Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

I'm thinking of building another pc

• Please log in to reply

Denisejm

Denisejm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 588 posts
Holy-moly . . . it looks like it would run a city! And, NO, I wouldn't even attempt to build it, LMAO. I'd drive the people here crazy, if I haven't already!

I haven't connected the new pc yet but I will soon and I'll post some pics.

Advertisements

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
Didn't mean to jump in out of no where, but I thought you might find that interesting :) I don't know if that is something the techs/staff already know about or not.

I will continue to follow the thread, I have learned a lot.

Edit: Just in case it wasn't clear, that is just a case, all you have to do is fit stuff inside LOL. I wonder if that is just for a computer, or if it can also have room to be a server or something too?

Edited by Ferrari, 13 March 2009 - 04:17 PM.

Denisejm

Denisejm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 588 posts
I hope somebody can help with this. I connected everything to the computer except for my sound system. There are 2 connectors . . .  1 for the speakers and 1 for the subwoofer.  The connector that goes into the green port is fine.  The other connector is too short and shaped wrong to fit into the power connector on the backplate of the motherboard.  Is there an adapter that I can buy?

The one that I have is about 1/2" long and straight, no bumps.  I need one that looks like a headphone connector with the 2 bumps on it.  I don't know how to explain it any better.  If a picture is needed, I can post one.

Device Manager shows 2 yellow question marks for Audio Device on High Definition Audio.

PedroDaGR8

PedroDaGR8

• PipPipPip
  • 786 posts
Please post a picture, I THINK I know what it is, but a picture would be helpful.

Denisejm

Denisejm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 588 posts
The green connector is for the speakers and it fits fine. The black connector is for the power/subwoofer. I tried it in every port on the backplate but it's too small and slips out. It fit fine in the port in the backplate of my old computer.

Attached Thumbnails

• Speaker___Subwoofer_Connectors.jpg

Denisejm

Denisejm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 588 posts
Except for a few little bugs, the new computer that you all help me build, and you know who you are and I owe you a million thanks for it, is up and running.

Here are the Before pictures . . .

Attached Thumbnails

• Before_1.jpg
  • Before_2.jpg
  • Before_3.jpg

Denisejm

Denisejm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 588 posts
. . . and here are the After pictures  :)  :)  :)

Attached Thumbnails

• 1_Items_Removed_c.jpg
  • 2_Disk_Management___17_drives_c.jpg
  • 3_New_PC_1.jpg
  • 4_New_PC_2.jpg

PedroDaGR8

PedroDaGR8

• PipPipPip
  • 786 posts
WOW, THAT IS AWESOME. SOOOO CLEAN now. I am JEALOUS.

That being said. It is EXACTLY what I thought, the sub plug is an RCA plug. Radioshack or somewhere like that will have the needed adapter, just ask for an rca to headphone adapter.

Denisejm

Denisejm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 588 posts
Yea, I'm more than happy with it.  It's just what I wanted, and really needed to clean up that mess.  I couldn't have asked for better.

Thanks much for the info about the adapter.  :)

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,839 posts
I agree, it looks totally awesome!

I'm a bit unsure about why you need to boot twice to get it to the desktop, are you still having that problem? Have you downloaded and applied all the Microsoft Windows Updates available for your machine?

Also, for the device manager, the yellow question marks indicate problems - possibly driver problems or other. What does the error message say? Have you installed drivers for it yet? Are you getting sound?

Troy

Advertisements

Denisejm

Denisejm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 588 posts
In Device Manager, there aren't any yellow question marks any longer. I had already installed the audio drivers and when I connected to the internet, I updated it. I bought the adapter that Pedro recommended and I have audio now.

It takes between 2 and 4 tries to boot up. It randomly stops at two different points, either before the black Windows screen with the scrolling bar or a little further along with the blue Windows screen that I think says that Windows is loading, but not in those words.

In Disk Management, Drive C is Disk 3. I wasn't able to make it Disk 0 or Disk 1. It was the first drive that I installed but when I installed other drives, the computer assigned them their Disk numbers and moved Drive C to Disk 3. I connected Drive C to SATA2_0 port. I went into BIOS but I didn't want to play with the Master and Slave settings. I now have 7 WDD1001FALS drives but without knowing which one is Drive C, I didn't want to give a drive a designation.

I'm also having another problem that's related to this. I use the Reset button when the pc doesn't boot all the way to my desktop. The next time, it asks me if I want to Start Windows normally or Last settings that work. My keyboard doesn't work in this Window. I can't go up to choose Last settings that worked and I can't press Enter so that it will Start Windows normally. It just counts down from 20 and then reboots. I'm going to try another keyboard to see if it makes a difference.

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts

I'm also having another problem that's related to this. I use the Reset button when the pc doesn't boot all the way to my desktop. The next time, it asks me if I want to Start Windows normally or Last settings that work. My keyboard doesn't work in this Window. I can't go up to choose Last settings that worked and I can't press Enter so that it will Start Windows normally. It just counts down from 20 and then reboots. I'm going to try another keyboard to see if it makes a difference.

This is a common (universal?) issue with USB keyboards when the system doesn't shut down properly. Using a PS/2 keyboard will work.

PedroDaGR8

PedroDaGR8

• PipPipPip
  • 786 posts
I wouldn't call that bug universal but it is common. I used a USB keyboard for years and never had it happen to me, but I have heard of it with others.

Edited by PedroDaGR8, 16 March 2009 - 04:13 PM.

Denisejm

Denisejm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 588 posts
My daughter has a Microsoft keyboard. I'm going to borrow it and see if it makes a difference. If a keyboard won't work in this window, I won't be able to get into Safe Mode either.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,839 posts
Have you enabled BIOS Keyboard support?