Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

I'm thinking of building another pc

• Please log in to reply

Denisejm

Denisejm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 782 posts

Assuming these drives are older then 1 year, there is a very good chance that you won't be able to do much of anything that we talked about in this thread with many of your drives.

Of my 11 IDE drives, 4
of them are under a year old, 3 of them are between 1 and 2 years old and 4 of them are 2+ years old. Four of them are small so I want to eliminate them anyway, and the age of my IDE drives won't matter . . . I'll just eliminate ones that won't work in the case.

I have 8 SATA drives. Six of them are under a year old and the other 2 are around 2 years old. One of my older ones just failed and another one failed a couple of months ago.

I also have 3 Firewire drives.

I bought a 1T SATA drive a couple of weeks ago that was RMA'd and I'm waiting for it's return. I bought a SATA 1T drive that arrived today and I just ordered a SATA 750G drive today. I want to buy at least 2 more SATA 1T drives in the future.,

Lastly, that enclosure you keep bringing up will require a additional controller for eSATA.

Can they just be connected to a 4-port SATA HUB? It's what I was thinking.

I know that my mobo is pretty bad. The reason I bought it is a long story so I won't get into it.

I'm definitely willing to build a new pc, with help. I don't undertand the technical specs about hardware, even though I'm good at working with it. It's like the case that I was thinking of buying . . . you told me that several of the bays were 5.5" and 2 for optical. I didn't see that . . . I saw 12 bays. I need a bay for a floppy drive and one for my DVD drive and the rest for hard drives.

I'm thinking that I can spend up to $700 for a case and motherboard, more if really needed. I'd want a cpu that can handle multi-tasking very well, such as moving files while I'm running defrag. I have a dual core cpu now that can't do that. I'd spend a decent amount of money on that too, to get what is really good. The 2x1G twin sticks of RAM that I purchased for my computer came in 3 speeds. I bought the medium speed and I regret that now. I should've bought the fastest speed.

It's not that speed itself is important because I don't do gaming. I want a solid computer that won't crash or freeze when I have 8 externals turned on while I'm running another program or two. I also want the drives to be internals because my externals fail pretty fast, within a couple of years, some less time than that. The last few drives that I bought have 5-year warranties so if they fail within a couple of years, I can RMA them instead of buying new ones. That'll save me a lot of money . . . at least $500.00 a year.

Edited by Denisejm, 16 January 2009 - 09:06 PM.

Advertisements

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
The reason for your hard drive failures is because external hard drives don't have proper air flow, thus the drives often operate under conditions in which they were not built. Over time, this takes its toll and eventually the drives fail. Taking the drives out of these external enclosures will help extend their lifespan if the new enclosure has proper ventilation, in a computer case, this is almost always true.
It's a good thing you brought up dying hard drives, it is for this reason that I was trying to direct you towards a NAS or windows home server solution. While the windows home server is undoubtedly a more difficult task then the NAS, it'll have greater expandability and functionality, but lack the simplicity of that of a NAS configuration. While these methods will prove to be costly, they will protect your data by adding additional redundancy, there by protecting you from a hard drive failure. Because you have so much data, among which there is probably a fair amount of unreplaceable data. Doing this will serve you and your data better in the long run.

I'm definitely willing to build a new pc, with help. I don't undertand the technical specs about hardware, even though I'm good at working with it.

If this is the case, I suggest you build a Windows Home Server for simplicity. That being said, you'll need to learn a little bit about networking. Just a heads up, if you go this route, you're not going to want to use your new computer as your official desktop, it'll only be used as a means of storing data.

I'm thinking that I can spend up to $700 for a case and motherboard, more if really needed.

If you mean 700$ for the entire build, it'll likely be doable, but it'll be cutting it close.

I'd want a cpu that can handle multi-tasking very well, such as moving files while I'm running defrag.

You are doing two hard drive intensive tasks, no CPU is going to improve the situation. Sorry.

The 2x1G twin sticks of RAM that I purchased for my computer came in 3 speeds. I bought the medium speed and I regret that now. I should've bought the fastest speed.

