Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

I'm thinking of building another pc

• Please log in to reply

PedroDaGR8

PedroDaGR8

• PipPipPip
  • 786 posts
It may be the SCSI card is the RAID card. I have had Windows improperly identify RAID cards in the past as SCSI cards until the driver was installed. This is just an idea I am throwing out here.

Advertisements

Denisejm

Denisejm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 782 posts
This set of pictures were taken before I disconnected all of the drives.

Attached Thumbnails

• 1._RR_Boot_Up_Screen.jpg
  • 2._Device_Manager.jpg
  • 3._RR_BIOS__Screen_1.jpg
  • 4._RR_BIOS_Settings_Screen.jpg
  • 5._RR_BIOS_Boot_Device_Screen.jpg
  • 6._CMOS_Setup_Utility.jpg

Denisejm

Denisejm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 782 posts
This set of pictures were taken after I disconnected all of the hdds except Drive C.

Attached Thumbnails

• 1._Disk_Management.jpg
  • 2._CMOS_Setup_Utility.jpg
  • 3._RR_BIOS.jpg
  • 4._CMOS_Setup.jpg

Edited by Denisejm, 08 March 2009 - 12:05 PM.

Denisejm

Denisejm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 782 posts
Hi Pedro,

It may be the SCSI card is the RAID card. I have had Windows improperly identify RAID cards in the past as SCSI cards until the driver was installed. This is just an idea I am throwing out here.

I'm unable to install a driver for the adapter card. I don't want to set up a RAID Array, I want each drive to be seen separately, even the drives that I connected to the controller card.

PedroDaGR8

PedroDaGR8

• PipPipPip
  • 786 posts
When I said RAID card I meant the adapter. The card has RAID functionality (even though you won't use it), so I called it a RAID card.

Denisejm

Denisejm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 782 posts
What do I do, though, since I can't install the driver for the card?

PedroDaGR8

PedroDaGR8

• PipPipPip
  • 786 posts
You SHOULD be able to install the driver from within windows.

Denisejm

Denisejm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 782 posts
When I put the CD in the CD/DVD drive, it won't install and when I put it on a floppy disk, it won't install.   Both ways, it tells me that it's a non-system disk and to remove it and press Enter to continue.   It then boots to Windows.

EDIT: These are the files that are in the x64 driver folder for the card.   What else can I do with them if they won't install from the CD or the floppy?

Attached Thumbnails

• x64_Driver_c.jpg

Edited by Denisejm, 08 March 2009 - 05:56 PM.

Denisejm

Denisejm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 782 posts
Hi Pedro,

You gave me an idea when you mentioned SCSI. I took a chance and went into Control Panel > Add Hardware > and after a Windows searched for the hardware and didn't find it, I was given an option to lead it to the software. I led it to the controller card's driver. When it was finished, "RocketRaid 2320 SATA Controller" appeared in Device Manager. I never would have thought that the controller card's driver is SCSI.

I haven't connected another drive yet because I'm concerned that I might make an array out of some of them somehow. The pictures that I took before I disconnected all the drives except for Drive C are shown in the RocketRaid BIOS. Two of the drives are shown as Legacy and I don't know what that means. Two other drives were listed as New. Does anyone know if these 4 drives were made into RAID array drives? I didn't initialize the drives as RAID so I think they may not be.

EDIT: Added picture

Attached Thumbnails

• SCSI_Driver_installed_using_Controller_Card_Windows_Driver_c.jpg

Edited by Denisejm, 08 March 2009 - 10:24 PM.

Denisejm

Denisejm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 782 posts
I've re-connected the drives to the adapter card this afternoon and several of them were recognized by My Computer and Disk Management, but others weren't.   Some hdds that are connected to the yellow ports on the mobo aren't shown in My Computer or Disk Management.   These are hdds that I took out of external enclosures and were working properly at the time.   I don't know if moving them from an external enclosure caused them to stop working.   I tried different cables and different ports but it didn't help.   I'm going to remove them from the case and put them back in their external enclosures to see if they work.

Other hdds that I took out of their external enclosures were recognized by My Computer and Disk Management right away.   Installing SCSI was what the controller card needed.   The name of the drive on the CD is rr232x.   That's pretty confusing.   Pedro, if you hadn't mentioned it, I never would've thought to install it as the SCSI driver that had the yellow question mark on it in Device Manager . . .  many thanks   :)

When I re-connected all the drives again, one new SATA drive was recognized by Disk Management also.  I formatted it and I'm moving files to it now.  The other one wasn't recognized by Disk Management even though I changed the cables and ports.   I'm hoping that when I re-boot, my computer will have found new hardware (the new drive).

I'm making progress here, slowly but surely.  If anybody has any ideas, thoughts or suggestions, please jump in.   I could use all the help I can get.   :)

Edited by Denisejm, 09 March 2009 - 05:29 PM.

Advertisements

Denisejm

Denisejm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 782 posts
I'm down to 2 drives not working. They're both new WD 1T hdds. I've switched their ports and cables with ports and cables that I know are working so it has to be the drive. If it's not the drive, then RAID is holding them hostage and I can't get at them. If anyone thinks that this could be a possibility, please let me know how I can free them up. I have no way of testing them to see if they're ok so I'm going to do an RMA sometine this week.

It's strange, but the controller card still isn't listed in Device Manager, just the driver for it is there. Is this normal?

Denisejm

Denisejm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 782 posts
Here's the computer all built, except two drives don't work. I'm working on fixing it though. I also want to buy some shorter cables to get rid of the clutter.

Attached Thumbnails

• Computer_Finished_1_031009_c.jpg

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
:)

Looks awesome, I'd love to see that thing in the flesh. If it's only two drives not working, I'd say either the drives themselves or the data cable. Try swapping cables and ports around and see what you come up with.

How are you finding the general performance of the machine?

Cheers

Troy

Denisejm

Denisejm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 782 posts
LOL . . . it is awesome! James did a great job picking out the parts and you helped me a lot too. I thank you for all that help and thanks to Pedro too. :)

I figured out what was wrong with the drives. One of them was brand new but the computer didn't recognize it for some reason. I brought it downstairs to my present pc and put it in an external enclosure. My pc recognized it right away. I formatted it and installed it in the new pc and it recognized it. The other one was working when I removed it from its external enclosure but it's not spinning up anymore. I don't know what happened to it. I ordered another drive to replace it. I'm also going to order some shorter cables because the ones that came with the adapter card are over 14" too long. It'll get rid of some of the congestion in the case.

I haven't started using it yet. I just put the formatted drive in it last night and when I tried to pick it up to bring it downstairs, :) I couldn't pick it up! I have to wait until my son-in-law can give me a hand.

I'm having one problem with it and I don't know what's causing it. Most times, I have to boot up 2 times. The first time it stops somewhere before it gets to my desktop and I have to hit the Reset button. The second time, it boots all the way but asks me if I want to start Windows normally or the Last best know configuration, etc. I'm not trying to figure out the problem now, I'll do it when I get it down here and get it all set up. Other than that, it works really well. It's nice to get rid of all the wires that I had from all the externals. I have 4 externals left but I can live with that. When 2T drives come out and they come down in price, I'll swap a few 750G hdds for the 2T's and I'll get rid of the externals. Right now, about 1/2 of my sofa is filled with small/firewire externals and empty enclosures.

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
Hi Denise,

I just read this whole topic, well skimmed some too. :)

Just wanted to say congrats on the new build! Looks good!

When I hear the humor about how big your case is...check this out.

Thermaltake Level 10

Maybe in the future? :)