Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Question about Partitioning

• Please log in to reply

Caffeine_Powered

Caffeine_Powered

• PipPipPip
  • 475 posts
Alright so I decided I wanted to download the Windows 7 Beta and give it a shot (downloaded it fine). I go to partition my harddrive and it says I can only partition roughly 12000mbs (12gigs), but I want to make a 20 gig parition atleast. So I went online found some tutorials and they said it's good to defrag your HDD if you're having trouble partitioning.
So I downloaded JKDefrag and let it do it's thing for awhile. It's defragged I go back to partition, and now I can only shrink the volume by 6000 mbs..........

Needless to say I'm a bit :)

I'm not one to normally partition but I've never had a problem. I've read that you should disable page filing, delete system restore points yada yada yada.....I've also heard that due to Vista's default partitioner you're better off using third party (GParted, etc)..But I'm afraid if I use third party I'll brick my Vista partition - not the biggest problem since I have everything backed up, I have my recovery discs, my OS disc, a copy of my registry etc, I'd just rather avoid the headache if at all possible......

So any advice?
Should I disable page filing, system restore, snapshots, and all that junk???
Should I use 3rd Party partitioner?

Specs in my signature currently...
I have a 250GB HDD...
Currently partitioned in two, primary and recovery...

217 GB on Primary - 149 GB free
15.8 GB on Recovery - 8.05 GB free

Edited by Caffeine_Powered, 15 January 2009 - 04:57 AM.

Advertisements

Caffeine_Powered

Caffeine_Powered

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 475 posts
Alright for reference I did everything listed above and I was able to make a partition to 20gigs...... I only wanted 20gb, I could've made up to 25 gbs I believe....

Anyway I'll provide the link where it explains what I did (I used this site for reference)...
http://www.howtogeek...quacy-problems/

casemonster

casemonster

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
Try using Piriform's Defraggler, great program and best of all FREE!!!
It will also merge all of your data to one physical spot on the disk instead of spreading it out like jkdefrag...

Windows 7 is still a little buggy, i bluscreened it in 5 mins... :)

O yeah just use vista's built in disk manager under admin tools to shrink (and when your done with 7 shrink) your partition!

PedroDaGR8

PedroDaGR8

• PipPipPip
  • 786 posts
JKDefrag has an option to do what you say casemonster, but this option (option 5) has to be set via command line or create a shortcut to run it automatically.

At the command line if you type JkDefrag.exe -a 5 this forces all the data to the front of the disk, as it says in the read me file, this is for partitioning.

To create the shortcut:
  • Right-Click on the file JKDefrag.exe
  • Choose Make a Shortcut or Create a Shortcut I can't remember the wording.
  • This will create a new file called JKDefrag.exe - Shortcut
  • Right-Click on the shortcut and select Properties
  • There will be an option called Target or Path depending on the version of windows which will contain the location of the JKDefrag file.
  • To the end of the path, add -a 5 (make sure you have a space between exe and -a and a space between -a and 5).
  • Click OK
  • Double-Click the new shortcut and it should run using option 5.

Edited by PedroDaGR8, 16 January 2009 - 10:37 AM.

casemonster

casemonster

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
Thanks pedro thats pretty nifty, that was the only reason i had switched to defraggler.

PedroDaGR8

PedroDaGR8

• PipPipPip
  • 786 posts
JKDefrag has multiple options for how it runs, if you read the index.html in the doc folder that comes with JKDefrag, you can see it has a range of options and flags you can set. These options range from only defragmenting certain files to how much processor it uses etc.