Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

I'm thinking of building another pc

• Please log in to reply

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts

Without looking back in the posts, you had said that I'd be connecting the drives in an IDE configuration (not sure if correct wording). Just for me to completely understand, the drives can be connected to the JMicron controller in an IDE configuration?

Yes.

If I bought the GIGABYTE motherboard, would all the other parts that you picked out for the ASUS work with the GIGABYTE?

Yes all the parts should work. Just a note, if I were you, I'd buying everything at once, rather then you buying one thing at a time. Additionally, you're going to need more SATA connectors and molex->SATA connectors if you wish to place as many hard drives in your case as you state you want to do.

Just a heads up, your going to be placing 8 hard drives on the PCI interface, what this means is that you can only transfer 133mb/s of data at one time. Assuming you are only using these drives as back up purposes, this shouldn't be a problem, if you think you'll be accessing them fairly frequently, I suggest you look into getting a PCIe card, which will undoubtedly cost more money.
James

Edited by james_8970, 22 January 2009 - 02:20 PM.

Advertisements

Denisejm

Denisejm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 782 posts
James . . .

Just a heads up, your going to be placing 8 hard drives on the PCI interface, what this means is that you can only transfer 133mb/s of data at one time. Assuming you are only using these drives as back up purposes, this shouldn't be a problem, if you think you'll be accessing them fairly frequently, I suggest you look into getting a PCIe card, which will undoubtedly cost more money.

The 8 drives on the PCI interface will be my back-up drives that I don't access very often but one never knows. If I wanted to buy a PCIe card, which one should I get?

Additionally, you're going to need more SATA connectors and molex->SATA connectors if you wish to place as many hard drives in your case as you state you want to do.

Do I need one of each for each drive?

Edited by Denisejm, 22 January 2009 - 04:09 PM.

Denisejm

Denisejm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 782 posts
These are all the parts that I believe that I'll need to build the computer. If I forgot anything or if I'm buying the wrong one, please let me know. I also have a couple questions that I put in bold.

PSU - CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX 850W ATX12V 2.2 / EPS12V 2.91 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready Active PFC Power Supply - Retail PURCHASED
http://www.newegg.co.....=corsair 850w

CASE - LIAN-LI PC-201A Silver Aluminum EATX Full Tower Case 7X5.25 12X3.5INT No PS W/ USB 1394 & Audio PURCHASED
http://www.ncixus.co...facture=LIAN-LI

HARD DRIVE - Western Digital Caviar Black WD1001FALS 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM PURCHASED
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16822136284

RAM - mushkin 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Retail
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16820146726

CPU - Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Kentsfield 2.4GHz 2 x 4MB L2 Cache LGA 775 Quad-Core Processor - Retail
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16819115017

VIDEO CARD - ASUS EAH4650/DI/512MD2 Radeon HD 4650 512MB 128-bit GDDR2 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready Video Card – Retail
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16814121286

MOTHERBOARD - GIGABYTE GA-EP45-DQ6 LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail
http://www.newegg.co...Tpk=GA-EP45-DQ6

INTERNAL HARD DRIVE CONVERTER - Silverstone CFP51-B Aluminum 5.25" to 3.5" bay converter with 120mm fan - Retail
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16811999164

SERIAL ATA II EXTERNAL CABLES (18 each) - Rosewill 18" Serial ATA II External cable Model RC-18"-SA2-90-BK – Retail
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16812119231

SYBA SD-SATA2-4IR PCI SATA II CONTROLLER CARD RAID 0/1/5/10 JBOD – Retail (Do I still need the RAID controller card since I won’t be setting up a RAID Array?)
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16816124008

D&S CABLE 8" 4pin INTERNAL POWER CONNECTOR TO 2 SATA POWER ADAPTER CABLE Model 2SAC-02498 - Retail (You originally said that I needed 2 of these. (Do I need more of these since the mobo has more ports and I’ll be connecting more drives?)
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16812608228

Edited by Denisejm, 23 January 2009 - 04:25 PM.

PedroDaGR8

PedroDaGR8

• PipPipPip
  • 786 posts
Wow. The shipping on those SATA cables is MURDER (6.99 a cable, well $3.08 a cable at the volume you are ordering). That works out to over FIFTY DOLLARS in shipping charges alone.

My advice is to check out Monoprice.com for the cables. I have ordered boatloads of products through them before. They have fair shipping and should be a LOT less than you are paying at newegg. I checked the cost of eighteen 18" internal cables, shipped to my place in Lexington, KY (they are in Cali) and it was $24.31. This means that I would get the cables shipped USPS Priority (2-3 Days) for HALF of what you would pay for SHIPPING ALONE.

