Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

All my files and pictures got ereased...

• Please log in to reply

Lydi

Lydi

• PipPip
  • 30 posts
So my computer had problems, it got a virus and it would not let me turn it on. Someone fixed it, it now turns on and i can use it, but all my files got deleted, its blaankk. Is there a way to get my stuff back?? I had mannyy many pictures =(

Advertisements

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
What exactly is blank?

Lydi

Lydi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
Like as if I just purchased the computer and it does not have anything but the basics.

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts

Someone fixed it

It looks like "someone" used recovery CD, or recovery partition, so all data is gone.
Can you ask them what exactly they did?

Lydi

Lydi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
He said he did not do a windows recovery, that he just installed windows. its because at the time I was out of the country and he did not have a windows recovery CD. He installed Windows 2002

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts

He installed Windows 2002

I assume, you're talking about XP?
Did you have XP also before fixes?
If he performed "clean" install, the data is gone, as well.

I need as much info, as I can get, before I recommend any recovery programs.

Lydi

Lydi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
yes i have XP. well that's all he said he did, installed windows again because initially whenever i tried to turn on the computer it would start out fine with the logos and everything, but then right before it would get to the log in screen it would shut down and restart itself, it would do that continuously. and but before it shut down it would go to a black screen where it had the option to start in safe mode, and it counted down 30 seconds then it would restart itself. but when i would choose safe mode a bunch of letters and numbers would scroll the screen and it would restart itself.

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
Since all data is gone, we may assume, the hard drive was formatted, and Windows reinstalled.
There is very slim chance to recover your files, but it costs nothing to try.
Try these: http://www.raymond.c...overy-software/
Start with Recuva.

Lydi

Lydi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
:) I have tried 3 different recovery softwares and I don't get anything from before: Recuva, PC Inspector File Recovery, and another one...

Can you ask them what exactly they did?

New info: The guy who tried to repair the pc, said the pc was blank when he accessed it, and installed windows, and said he DID formatted the hard drive. I don't know what else he did b/c I was out & he didn't even asked! Should he not formatted?

Is there another possible solution?

:)

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts

Should he not formatted?

Surely, he should have asked you first, or at least hooked up the drive as a slave, and backed up your data.
Since Windows installed, HD must be doing OK.
Some lousy technician, I'd say.

If those recovery programs don't work, and you're not willing to pay couple of thousands of dollars for professional recovery, I'm afraid, you're out of luck.

Lydi

Lydi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
Thanks...

then I should give up on recoverying my files.

But talking about part II of my problem, if I want to install the Windows XP Media Home Edition 2005 that used to have my pc ( because the guy installed an old version), what do you recommend?? Is there a site where I can get the software?

Hope I'm not bodering too much

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts

I want to install the Windows XP Media Home Edition 2005 that used to have my pc ( because the guy installed an old version)

If I understand correctly your question, you have nothing to worry about.
Windows XP was introduced in 2001, but it began its real life in 2002, and thus you can see "version 2002" in your Control Panel. In 2002, and in 2008 it's still the same XP. Obviously some service packs, and updates were done, but the base is still the same.
Windows XP Media Home Edition 2005 was introduces in 2005. It's still same XP with a few multimedia features added.
If I had a choice between XP Pro, and XP media Edition, I'd always select straight XP Pro, which is more universal.
"Oh, I had Windows 2005, and the guy installed some 2002"...if this is what you're worrying about, worry you not.
Windows XP, you have is as good as Windows XP on a computer from 2002, 2005, or 2007. They're all the same.

THEABCDOG

THEABCDOG

• Pip
  • 2 posts
HI YOU SHOULD CHECK OUT GIVEAWAYOFTHEDAY.COM THEY RECENTLY HAD A PROGRAM JUST FOR THAT

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts

HI YOU SHOULD CHECK OUT GIVEAWAYOFTHEDAY.COM THEY RECENTLY HAD A PROGRAM JUST FOR THAT

Huh?

amd64fx

amd64fx

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
U can use professional data recovery means use of a lab. I am partners with one world data recovery and im sure they can get the data. Also u can use getdataback it works well for deleted files. Let me know if I can help