Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

I'm thinking of building another pc

• Please log in to reply

Denisejm

Denisejm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 782 posts

That monstrosity is a high-level raid card (Adaptec 51645). It costs between 800-1200 dollars from what I have seen, with most sites closer to the $850 mark. You honestly don't need that. Also, it has 16 internal, 4 external connections.

Definitely not going RAID. It is a monster though, LOL! It's too bad that they don't make them to just connect the same number of SATA drives individually.

Edited by Denisejm, 21 January 2009 - 08:47 PM.

Advertisements

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts

Even if you didn't really need the full 850W or close to it you cannot find a better deal ANYWHERE for a rock solid 850W and SINGLE RAIL design which is a more reliable design.

Originally, I didn't think you were going to be putting nearly 20 drives in your system, if this is the case, you'll need a 850W PSU. Going dual PSU is an option, but given the fact that you have already purchased a case that doesn't support the feature, your best bet would be to get a single PSU.

If I do, I'll have to purchase 4 1T SATA drives which will make a total of 19 internal SATA drives within the next 6 months. I'll have no more externals.

My suggestion is wait a bit. 2TB drives are going to be coming out shortly. While you can 19 drives into your case with modifications, I highly advice you don't.

Which is it, lol? Will I need to buy one or does it come with the processor?

Sorry about the confusion there, I didn't mean to include that much text in my quote.

I believe I have answered all your questions, if I or anyone else has missed any, please post them here.

This motherboard also has 10 SATA ports.
http://www.newegg.co...Tpk=GA-EP45-DQ6
James

Edited by james_8970, 21 January 2009 - 10:03 PM.

Denisejm

Denisejm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 782 posts
The LIAN-LI PC-201A case will hold 12 3.5" internal drives. I'm assuming that's not including Drive C, but correct me if I'm wrong, so that would make 13 3.5" drives.

A 5.25" to 3.5" bay converter would give me 4 or 5 additional bays. Is there a way to turn a bay converter off when not needed?

I'll buy the 850W psu.

LMAO!!! . . .

Sorry about the confusion there, I didn't mean to include that much text in my quote.

I still don't know if the cpu comes with a hs/fan. :)

Which Core 2 Quad cpu should I buy and which hs/fan should I buy?

Which one is better?

Edited by Denisejm, 21 January 2009 - 10:32 PM.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts

The LIAN-LI PC-201A case will hold 12 3.5" internal drives. I'm assuming that's not including Drive C, but correct me if I'm wrong, so that would make 13 3.5" drives.

Only 12 drives.

A 5.25" to 3.5" bay converter would give me 4 or 5 additional bays. Is there a way to turn a bay converter off when not needed?

You can get versions that allow you to turn the drives off, it's called a caddy. That's only needed for hotswapping, it costs more money and you can't fit as many drives in the same space as you can with a converter.

I still don't know if the cpu comes with a hs/fan.

Sorry, I thought I saw someone respond to this question above :)
All retail CPUs come with a heatsink. The only exception is the AMD black versions.
So to answer your question, yes, the CPU comes with a heatsink.

Which one is better?

I'd go with the Gigabyte board personally. It has 10 SATA ports over Asus' 8 and the gigabyte also has more USB ports and (gasp!) four gigabit ethernet ports, unless you were running a server, four gigabit ports are basically useless.

Considering you have extra money to spend, I highly recommend you look into a UPS. This is a battery backup that'll protect your system from power spikes and power sags.

James

Edited by james_8970, 21 January 2009 - 10:52 PM.

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts

I'll buy the 850W psu.

LMAO!!! . . .

I still don't know if the cpu comes with a hs/fan. :)

Which Core 2 Quad cpu should I buy and which hs/fan should I buy?

Which one is better?

You can get by with a q6600 and above quad core really.. Id take the q6600 over the Q8200 though so that is why I said q6600 and above.

the mobo link you just posted does not work.

Ya don't get confused here as you had many people trying to help at once and plus about the power supply I didn't see that the corsair 650w was suggested first...

Just get the corsair 850w and your done with that end of story lol..

Good luck.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
:)

Denisejm

Denisejm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 782 posts

It was your mobo link, a suggestion for a different mobo. *headscratch* It looks like the links don't work when they're copied. It's happened several times in this thread.
I'll stick with the ASUS P5Q Deluxe LGA 775 Intel P45 Intel Motherboard that you first suggested.
One of the reviews for the GIGABYTE GA-EP45-DQ6 LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX Intel Motherboard said that "Cons: The 4 SATA ports attached to the JMicron controller ONLY work in raid 1 mode. I bought this motherboard because it has 10 sata ports.. I guess I'll be buying a pci-e sata card."

I didn't say that I was confused, you said it! LMAO

Ok, so it's the Q8200 cpu.

Edited by Denisejm, 21 January 2009 - 11:32 PM.