They have an array of internal and external SATA cables, SATA power cables, Right angled cables (looks cleaner), locking cables (resist becoming disconnected and on and on and on.

I was wondering why you need 18 EXTERNAL cables? For your internal drives they won't provide much (if any) benefit over internal cables.

Also, monoprice had this:
http://www.monoprice.......=1&format=2

It is a 1 molex (your standard psu connection) to 4 SATA power connection, in a daisy chain fashion with all wires wrapped in net mesh for aesthetic and airflow reasons (though the latter benefit is questionable). Daisy chain means it would go Molex--->SATA Plug #1----->SATA Plug #2---->SATA Plug #3 --->SATA Plug #4, as opposed to the one you are looking at which is radial in that each power connector goes BACK to the molex. I like the latter for a nicer cable flow. You can literally go Molex--->HD1---->HD2--->HD3--->HD4, to me that looks nicer.

EDIT:

Here is monoprices page of SATA data and power cables (and even some combined data + power cables, though I don't recommend those for your use).
http://www.monoprice...amp;cp_id=10226

Edited by PedroDaGR8, 23 January 2009 - 07:33 PM.

Denisejm

Denisejm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 782 posts
Hi Pedoro . . .

Your cables seem good. I understand about daisy-chaining because I do it with HUBs. The cables that I put in my list were ones that James had suggested, but it might have been before we completely decided on what I was going to build. I don't know anything about cables. James must be busy . . . he hasn't been here since yesterday evening and I'm at the point where I'm ready to buy most of the parts. The case came in today. James was right . . . the box is huge!

I looked at the page you gave a link for data/power cables but they all look the same to me, except for the color. I'm planning on buying enough cables for 18 to 20 hdds even if I don't install all of them in the beginning. I'll have the cables to use when I buy new hdds and all the cables will be the same.

I'm thinking that I'll need 5 "24inch 4pin MOLEX Male to (4) 15pin SATA II Female Power Cable (Net Jacket)" for 18 to 20 drives, but please correct me if I'm wrong.

Would you mind telling me the exact cables I need to buy and how many for 18-20 drives? I've never done anything on this proportion before, with so many hard drives, and I don't know exactly what's needed. I built my present pc but it has only 1 int hdd and it was easy to pick out what I needed. Just about everything I needed came with each part and it seemed like plug and play, but this is really different.

Edited by Denisejm, 23 January 2009 - 08:30 PM.

Denisejm

Denisejm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 782 posts
I contacted GIGABYTE Tech Support about the 4 JMicron SATA ports on the GIGABYTE GA-EP45-DQ6 LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX Intel Motherboard. They said that those ports support 4 ports in RAID mode, or in SATA storage mode 2 SATA ports. So the board will have a total of 8 SATA ports. But with your daisy-chaining idea, Pedro, it should work out fine!

PedroDaGR8

PedroDaGR8

• PipPipPip
  • 786 posts

I contacted GIGABYTE Tech Support about the 4 JMicron SATA ports on the GIGABYTE GA-EP45-DQ6 LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX Intel Motherboard. They said that those ports support 4 ports in RAID mode, or in SATA storage mode 2 SATA ports. So the board will have a total of 8 SATA ports. But with your daisy-chaining idea, Pedro, it should work out fine!

THe daisy chaining is only for power not for data, sorry.

Denisejm

Denisejm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 782 posts
The Lian-Li case specs:

Brand LIAN LI
Model PC-201A
Spec
Type ATX Full Tower
Color - Silver
Case Material - Aluminum
With Power Supply - No
Power Supply - No
Motherboard Compatibility 12" x 9.6" ATX
With Side Panel Window - No

Expansion
External 5.25" Drive Bays - 7
External 3.5" Drive Bays - No
Internal 3.5" Drive Bays - 12 x 3.5” (removable HDD brackets)
Expansion Slots - 7

Front Ports
Front Ports USB, Audio, IEEE 1394

Cooling System
80mm Fans - No
120mm Fans - 1 x 120mm Front Fan
1 x 120mm - Side Fan
1 x 120mm - Rear Fan
1 x 120mm - HDD brackets Fan
Side Air duct - Yes

Physical Spec
Dimensions 23.3" x 8.3" x 23.3" (D x W x H)
Weight 27.1 lbs.
Features
Features HDD easy assembling module
Patent adjustable cooling kit
Sound insulated strip
Removable PSU tray

The motherboard = 8 SATA ports.
2 SATA II Controller Card (4 ports ea) = 8 internal SATA ports
Total internal SATA ports = 16

The case has 12 3.5" bays = 12 SATA drives.
The case has 7 5.25" bays = 4 SATA drives with a converter (1 bay for the DVD drive?).
Total SATA = 16 drive bays with 16 SATA ports

So the number of SATA ports and SATA bays are equal (whew!)

