Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows XP Pro No Sound now after I ran Regcure?

• Please log in to reply

medt

medt

• PipPip
  • 77 posts
Hi, I ran RegCure and it found a bunch of errors, after they were fixed I have no sound now on emails, startup of computer, etc., and also a little Red "X" is popping up regarding Norton and I have not had Norton on my system in years. I am not sure what is going on or what to do at this point. THANKS

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hello medt...

Have you tried running a system restore to a date before you used the registry cleaner? Restoring to a previous registry may straighten things out.

Registry cleaners are notorious for wreaking havoc. I highly recommend never using them.

wannabe1

medt

medt

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
I ran a system restore, but I did not work. The only thing now that I am really seeing is no sound when I get my emails. I have the correct boxes checked for sound for them, but it is not working and I found a Folder that says LICENSES and then VBOX and it contains Norton, but I have not had Norton Antivirus since 2003 and it will not let me remove it. I even tried the Norton Removal tool THANKS

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
1. Sound problem - reinstall sound driver
2. Norton leftover - use Unlocker: http://ccollomb.free.fr/unlocker/

medt

medt

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
THANKS I did the unlock, but not sure how to reinstall driver.

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts

not sure how to reinstall driver

What computer brand, and model is it?

and also a little Red "X" is popping up regarding Norton and I have not had Norton on my system in years

Download HijackThis:
http://www.trendsecu...ckthis/download
Click on Download HijackThis Installer
Install, and run it.

Click on Open the Misc Tools section button.
Click on Generate StartupList log button.
The list will open in Notepad.
Save it as startup.txt.
Zip the file, and attach it to your next reply.

medt

medt

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
Hi, mine is a Compaq Presario 6000 and the little red button is not coming up anymore since I used the unlocker tool to get rid of the old Norton completely. I did Hijack and saved the notepad as you said, but I am unsure how to Zip it. The main problem I am having is the sound features for incoming emails through outlook express and my Avast use to give me sounds when there was a new update or a suspicious email and they do not work either. If you can let me know how to zip that file I will place it on here or should I copy and paste what the notebook said? THANKS

medt

medt

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
I think I figured out about the zip folder. Let me know if this worked.

Compaq Presario 6000 - only problem now no sound on incoming emails even though I have it checked to have sound and my Avast is no longer having a sound for suspicious emails or stating that the virus bank has been updated. Thank you again

Attached Files

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
Just to make sure, all Norton garbage is gone, run Norton Removal Tool: http://service1.syma...005033108162039

As for the sound is only mail, and Avast sound affected? Do you have other regular Windows sounds? Do you have a sound on the internet? Can you play music CDs?

medt

medt

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
Hi, Iam glad you asked that. I put in a CD/DVD into my DVD Rom and I saw the green light come on, but nothing. I went to My Computer to find the Drive E or the the other Disc Rewritable and they are not listed. The only thing listed is A, D, and C. I use to have an E and one other drive at one point. Any suggestions? Also I do not see Windows Media Player listed under Accessories and Entertainment as an option. THANKS

Edited by medt, 18 January 2009 - 01:26 PM.

Advertisements

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
It looks like have multiple issues...

Let's start with your CD drive missing...

Try one of these:
1. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314060
Restart computer.
or...
2. Download, and run Restore Missing CD Drive patch
Double click on cdgone.zip to unzip it.
Right click on cdgone.reg, click Merge.
Accept registry merge.
Restart computer.
or...
3. Go to Device Manager, click a "+" sign next to IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers.
You'll see two items:
- ATA Channel0 (or Primary Channel)
- ATA Channel1 (or Secondary Channel)
Right click on each of them, and click Uninstall. Confirm.
Restart Windows. They'll be automatically reinstalled.

medt

medt

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
Okay I got theDVD/CDs back!! THANKS - What is the next thing, the missing sounds? THANKS again and I am happy my DVD is back!

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
Cool :)
Just curious...which step did bring it back?

Now, I need to know more about the sound issue. Do you have ANY sound, like Windows sound, music CD sound?

medt

medt

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
I did the restore midding CD drive patch and it worked. I do have windows sound and it makes the sound when I turn on my computer and boot up. The only sounds I think I am missing is the incoming email sound and the avast sounds that it use to make. I do get a dinging sound when I delete an email, but for some reason no sound for incoming ones. THANKS!!

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
I assume, music CDs play OK?

Go Start>Control Panel, double click on "Sound", click on "Sounds" tab.
What is listed in indicated field? Does the "Test" button work?

Posted Image

(don't pay attention to my setting; I have a customized sound)

Test also Avast sounds:

Posted Image