RAM makes a negligible difference on the overall speed of your computer.
James

Denisejm

Denisejm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 782 posts

The reason for your hard drive failures is because external hard drives don't have proper air flow, thus the drives often operate under conditions in which they were not built. Over time, this takes its toll and eventually the drives fail.

Some of my external cases have fans built into them, other don't, but I always have a vornedo fan blowing on them and they're always cool to the touch. Some drives are turned on for only a few minutes to 1/2 hour so that I can copy new originals to them and then I shut them off. I also believe that the cases are damaging the drives but for a different reason . . . the cases break. I just bought this case http://www.newegg.co...N82E16817371008 and removed the "broken" drives from their cases. Two out of 3 drives worked in the case. They were small drives so I backed up some files onto them and then put them in anti-static bags and put them in a box. When or if I need to access the backups, I'll jput the drives back in the case to have access to them.

If you mean 700$ for the entire build, it'll likely be doable, but it'll be cutting it close.

I'll be spending $700.00 on the motherboard and case. This would get me started. I would then buy another part . . . cpu, heatsink/fan, RAM, psu, hdd, etc, as money becomes available. The entire cost of the computer would be between $1,800 to a maximum of $2,500.

If this is the case, I suggest you build a Windows Home Server for simplicity. That being said, you'll need to learn a little bit about networking. Just a heads up, if you go this route, you're not going to want to use your new computer as your official desktop, it'll only be used as a means of storing data.

I don't want to store the data, I want to use it also.

I don't want to go the way of a server, NAS system or RAID Array. I just want a computer case that will hold a motherboard that has a lot of internal ports and will hold a number of hdds. I understand the reasoning behind your suggestions but they're not what I want.

Edited by Denisejm, 18 January 2009 - 04:30 PM.

PedroDaGR8

PedroDaGR8

• PipPipPip
  • 786 posts
I think what he means is that this computer will be for storing it. You use the data on your current computer. Windows Home Server makes dealing with the information VERY easy and nice.

That beind said you say you don't want a server

On that note, you do realize that raid cards can do JBOD as well and they would give you all the ports you want as most motherboards will not have enough ports and with a new case such as the CM stacker. You would just use the RAID card as an adapter not for its raid functionality. You could then use thigns like these to mount the drives in the front of your case. http://www.newegg.co...N82E16816215083. This adapter mounts 5 drives in 3 5 1/4 drive bays. So you would need around 6 5 1/4" bays on the front (mount the last 2 internally if need be).

I did see this: http://www.newegg.co...N82E16816215087 It is a 12-bay external case that can do RAID or JBOD. It has a built in 400W PSU and then transfers the data to the computer via something called Infiniband. This means you need infniband cards/connectors. It will give you less wires etc.

Just throwing these out here. Not trying to step on anyones toes. Also, I will let the person helping you talk about reliability etc.

I think I should just reiterate a RAID card DOES NOT need to be used for raid. It can be used JUST as an adapter with 2,4, 6, 8 and 12 ports etc in JBOD format. This I think would give you the functionality you want without the complexity of RAID, NAS etc. This way you can use any stable motherboard with the card (I like Intel's motherboards for stability, though there are many good manufacturers).

Edited by PedroDaGR8, 18 January 2009 - 06:26 PM.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts

I'll be spending $700.00 on the motherboard and case. This would get me started. I would then buy another part . . . cpu, heatsink/fan, RAM, psu, hdd, etc, as money becomes available. The entire cost of the computer would be between $1,800 to a maximum of $2,500.

My suggestion is to wait till you can spend at least $900-1000. You're not going to be able to upgrade in sequences, you'll have to do everything all at once.
As far as a cases go, I suggest you take a look at this one.
http://www.ncixus.co...facture=LIAN-LI
The e-tailer is one that I shop at all the time in canada who also sells to the USA. I cannot find anyone in the USA that provides this case for some reason. Just a heads up, this will likely be the largest computer case that you'll ever use.
James

Edited by james_8970, 18 January 2009 - 07:12 PM.

