Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

windows start up problem

• Please log in to reply

bloodsworld

bloodsworld

• PipPipPip
  • 147 posts
i have a home computer running windows xp. an update msg popped up sayin that the computer was going to restart because it just updated something. so i let it restart and when the computer booted back up it went to system restore screen. i tried canceling the system restore screen and wanted to boot it normally but the computer just rebooted and went back to the system restore. i let it back up all of my files then when i tried to start it normally, it says that its cant be started because its missing a file C:/windows/system32 or something like that. i didnt delete any files or anything and now i try to start the computer and it loads up but then a msg pops up and then it just restarts. anybody know whats happening??

Advertisements

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts

C:/windows/system32 or something like that

"Something like that" won't help us to help you. Please, post exact message.

bloodsworld

bloodsworld

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts
sorry i took so long, i was unable to get to a computer. but now the error stating that its missing a file does not appear...it now loads up and before it fully starts to the desktop, an error pops up sayin : "when trying to update a password, this return status indicates that the value provided as the current password is not correct" and then it goes away after about 5 seconds and the computer reboots and it just keeps doing that over and over. but i dont have a password set for my computer so i have no idea what it is talkin about... any help?

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
When this: When trying to update a password the return status indicates that the value provided as the current password is not correct. is displayed, does it also say: System error: Lsass.exe?

bloodsworld

bloodsworld

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts
yes it does.

bloodsworld

bloodsworld

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts
i dunno if it makes a difference but it says lsass.exe and not Lsass.exe with a capital L.

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
That's fine, as long as it's not lower, or upper case "i".

It looks like you have registry messed up.
Do you have Windows XP CD?

bloodsworld

bloodsworld

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts
oh no. unfortunately i do not have the windows cd. am i pretty much outta luck without that cd?

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
Perform first 3 steps from the manual below, on good computer...

Download Windows Recovery Console: http://www.thecomput...om/files/rc.iso
Download, and install free Imgburn: http://www.imgburn.c...hp?act=download
Using Imgburn, burn rc.iso to a CD.
Boot to the CD (on bad computer)...let it finish loading.
When the "Welcome to Setup" screen appears, press R to start the Recovery Console.
Then, follow the steps from here: http://icrontic.com/...pair_windows_xp, starting below this picture on page 1:
Posted Image

bloodsworld

bloodsworld

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts
ok im stuck. its prompting me to enter the administrator password but i have no password.. the computer usually just turns on and goes straight to the desktop. i tried just pressin enter and not entering a password but is says the password is invalid

Advertisements

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
Yeah, it happens with Recovery Console.
Can you boot into Safe Mode?

bloodsworld

bloodsworld

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts
i dont believe. it doesnt say to boot in safe mode.. what F key do i press while the computer is loadin to boot into safe mode?

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
When computer starts, keep tapping F8 key, immediately.

bloodsworld

bloodsworld

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts
ok i booted into safe mode but then the lsass.exe error popped up again so it restarted and didnt let me get into safe mode

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts

then the lsass.exe error popped up

How much time did you have before it happened?