Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

I'm thinking of building another pc

• Please log in to reply

Denisejm

Denisejm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 782 posts
I attached a sketch of the "Plate," as the instructions call it. Once I was able to mark the holes on the case that needed the lifters placed in them, I screwed them in the holes and then screwed the motherboard to the back panel. The plate is under only a part of motherboard, but it's the way it looks in the drawing. The motherboard doesn't move around. The plate kept moving so that I couldn't get both the motherboard and the plate to stay still long enough so that I could mark the holes in the case. Once I temporarily taped the plate to the case and placed the motherboard on top of it, I only had to keep the motherboard in place and was able to mark the holes.

LOL . . . the kitchen counter is my workstation for this project. The case is really big! There are a lot more wires in this case than I have in my present pc case. They can be seen bound up in the upper left hand corner of the picture. I've just been reading the motherboard manual to figure out what they're for. Some of them are for a surround sound system, which I won't have. I haven't checked the others yet though.

Tomorrow I'll install the video card, floppy drive and dvd drive and connect the power cables. I wanted to read the manual about these items before I installed them.

Edited by Denisejm, 05 February 2009 - 07:46 PM.

Advertisements

Denisejm

Denisejm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 782 posts
I'm just about ready to install Drive C. I bought a WD Caviar Black WD1001FALS 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache hdd. From what I read about the drive, it has to be formatted prior to use but I'm unsure about how to go about formatting it, or what to expect at post because it's not formatted. Does anybody have any ideas?

If I formatted it using my present computer, would it work ok in the new computer, or does it have to be formatted in the new computer?

Also, I just took a look at the floppy drive that I bought. It was OEM. It's only partially enclosed. The bottom of it is exposed. I don't remember the floppy in my present pc being exposed on the bottom but without taking it out the case to see it, I can't say for sure. Is there anything that I have to do to the bottom of the floppy drive before I install it, cover it somehow, buy a case, or is it ok to install it the way it is?

Edited by Denisejm, 07 February 2009 - 11:42 AM.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Hi again,

When you install your operating system, it will format the drive as necessary when it needs to do so. Simply following through the installation will sort everything out for you.

The floppy drive does have some funny looking bits exposed (boy does that sound technical), like this:

Posted Image

Denisejm

Denisejm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 782 posts
Hi Troy,

Thanks for responding.

I figured it would be best to attach a picture. There's no bottom on it and there wasn't anything else in the box.

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16821103203

Edited by Denisejm, 08 February 2009 - 12:05 PM.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Yeah, that's a bit random, mine has a backplate. I'd ask Newegg support if it's standard.

Denisejm

Denisejm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 782 posts
It's been 3 years since I built this pc so I don't remember everything, but I didn't think it was right. I'll give NewEgg a call tomorrow. Looking at the picture at the NewEgg site, it looks like there should be a bottom part. Thanks Troy :)

P.S. I like your technical jargon . . . it's completely understandable. :)

Edited by Denisejm, 08 February 2009 - 06:30 PM.

Denisejm

Denisejm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 782 posts
I've been thinking about it . . . once I install the HighPoint RocketRAID 2320 PCI Express x8 Controller Card and the video card, won't I need the SATA data cables that are on a 45º angle/right angle so that they'll fit? Will the 2 cards be that close together?

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
If you install the video card in the blue slot (top one), then when you install the SATA card, the data connections should be facing down - in which case, no you wouldn't need right-angled SATA data cables.

Denisejm

Denisejm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 782 posts
Yea, I leaped before I looked. I just went upstairs to install the DVD drive but decided to check out the controller card and the video card. 6 ports face outwards, not on the side. There are 2 more ports on the top. I believe that I can't use these ports for some reason that was mentioned in this thread. I'm going to look back thru the posts and see what was said about them. Tomorrow, the DVD drive and the hard drive for sure. (I procrastinate)

Question 1: I RMA'd the floppy drive. Will the system post without the floppy drive installed?

