Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

I'm thinking of building another pc

• Please log in to reply

PedroDaGR8

PedroDaGR8

• PipPipPip
  • 786 posts
Denise I can answer your second question. Yeah, high end graphics cards are basically for gaming or rendering graphics (i.e. 3-D modeling, AutoCAD etc.). Movies are much more easy to render therefore you don't need a high end card because it will provide little to NO benefit to you for an increase in cost of at minimum several hundred dollars.

Advertisements

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts

How does an expansion card work? Is it for internal hdds?

An expansion card is simply added to a PCI or PCIe slot to add functionality to your existing computer. In this case, yes, it is for internal hard drives. If you want to use any IDE cards, you're going to have to get additional expansion cards for that as well. Keep in mind that your computer will not be able to use any more then a couple IDE hard drives, assuming your optical drive isn't IDE.

Why wouldn't I want a high end graphics card when the main purpose of my pc is to watch videos? Is that just for gaming?

Essentially speaking, just about any video card will be sufficient for watching 1080p (requires the most computational power out of all video resolutions/outputs). Purchasing a more expensive graphics card will result in no performance increase.
James

Edited by james_8970, 20 January 2009 - 09:05 AM.

Denisejm

Denisejm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 782 posts
Is there any way that the hard drives can be connected without setting up a RAID Array. My computer keeps asking me if I want to set up a RAID Array every time I boot up but I just wait about 30 seconds and the request disappears and it boots up to Windows.

If I have to set up a RAID array, I'd need to buy all new drives because the ones I have are all about 75% to 80% full.

Denisejm

Denisejm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 782 posts
I found this board that has 2 USB 2.0 ports and 8 SATA ports. http://www.crayeon3....3/pc-70-6-.aspx

I found it on eBay for $203.00 at http://cgi.ebay.com/...1QQcmdZViewItem

What do you think?

Thanks for answering my questions about why things won't work or aren't what I need. :)

Denisejm

Denisejm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 782 posts
On a mobo description, it says that there are 12 USB ports, 8 external and "the 4 extra USB via bracket connected to onboard internal headers."

How does this work? I don't know what a header is.

PedroDaGR8

PedroDaGR8

• PipPipPip
  • 786 posts
A header is just an internal connection found on the motherboard. In the case of USB, each header supports two usb ports.

Here are some examples of the USB headers (the yellow things, though they can be any color)
imageview.php.jpg

This image shows one type USB cable plugging into the connectors.
09_bracket_usb_port_conn_install3.jpg

Edited by PedroDaGR8, 20 January 2009 - 06:58 PM.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts

I found this board that has 2 USB 2.0 ports and 8 SATA ports. http://www.crayeon3....3/pc-70-6-.aspx

I found it on eBay for $203.00 at http://cgi.ebay.com/...1QQcmdZViewItem

What do you think?

Thanks for answering my questions about why things won't work or aren't what I need. :)

Please look at my build a little closer on post #36. That motherboard already has 8 SATA ports, it's cheaper and vastly superior then the one you mentioned above.

Is there any way that the hard drives can be connected without setting up a RAID Array. My computer keeps asking me if I want to set up a RAID Array every time I boot up but I just wait about 30 seconds and the request disappears and it boots up to Windows.

No you don't have to do a RAID array, it's just recommended for additional data redundancy. Also, all the drives must be the same model to properly function in a RAID configuration.
James

Edited by james_8970, 20 January 2009 - 08:08 PM.

Denisejm

Denisejm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 782 posts
Pedro . . . Thanks for explaining what headers are and what they look like and how they work :)

Denisejm

Denisejm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 782 posts
James . . .

No you don't have to do a RAID array, it's just recommended for additional data redundancy. Also, all the drives must be the same model to properly function in a RAID configuration.

For some reason, I was under the impression that I had to set up a RAID array with the board that you mentioned, thus the reason I was looking at other boards.

Then the only change would be the quad core pentium cpu that we discussed earlier.

