Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Removing data and restoring computer

• Please log in to reply

jdzcool

jdzcool

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
I need some advice on securly deleting personal data off of my hard drive. I have a store bought system, that came with windows xp home pre installed on it. it came with a recovery partition, but no os disk. I had upgraded this system to another larger hard drive, and just copied the old hard drive contents over to the new one. I am now getting ready to sell this system, and want to make sure all of my personal data is gone before I do. I have three or four questions concerning how to do this.

If I was to use the recovery partition to take this back to original factory settings, would this delete all the data on the drive?(considering that the new drive is 200 gb/original drive was 40gb)

Is there a file shredder program that will delete all the contents, but still allow me to keep the factory settings?

Could I shred the hard drive, then use a different xp disk to reinstall xp on a compaq system?

what would be a good file shredder program to use?(free is best for me)

Thanks again for any help.

Jim

Advertisements