EDIT: I found this about the controller card:

The SATA cables actually come with the expansion cards, so you don't need any SATA cables. You also have the option to purchase a 8 port card that'll take 8 drives alone, instead of using two 4 port cards. The 8 port card will cost more, but I think you'd like it given that it has the option of setting up a JBOD array, should you go that route in the future. Additionally, it'll keep a PCIe slot open. Aside from that, there isn't any more benefits. I'll let you decide on what you want to do here. Two four port cards would cost you 240$, the eight port card will set you back 260$. Again, I want to make this very clear, if you ever plan on making a RAID array, don't trust you're data with these cards. For expansion cards, these will do just fine.

Question 2: So I can use all 8 ports?

A small cable with a few pins on each side came with the controller card. I read the manual and couldn't find if or where it's needed. The only mention of a small cable was in reference to connecting 2 controller cards.

Question 3: I only inserted the card into the port. Does the small cable need to be connected to the card and motherboard? I didn't see any ports on the motherboard for it either. I just want to make sure that it's not needed.

Edited by Denisejm, 11 February 2009 - 10:25 PM.

Denisejm

Denisejm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 782 posts
I remember that I had 2 connections for my cpu and heat sink and fan when I built my present computer. There's one wire that I connected into the cpu fan connector on the motherboard but there aren't any other wires or a port for connection to the psu or anything else. Is this right?

Advertisements

Denisejm

Denisejm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 782 posts
Hi, I have another question. :)

The instructions say that the drives are to be held into place with sleeved screws. What do sleeved screws look like?

Edited by Denisejm, 13 February 2009 - 03:50 PM.

Denisejm

Denisejm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 782 posts
I just installed the DVD drive. The new fdd hasn't come in yet. I tried to connect the fans but the fans have 4 pin openings and the power fan and sysfan1 have 3 pins. I reinstalled the fan and the shield that I had to remove in order to install the mobo. I also tried to install the DVD bevel but the screw holes didn't line up. The instructions show 3 holes in the bevel bracket but it has only 2. The middle one is the one that I needed but it's the one not on the bracket.

I tried to install some drives, too, but I don't have a screwdriver that's as small in length as is needed to screw the drives into the bays.

With all these probs and questions that I have, I'm going to box everything up and take it to a pc repair place that's here in town and have them finish building it for me. The last thing I want to do is to ruin anything because I made an error.

Thanks for all your help in picking out the parts and giving me directions. It was all very much appreciated. I know that this will be the computer that I've wanted when it's finished. I'll take a picture of it when I get it back from the shop.

Denisejm

Denisejm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 782 posts
Hi,

I just noticed that the racks that hold the drives in place are removable, so that I can take them out of the case, put the drives in them and then screw the racks with the drives into the computer case.

I'd really like to finish this build myself, so I'm hoping someone will answer the questions that I asked in the past few posts.

I also need to know what I'd need to buy, an adaptor of some sort, so that I can plug the 3-pin fan wires into the 4-pin fan connectors on the motherboard. Please help.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Sorry, been rather busy lately.

Yea, I leaped before I looked. I just went upstairs to install the DVD drive but decided to check out the controller card and the video card. 6 ports face outwards, not on the side. There are 2 more ports on the top. I believe that I can't use these ports for some reason that was mentioned in this thread. I'm going to look back thru the posts and see what was said about them. Tomorrow, the DVD drive and the hard drive for sure. (I procrastinate)

Question 1: I RMA'd the floppy drive. Will the system post without the floppy drive installed?

EDIT: I found this about the controller card:

The SATA cables actually come with the expansion cards, so you don't need any SATA cables. You also have the option to purchase a 8 port card that'll take 8 drives alone, instead of using two 4 port cards. The 8 port card will cost more, but I think you'd like it given that it has the option of setting up a JBOD array, should you go that route in the future. Additionally, it'll keep a PCIe slot open. Aside from that, there isn't any more benefits. I'll let you decide on what you want to do here. Two four port cards would cost you 240$, the eight port card will set you back 260$. Again, I want to make this very clear, if you ever plan on making a RAID array, don't trust you're data with these cards. For expansion cards, these will do just fine.

Question 2: So I can use all 8 ports?

A small cable with a few pins on each side came with the controller card. I read the manual and couldn't find if or where it's needed. The only mention of a small cable was in reference to connecting 2 controller cards.

