Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Re install Windows XP Help please?

• Please log in to reply

george28

george28

• PipPip
  • 44 posts
Hi,

I need to reinstall windows XP to my DEll Inspiron 6400.

Could someone explain it to me like I'm five years old please?

I did it once before and I know at one point you run the danger of installing windows twice which I'm trying to avoid.

Thanks!

Advertisements

wambo

wambo

• PipPip
  • 42 posts
Before you re install Windows remember to download the Network driver and save it to memory stick or CD. This is so that you can still access the internet to download all the other drivers your PC will need.

Put the install CD into the drive and reboot your pc.

When the PC is booting you will see black screen white text which says " Press any key now to boot from CD"

Literally press anything.

This will load to a blue screen and it will begin to load everything.

When its finished loading you will need to delete the old partition (assuming you want a totally fresh install)

NOTE YOU WILL LOSE ALL DATA

The on screen instuctons will tell you how to delete it. Once thats done, select the unpartitioned space and click C, this will create a new partition, once you press C it will take you to another screen, here it has used the free space you have on the hard drive and has set it to the size of the partition.

Carry on creating the partition, again the onscreen instructions are straight forward.

Once thats done it'll take you back to the screen you was at previously and all you now need do is (i think its return) hit return and install windows.

Wait for the process to finish, the computer will reboot and then you can do the easiest part of the set up.

Setting your location, the time, what timezone your in.

You should be fine!

Also if anyone else can explain this better than me please feel free to pick up on anything you think I've missed. Even though Im pretty sure that just about covers all he needs to know ?

Anyway Hope this helps and thanks :)

george28

george28

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
Thank you my friend!

wambo

wambo

• PipPip
  • 42 posts
No Problem :)

numinbah

numinbah

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
Have a look at this page before you reinstall it might be of interest I have used this method twice and it worked for me....

http://www.informati...cleID=189400897