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts

It was your mobo link, a suggestion for a different mobo. *headscratch* It looks like the links don't work when they're copied. It's happened several times in this thread.
I'll stick with the ASUS P5Q Deluxe LGA 775 Intel P45 Intel Motherboard that you first suggested.
One of the reviews for the GIGABYTE GA-EP45-DQ6 LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX Intel Motherboard said that "Cons: The 4 SATA ports attached to the JMicron controller ONLY work in raid 1 mode. I bought this motherboard because it has 10 sata ports.. I guess I'll be buying a pci-e sata card."

I didn't say that I was confused, you said it! LMAO

Ok, so it's the Q8200 cpu.

I see what is happening here. Multiple quotes from different people are being listed, thus confusing everyone lmao. Next time when quoting (Quotes) leave the users name in it.

The only thing I ever said was get the Corsair 850W if you really need it on my 1st post then my next I said go for the q6600 or above..

Ya you are correct, the mobo link quoted from post #63 does not work.

Anyways to confusing right now HAHAHA.

See ya guys I need sleep for work tomorrow.

Edited by jrm20, 21 January 2009 - 11:58 PM.

Denisejm

Denisejm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 782 posts
Yeah, I am confused over who said what now, LOL . . . but a little confusion can be good for the soul.

Ok, James, in post #64, you said . . .

I'd go with the Gigabyte board personally. It has 10 SATA ports over Asus' 8 and the gigabyte also has more USB ports and (gasp!) four gigabit ethernet ports, unless you were running a server, four gigabit ports are basically useless.

At http://www.newegg.co...Tpk=GA-EP45-DQ6

One of the reviewers said "Cons: The 4 SATA ports attached to the JMicron controller ONLY work in raid 1 mode.
Other Thoughts: I bought this motherboard because it has 10 sata ports.. I guess I'll be buying a pci-e sata card."

So does it have 10 sata ports that I can use or 6 sata ports with 4 "attached to the JMicron controller ONLY work in raid 1 mode" which I can't use?

Edited by Denisejm, 22 January 2009 - 12:15 AM.

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
I think we all made a flub up and got confused on the mixed up quotings. Oh well people make mistakes. :)

Anyway when you get this pc done I want to see some pictures of this beast lol. Insane amount of harddrives for a residential/home user pc.

About the 4 Jmicron sata ports on your last post. Technically you should be able to use those 4 jmicron ports for non raid applications but since they did not specify that in the specs I recommend giving gigabyte an email and ask them OR either goto the main gigabyte website and look for a .pdf user manual and read in the jmicron port section.

Advertisements

Denisejm

Denisejm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 782 posts
jrm . . .

About the 4 Jmicron sata ports on your last post. Technically you should be able to use those 4 jmicron ports for non raid applications but since they did not specify that in the specs I recommend giving gigabyte an email and ask them OR either goto the main gigabyte website and look for a .pdf user manual and read in the jmicron port section.

Thanks for the suggestion. I just sent them an email. Hopefully I'll get a quick response.

Anyway when you get this pc done I want to see some pictures of this beast lol. Insane amount of harddrives for a residential/home user pc.

There's no way to attach pics in this forum.

Edited by Denisejm, 22 January 2009 - 01:05 AM.

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts

There's no way to attach pics in this forum.

Yeah you can attach images that is what the browse and upload tab is for right below where it says attachment editor.

Make sure you click on add reply and not fast reply.

You can even click insert image above using BB code by having your image hosted from a free hosting site such as image shack. Just paste in the link.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
The reason why the quotes aren't following over is because when you quote a link, it's taking the abbreviated text and leaving the URL information behind.

Again, people are expecting a champagne taste on a beer budget. The SATA ports on the Jmicron chipset has the basic necessary functions that you require. If you were thinking about running any kind of RAID with your setup, rest assured, I would not be recommending any card below 800$, let alone suggest you run RAID off a motherboard.

Again, please look into a UPS such as the one below. It'll protect you're investment.
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16842101067
I have the unit above and have no complaints.
James

Edited by james_8970, 22 January 2009 - 01:51 PM.

Denisejm

Denisejm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 782 posts
jrm . . . I don't know why I said that there's no way to attach pics when I attached 2 pics already. All I can say is that is was late and I was tired :)

Denisejm

Denisejm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 782 posts
James . . .

The SATA ports on the Jmicron has the basic necessary functions that you require.

Without looking back in the posts, you had said that I'd be connecting the drives in an IDE configuration (not sure if correct wording). Just for me to completely understand, the drives can be connected to the JMicron controller in an IDE configuration? (I can see now that she might have wanted to set up RAID 5, 10, etc, but I was looking at it from my point of view, where I don't want RAID.)

If I bought the GIGABYTE motherboard, would all the other parts that you picked out for the ASUS work with the GIGABYTE? Would there be any changes?

Edited by Denisejm, 22 January 2009 - 01:55 PM.