't be connected until I get a prompt.  This may be for pc's that are up and running and someone wants to add a drive but I did mention that this is a new build so I'm going to disconnect the drive when I boot up to see what happens.  EDIT: I disconnected the drive during boot-up and pressed F6 but I again received the Boot Disk Error message.

Personally, I never thought that a new model SATA hdd would be on the market that's incompatible with x64.  :)

Edited by Denisejm, 23 February 2009 - 04:05 PM.

Denisejm

Denisejm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 782 posts
I was reading more about the mobo and SATA in the mobo manual. My comments are in green and my questions are in bold green:

5-1 Configuring SATA Hard Drive(s)
To configure SATA hard drive(s), follow the steps below:
A. Install SATA hard drive(s) in your computer.
B. Configure SATA controller mode in BIOS Setup. <--- I just set the SATA controller to ACHI in BIOS. Is this correct?
C. Configure a RAID array in RAID BIOS. (Note 1)  (Note 1 = Skip this step if you do not want to create RAID array on the SATA controller.) <---- I skipped this step.
D. Make a floppy disk containing the SATA RAID/AHCI driver. (Note 2)  (Note 2 = Required when the SATA controller is set to AHCI or RAID mode.) <---- Where can I get the SATA ACHI driver?
E. Install the SATA RAID/AHCI driver and operating system. (Note 2) <---- How do I install the SATA ACHI driver?
Before you begin
Please prepare:
• At least two SATA hard drives (to ensure optimal performance, it is recommended that you use two hard drives with identical model and capacity). If you do not want to create RAID, you may
prepare only one hard drive. <---- I installed (prepared ?) 1 drive
• An empty formatted floppy disk.
• Windows Vista/XP setup disk.
• Motherboard driver disk.

5-1-1 Configuring the Onboard SATA Controller:

A. Installing SATA hard drive(s) in your computer <------- I installed the drive already.
Attach one end of the SATA signal cable to the rear of the SATA hard drive and the other end to available SATA port on the motherboard. If there is more than one SATA controller on your motherboard, refer to "Chapter 1," "Hardware Installation," to identify the SATA controller for the SATA port. (For example, on this motherboard, the SATA2_0, SATA2_1, SATA2_2, SATA2_3, SATA2_4 and SATA2_5 ports are supported by ICH10R Southbridge.) Then connect the power connector from your power supply to the hard drive.

Edited by Denisejm, 23 February 2009 - 09:47 PM.

Denisejm

Denisejm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 782 posts
To give you a better understanding of the BIOS and CMOS settings, I'm attaching some pictures.

Attached Thumbnails

• BIOS_Settings.jpg
  • CMOS_Settings.jpg
  • CMOS_Setup_IDE_Channel_0_Master.jpg

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts

B. Configure SATA controller mode in BIOS Setup. <--- I just set the SATA controller to ACHI in BIOS. Is this correct?

No, change this to the IDE mode.

Denisejm

Denisejm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 782 posts
There's no option for IDE, only Disabled or RAID/ACHI. I switched it back to Disabled.

Does it look like these drives won't work with an x64 os?

Edited by Denisejm, 24 February 2009 - 09:50 AM.

Denisejm

Denisejm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 782 posts
I removed the DVD and fdd from my daughter's computer. I was able to connect the fdd but her DVD drive is IDE and there were no more ports for the ribbon cable. The 2-connector ribbon cable connectors were too wide for the mobo and fdd ports. I reinstalled the SATA DVD drive that I bought and received the Boot Disk Error message again. So even with a fdd installed and the boot order sequence changed to DVD drive = 1st, it still won't work. The hdd spins up but I think it's not compatible with x64, but I'd like to know for sure before I send them all back and buy a different kind. I also requested a refund for the DVD drive and I'm going to order a new one. RMAing for an exchange with NewEgg takes too long. It's been at least 3-4 weeks since I sent back the fdd with UPS and I haven't received the new one yet.