PedroDaGR8

PedroDaGR8

• PipPipPip
  • 786 posts
WOw that is a BEAUTIFUL case. Lian-Li makes some of the best cases for computers. Nice price on it too.

Denisejm

Denisejm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 782 posts
That is a beautiful case, and I just ordered it. $69.00 for s/h + almost $7.00 for insurance, but it'll be worth it.

Thanks so much for taking the time to find such a good case for me. It's just what I wanted! :)

I noticed that they also had a bevel cover for the floppy drive. They didn't have it in stock but I found another place where I can buy it, so I'm thinking about buying it. Maybe I can find one for my DVD drive also.

So, what's next? The motherboard? I'm sooo excited!

EDIT: I found a bevel cover for the DVD drive and I just purchased them. . . it's going to look real good!

Edited by Denisejm, 18 January 2009 - 08:09 PM.

PedroDaGR8

PedroDaGR8

• PipPipPip
  • 786 posts
You got an awesome case denisejm. Lian-Li takes the time to make their cases very well thought out. All sharp edges are either sanded or rolled over so the user won't encounter a single sharp edge etc.

Yep now you are on to the motherboard etc.

Denisejm

Denisejm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 782 posts
Hi Pedro . . . I think our posts crossed paths because I didn't see it when I wrote the post right before yours. You brought up a lot of good points . . .

you do realize that raid cards can do JBOD as well and they would give you all the ports you want as most motherboards will not have enough ports

No, I didn't know that, but it's good to know.

You would just use the RAID card as an adapter not for its raid functionality. You could then use thigns like these to mount the drives in the front of your case. http://www.newegg.co...N82E16816215083. This adapter mounts 5 drives in 3 5 1/4 drive bays. So you would need around 6 5 1/4" bays on the front (mount the last 2 internally if need be).

This will be good to remember when the time comes and I need it.

I think I should just reiterate a RAID card DOES NOT need to be used for raid. It can be used JUST as an adapter with 2,4, 6, 8 and 12 ports etc in JBOD format. This I think would give you the functionality you want without the complexity of RAID, NAS etc. This way you can use any stable motherboard with the card

This also will be good to know when the time comes to connect the hard drives.

Something like this that you mentioned http://www.newegg.co...N82E16816215087 looks really good if I need more drive space.

Thanks for your suggestions.

Edited by Denisejm, 19 January 2009 - 12:00 AM.

PedroDaGR8

PedroDaGR8

• PipPipPip
  • 786 posts
YOu may not need these: http://www.newegg.co...N82E16816215083. As you have a lot of drive slots in your case itself. Unless you want to have the ability to hotswap dirves (not really necessary in your situation I don't think). Though it would give you even MORE expansion options as time goes on with your additional drives.

As per the RAID cards, yeah I think almost all can do JBOD. Just look in the description it will usually say something like RAID: 0, 1, 3, 5, 6, 10, 15, JBOD etc.

Edited by PedroDaGR8, 18 January 2009 - 11:04 PM.

Advertisements

Denisejm

Denisejm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 782 posts
James . . .

My suggestion is to wait till you can spend at least $900-1000. You're not going to be able to upgrade in sequences, you'll have to do everything all at once.

I can spend up to $1,000 right now, which leaves me with $700.00 after buying the case. I'll have about $500 next week and $500 the week after. If it needs $500 more, I'll have that the week after, so I could buy all the parts within a 2 to 3 week period. If, by necessity, I have to spend $700 one of those weeks, I would make arrangements for it. I just don't have $1,500.00 more right now. I'd want all the parts that I'll need before I start building the computer, though.

I have no idea what cards or mount drives I'd need. I have a small box of parts that I bought and couldn't use because I bought the wrong thing. I couldn't even tell you what they are right now. I eventually got the right part but it was more quesswork and hoping it'll work than knowing that I bought the right part. It was a big waste of money and I don't want to repeat it again.