I looked through your list a couple of times but I didn't see a heatsink/fan. Will I need one or does it come with the processor?

Since I already questioned everything on your list (and probably drove you batty) . . .

The RAM is good.

I already have a DVD burner.

I don't know anything about controller cards so it's good.

You listed two SYBA SD-SATA2-4IR PCI SATA II Controller Card RAID 0/1/5/10 JBOD for me to buy. Do I need to buy 2?

The video card is good.

The psu is good.

And I don't need a Windows disk.

Do I need a heatsink/fan?

About the SATA expansion card, will it also not require a RAID array?

Is there an expansion card like that on the market for internal USB ports?

Does the board have enough PCIe ports for a Firewire card and a 4-port eSATA card.

I think a mix-up came when I said "I know how you feel about SATA. We've discussed it before and I thought that you agreed that since I didn't want SATA, we wouldn't go the SATA route." I used the wrong word. I didn't mean SATA, I meant RAID. I didn't want to go the RAID route. I definitely want SATA.

Edited by Denisejm, 20 January 2009 - 10:26 PM.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts

For some reason, I was under the impression that I had to set up a RAID array with the board that you mentioned, thus the reason I was looking at other boards.

Nope. You can store data on that motherboard under three storage types. ACHI, RAID and IDE. You'll install all you're drives under the IDE format (I know you're using SATA hard drives, but that's irrelevant). By storing them under the IDE format, each drive will be assigned it's own letter drive.

Then the only change would be the quad core pentium cpu that we discussed earlier.

It won't be a Pentium CPU, but yes, you can easily get a better CPU.

I looked through your list a couple of times but I didn't see a heatsink/fan. Will I need one or does it come with the processor?

Exactly.

You listed two SYBA SD-SATA2-4IR PCI SATA II Controller Card RAID 0/1/5/10 JBOD for me to buy. Do I need to buy 2?

It depends on how many drives you plan on installing. If you plan on installing 16 drives, you need to get 2.

About the SATA expansion card, will it also not require a RAID array?

Yeah, it doesn't have to use RAID.

Does the board have enough PCIe ports for a Firewire card and a 4-port eSATA card.

You're probably going to have to get a different bracket that'll use the Firewire ports on the motherboard. This'll cost about 20$ at the most. As far as eSATA goes, I suggest you look into getting a new expansion card that goes into the PCIe bus, rather then the PCI bus. It'll be faster and your computer only has 2 PCI slots, which will be used with your SATA expansion cards.

I didn't mean SATA, I meant RAID. I didn't want to go the RAID route. I definitely want SATA.

Okay, that makes a lot more sense :)

James

Advertisements

Denisejm

Denisejm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 782 posts

By storing them under the IDE format, each drive will be assigned it's own letter drive

Will they run the speed of SATA or IDE/USB 2.0 if they're stored under the IDE format?

Exactly.

Which is it, lol? Will I need to buy one or does it come with the processor?

It won't be a Pentium CPU, but yes, you can easily get a better CPU.

At http://www.motherboa...tail-p-655.html
the specs say that the board:

Supports LGA775 socket for Intel® Core™2 Extreme/Core™2 Quad/Core™2 Duo/Pentium® dual-core/Celeron® dual-core/Celeron® Processors
Compatible with Intel® 05B/05A/06 processors
Supports Intel® 45nm Multi-Core CPU

Is Core™2 Quad the processor I should get?

Are there expansion cards like the SATA expansion card on the market for internal USB ports?

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Hi Denise, I'm still watching this thread! James is doing a great job helping you :)

When configuring SATA hard drives as IDE, this is just a way for the motherboard to process how the drives are accessed - it won't affect the speed - they'll be nice and fast SATA still.

If you purchase a retail version of the CPU, it will come with a heatsink/fan already. The only exception to this rule is with a certain range of processors, but this doesn't apply here.

If you are choosing the ASUS P5Q Deluxe motherboard (which I like :) ), then yes a Core 2 Quad would be compatible - something like the Q9550 is an awesome processor, but I'll leave that up to James to comment on once again.