Please let me know your thoughts about whether or not it's probable that the WD Caviar Black WD1001FALS drives aren't compatible with x64.

EDIT: I disconnected the hdd but it still wouldn't boot to the Windows loading screen. I would think that it's not the DVD drive or the hdd. What else could it be?

Edited by Denisejm, 24 February 2009 - 01:36 PM.

Denisejm

Denisejm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 782 posts
I found the problem. It was the cable. It was the only thing that I didn't reseat or change. When I put a new cable on, it asked if I wanted to boot from CD and it's installing Windows right now. All that's left to do is to install the other drives, which will be easy.

More pics to come when I have them all installed and when I connect the other parts that I had to remove to install the mobo. This is going to be one awesome machine!

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Glad you found it, sorry I have been extremely busy lately, but I do check in on you from time to time. :)

Troy

Advertisements

Denisejm

Denisejm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 782 posts
I have to keep the boot order sequence where the CD-ROM drive is first or it won't boot to Windows. When I changed it so that the fdd was first in the boot order sequence, it went as far as the Windows black screen with the scrolling bar and then the screen went black and it didn't boot any further. When I put the CD-ROM drive as first in boot order sequence, it boots all the way to Windows desktop. I don't see any problems with this configuration during normal operation but I'm thinking about how it will affect BIOS updates when I put them on a floppy disk and the fdd isn't first in the boot order sequence. Does anyone have any ideas on this?

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Press F12 and manually select the Boot Drive (during POST).

Denisejm

Denisejm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 782 posts
To get to the POST screen, I have to press Tab. It goes by very quickly. I can just see that Channel Masters or Channel Slave all are 0 Devices. On the bottom of the POST screen, it has a menu where I can press F12 for the Boot Menu. The selection checked is Hard Disk. When I moved the selection to Floppy and hit Enter, the first boot device remained CD/DVD drive.

I rebooted the computer and chose F12 and it still showed Hard Disk to be first in boot order. I tried it again and the same thing happened.

The next time I tried, I chose USB-Floppy, hit Enter, and the first boot device again remained CD/DVD drive.

I don't know why it Hard Disk remains as first in Boot Menu in POST because in BIOS, I have CD/DVD drive set as first.

EDIT: I played around with the Boot Menu and BIOS Boot Sequence. I've changed the first boot to Floppy in Boot Menu several times but the first boot remains Hard Disk.
For some reason, Floppy was able to be first in Boot Sequence in BIOS and it booted to my desktop. I also changed 2nd to CD/DVD drive and 3rd to Hard Drive at the same time.
But in POST screen, Boot Menu still shows Hard Disk to be first.

BIOS:
Chosen = Hard Disk Boot Priority = Press Enter
When I press Enter, the choises are: 1. WDC WD10001FLS-00J7B0, 2. Bootable Add-in Cards. #1 is chosen and I left it that way.
First Boot = Floppy
Second Boot = CD/DVD drive
Third Boot = Hard Disk

CMOS (I made no changes):
IDE Channel 0 Master = None
When I press Enter, the choises are 1. IDE Channel 0 Master = Auto. Drop down menu = None, Auto, Manual
IDE Channel 0 Slave = WDC WD1001FLS-00J70
IDE Channel 1 Master = None
IDE Channel 1 Slave = Pioneer DVD-RW

When I rebooted my pc, it again showed that CD/DVD drive is first in boot sequence, but in Boot Menu, it shows that Hard Disk is first and in BIOS, it shows that Floppy is first.   :)   :)   :)

Edited by Denisejm, 02 March 2009 - 05:17 AM.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Is the correct floppy drive type checked in the BIOS?

EDIT: It should be similar to this, I just remembered I did this not long ago:

Posted Image

Edited by Troy, 02 March 2009 - 06:55 AM.

Denisejm

Denisejm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 782 posts
It's what I have too.

Is it odd that I have no Master?

Attached Thumbnails

• CMOS.jpg

Edited by Denisejm, 02 March 2009 - 07:17 PM.