When I built this computer, I bought a wireless adapter card because my daughter lives upstairs and her computer gets the wireless connection, but it wasn't needed. The isp tech came out and did everything without installing anything in our computers. I had forgotten about that. When my daughter's pc was having problems and she couldn't connect to the internet, my isp told me that my pc needed a new wireless adapter card. I forgot that I had purchased one 3 years earlier (and that it wasn't needed then) and I bought one again, so I have 2 unused wireless adapter cards sitting in that box, LOL! It's not really funny but it just shows that I don't know/understand what does what in a computer except for the main parts. But when it comes to installing the parts, it's seems just like plug and play to me. I have no problems putting the pieces where they belong, plugging them into the right ports and posting. I learned a lot the first time around. Except for the RAM, each part in my computer was replaced once after the original build . . . that's the long story that I won't get into, unless you want to hear about sparks and smoke, and even then I don't want to talk about it, ha ha!

Edited by Denisejm, 18 January 2009 - 11:12 PM.

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
LOL I skimmed over this thread very quickly as I see it popular throughout the day.

All I gotta say is that is a lot of HD space lol. Good pick on the case!

Denisejm

Denisejm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 782 posts

YOu may not need these: http://www.newegg.co...N82E16816215083. As you have a lot of drive slots in your case itself. Unless you want to have the ability to hotswap dirves (not really necessary in your situation I don't think). Though it would give you even MORE expansion options as time goes on with your additional drives.

This is a possibility but I wouldn't want to hotswap drives. My theory is that the more you touch it, the more the chance of it breaking. When I install a drive, it'll stay there unless it breaks. But since the case has 7 5.5" bays, I'll need one of those type things so that I can use 3.5" drives. I think someone mentioned that in an earlier post too because the case that I was looking at had 5.5" bays that wouldn't support 3.5" drives.

As per the RAID cards, yeah I think almost all can do JBOD. Just look in the description it will usually say something like RAID: 0, 1, 3, 5, 6, 10, 15, JBOD etc.

After I buy the motherboard, I'm hoping someone can tell me exactly which one to buy.

Now that I've purchased the case, I'm looking forward to buying the motherboard. I don't want to skimp on it. I won't mind spending up to $600.00 to get a great motherboard, unless it has things that I won't or can't use and one for $300 is all I need. I'm really excited about this. That beautiful case has me really charged up!

Denisejm

Denisejm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 782 posts

All I gotta say is that is a lot of HD space lol. Good pick on the case!

I owe all that to James . . . he picked a beauty, didn't he? And it has a lot of bays, just like I wanted.

Edited by Denisejm, 18 January 2009 - 11:32 PM.

PedroDaGR8

PedroDaGR8

• PipPipPip
  • 786 posts

This is a possibility but I wouldn't want to hotswap drives. My theory is that the more you touch it, the more the chance of it breaking. When I install a drive, it'll stay there unless it breaks. But since the case has 7 5.5" bays, I'll need one of those type things so that I can use 3.5" drives. I think someone mentioned that in an earlier post too because the case that I was looking at had 5.5" bays that wouldn't support 3.5" drives.

After I buy the motherboard, I'm hoping someone can tell me exactly which one to buy.

Now that I've purchased the case, I'm looking forward to buying the motherboard. I don't want to skimp on it. I won't mind spending up to $600.00 to get a great motherboard, unless it has things that I won't or can't use and one for $300 is all I need. I'm really excited about this. That beautiful case has me really charged up!

Actually, this case has it appears 12 3.5" mounts inside of it ALREADY.
Here I have put a green square around them. If I count the rails right it has space for TWELVE 3.5" drives.
HD_example.jpg

This means you don't need to use ANY of the front bays yet.

If this case was counted the same way as other cases count their bays it would have NINETEEN or more BAYS.

Now that you are getting closer, I'll let the guy who was originally helping you sort out what other parts you can use. Now that you understand a RAID card can do JBOD. This open s up your Motherboard search MUCHHH more widely. Now you can look for the most stable motherboard and raid cards for what you want to do.

Edited by PedroDaGR8, 19 January 2009 - 08:20 AM.