Question 3: I only inserted the card into the port. Does the small cable need to be connected to the card and motherboard? I didn't see any ports on the motherboard for it either. I just want to make sure that it's not needed.

1. Yes you can POST the computer without a floppy drive installed.

2. Yes you should be able to use all 8 ports.

3. I'm not 100% sure, but it seems like exactly what you say, only to connect two of these same cards together. (Not to the motherboard).

I remember that I had 2 connections for my cpu and heat sink and fan when I built my present computer. There's one wire that I connected into the cpu fan connector on the motherboard but there aren't any other wires or a port for connection to the psu or anything else. Is this right?

For the CPU, you should have the heatsink/fan which has a power/sensor port in the motherboard nearby, this will be on the motherboard manual. You'll also need a 4-pin (or 8-pin) CPU power cord that comes from the PSU and plugs in near the processor. This provides power to the CPU.

Hi, I have another question. :)

The instructions say that the drives are to be held into place with sleeved screws. What do sleeved screws look like?

Sleeved screws should have come with the case. I have a couple of these, they look like this:

Sleeved_HDD_Screws.JPG

I just installed the DVD drive. The new fdd hasn't come in yet. I tried to connect the fans but the fans have 4 pin openings and the power fan and sysfan1 have 3 pins. I reinstalled the fan and the shield that I had to remove in order to install the mobo. I also tried to install the DVD bevel but the screw holes didn't line up. The instructions show 3 holes in the bevel bracket but it has only 2. The middle one is the one that I needed but it's the one not on the bracket.

I tried to install some drives, too, but I don't have a screwdriver that's as small in length as is needed to screw the drives into the bays.

With all these probs and questions that I have, I'm going to box everything up and take it to a pc repair place that's here in town and have them finish building it for me. The last thing I want to do is to ruin anything because I made an error.

Thanks for all your help in picking out the parts and giving me directions. It was all very much appreciated. I know that this will be the computer that I've wanted when it's finished. I'll take a picture of it when I get it back from the shop.

If the fans have different headers to what's on the motherboard, you should be able to find some adapters for purchase. Ask at you local computer shop what they have. If not to the fan headers on the motherboard, then at least directly to the PSU.

Hi,

I just noticed that the racks that hold the drives in place are removable, so that I can take them out of the case, put the drives in them and then screw the racks with the drives into the computer case.

I'd really like to finish this build myself, so I'm hoping someone will answer the questions that I asked in the past few posts.

Sounds like you're mostly onto it so far. Hopefully that's all your questions...

Troy

Denisejm

Denisejm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 782 posts
Thanks for helping, Troy, and for your time. I'm sorry, but I have a few more questions . . . it's almost finished so there may be only a few more.

Plenty of sleeved screws came with the case, and plenty of other kinds. Thanks for showing me the picture.

If the fans have different headers to what's on the motherboard, you should be able to find some adapters for purchase.

I just found some molex connectors that fit on the fan pins and I connected them to the molex connectors on the psu. Is this okay?

PwrFan has 3 pins. Which fan should be plugged into the PwrFan port?

For the CPU, you should have the heatsink/fan which has a power/sensor port in the motherboard nearby, this will be on the motherboard manual. You'll also need a 4-pin (or 8-pin) CPU power cord that comes from the PSU and plugs in near the processor. This provides power to the CPU.

There's a 4-pin cpu fan port that I had already plugged in. I found the connector for the psu connector but the psu connector is too wide to fit in the space provided for it on the mobo. There are no other connectors coming from the psu that come close to resembling the port for the cpu power connector. I'm attaching a photo of the cpu connector on the mobo and an extremely rough hand-drawn sketch on the schematic that shows the shape of the connector (right under where I wrote ATX 12V 2X on the left hand side). Is there an adapter that I can buy that has nothing coming off the sides that I can connect to the psu connector on one end and into the port on the mobo?

Also, I connected the video card to the PCIEX16 port and the HighPoint PCIe 8-PORT CARD to the PCIEX4_2 port. Is this okay?

Attached Thumbnails

• cpu_connector_on_motherboard.jpg

Edited by Denisejm, 15 February 2009 - 12:17 AM.