And what do you mean by "internal" USB ports? Something like this?

Troy

Denisejm

Denisejm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 782 posts
Hi Troy . . .

James is doing a great job helping you

Yea, he is, and he has the patience of a saint!

When configuring SATA hard drives as IDE, this is just a way for the motherboard to process how the drives are accessed - it won't affect the speed - they'll be nice and fast SATA still.

Great! Just what I want. :)

a Core 2 Quad would be compatible - something like the Q9550 is an awesome processor, but I'll leave that up to James to comment on once again.

Sounds good.

And what do you mean by "internal" USB ports? Something like this?

I really don't know. In post #45, James said

At this point, my best recommendation is to get a 200$ motherboard and then a cheap expansion card for additional SATA ports

I was asking if expansion cards are also available for additional USB 2.0 ports. I believe he meant an expansion card for additional internal SATA ports and I was hoping that I could get an expansion card for additional internal USB 2.0 ports. I guess James will have to say whether the expansion cards are for internal or external ports. I thought he meant that they would add internal ports.

I found this montrosity of a thing with 20 SATA ports. I don't know what it is, if internal or external, or where it could be purchased, but if it could be connected for internal ports, it would give me all the ports I'll ever need (along with the mobo ports). The picture of it is in post #11. http://forums.hardwa...d.php?t=2033514

Edited by Denisejm, 21 January 2009 - 07:55 PM.

PedroDaGR8

PedroDaGR8

• PipPipPip
  • 786 posts

I found this montrosity of a thing with 20 SATA ports. I don't know what it is, if internal or external, or where it could be purchased, but if it could be connected for internal ports, it would give me all the ports I'll ever need (along with the mobo ports). The picture of it is in post #11. http://forums.hardwa...d.php?t=2033514

That monstrosity is a high-level raid card (Adaptec 51645). It costs between 800-1200 dollars from what I have seen, with most sites closer to the $850 mark. You honestly don't need that. Also, it has 16 internal, 4 external connections.

Edited by PedroDaGR8, 21 January 2009 - 08:39 PM.

Denisejm

Denisejm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 782 posts
There's still a little confusion in my mind about the power supply. Several things have been said about it and there seems to be 3 ways that I could go.

I have 22 external hdds. . . 5 Firewire (I originally thought I had only 3 Firewire), 9 USB 2.0 and 8 SATA drives.

I don't know if the USB 2.0 and Firewire drives can be placed in the tower.

I presently have 9 SATA drives that will be placed in the tower (8 externals and 1 new main (Drive C) SATA drive. I'm running very short on space right now and will need to buy 2 1T drives just for the additional files that I'm getting, so I'll have 11 SATA drives installed during the build.

When I replace the USB 2.0 drives with SATA drives in the future, I'll have to buy 3 or 4 1T drives. That will give me a total of 15 SATA drives that will be internal and 5 Firewire drives. I'm thinking about selling my Firewire drives if they can't go internal. If I do, I'll have to purchase 4 1T SATA drives which will make a total of 19 internal SATA drives within the next 6 months. I'll have no more externals.

James, you had said . . .

The only time you're coming will require a lot of power is during the initial spin up. You're computer will not support staggered spin up, so you're drives are likely to pull 30W a piece when you boot up, then they'll pull about 6-10 watts depending on the drive after that. 650W is more then sufficient for this build.

jrm, you had said . . .
Even if you didn't really need the full 850W or close to it you cannot find a better deal ANYWHERE for a rock solid 850W and SINGLE RAIL design which is a more reliable design.

James, you had said . . .

How many hard drives are you getting in total in this build? You need to allocate 30W per hard drive during boot up. If you're actually thinking about getting 20 hard drives, you might be forced to look into a RAID card that supports staggered spin up..... You might want to consider putting two power supplies in your system. One for your hard drives, one for everything else.

Given this information, I don't know if I should buy a 650W psu, an 850W psu or 2 psu's (1 for the hdds and 1 for everything else).