Total USB 2.0 = 1 port available for USB 2.0 connector = 1 floppy drive

Pedro . . .

THe daisy chaining is only for power not for data, sorry.

That's still really good. The psu won't have 16 power connectors for the hdds so the

Daisy chain means it would go Molex--->SATA Plug #1----->SATA Plug #2---->SATA Plug #3 --->SATA Plug #4

It's still a really good idea. I'm attaching a picture of the cables that come with the psu. I don't know what I'll need to power all the drives compared to what the psu provides, so I don't know how many of the daisy-chain power cables I'll need to buy.

As for the data cables, I'll have 16 SATA drives.

PedroDaGR8

PedroDaGR8

• PipPipPip
  • 786 posts
Ok, here are ALL the connectors you have:

1 - 20+4 pin connector (it is a 24 pin connector, but the last 4 pins can be removed for use in a 20-pin board)
1 - 4+4 pin ATX (EPS) Connector (same as previous, it is an 8-pin EPS connector, or you can remove 4 pins for use in older ATX setups, some modern ATX setups use the EPS connector)
4 - 6+2 PCI Express connectors (just like above this can be a 6-pin or 8-pin PCIe connector, via removal of 2 pins)
8 - Standard Molex Connectors
8 - SATA Power Connectors
2- Floppy Connectors

So assuming you can use ALL of the SATA connectors, you will need atleast 2 of the daisy chain power adapters (also the cables on your PSU are sheathed just like these daisy chain connectors so it will provide for a nice consistent look).

EDIT: Your PSU passed HardOCP.com's grueling torture test for PSUs, so you can reset assured this PSU will gladly put out the rated 850W at normal case temperatures. I really trust HardOCP and jonnyGURU's PSU reviews as they are very thorough in their tests and WILL NOT pass any that fall out of spec in any of the conditions they put the PSU in. They use oscilliscopes and $8000+ specialized power supply testers to perform the tests.

Edited by PedroDaGR8, 24 January 2009 - 10:26 AM.

Denisejm

Denisejm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 782 posts
Thanks Pedro . . .

I purchased 3 of the daisy-chain power cables. The total was only $10.54, which includes s/h. :)

Please let me know the url for any other cables I have to buy. If you give me a page that shows 20 cables, I won't be able to pick out the ones I need. I'll have an idea and I might be right, but it'll only be a guess.

Advertisements

PedroDaGR8

PedroDaGR8

• PipPipPip
  • 786 posts
I just need to know what length of cables you need. I think 18" may be too short, hopefully someone can chime in, in time for you to just add the SATA cables to your other order (saves on shipping).

skyhintack

skyhintack

• PipPipPip
  • 186 posts
If you mean as in SATA Data cables, I had went with 36" for my case, and my case is probably just as big as yours Denise. I had went with two of these, but if you want to combine orders (especially because Newegg isn't the cheapest with cables (shipping for a silly cable!)), then you might look at this from monoprice. It's 36" as well and depending on how many drives you're connecting will be how many you'll need. The nice thing is that you're only looking at $22.50 for 19 of those cables (without shipping) compared to a lot more for anything else.

Sky

Edited by skyhintack, 24 January 2009 - 02:24 PM.

PedroDaGR8

PedroDaGR8

• PipPipPip
  • 786 posts
Go with what skyhintack mentioned. If you want locking cables, which are not really necessary all that much in your case (unless you will be messing around in your case often) you can get them here. THough expect to pay around $0.80 more PER CABLE.

Locking cables have a tab that locks it into the data port making it harder for the cable to come out.

Denisejm

Denisejm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 782 posts
Thanks sky and Pedro :)

The cables were the last things I needed to add to my list and I'm ready to order. :)

I appreciate you taking the time out to give me the exact url and your opinions. I'll be taking a few pictures during the build and I'll post a few here. Keep a lookout.

skyhintack

skyhintack

• PipPipPip
  • 186 posts
It's always good to know the end result from everyone's hard (and great) work!
We'll be looking :)