Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Most programs and XP functions suddenly not working

• Please log in to reply

kormaniac

kormaniac

• Pip
  • 1 posts
To the Experts,

I turned off my computer for the evening, but then returned after an hour or so and suddenly things were quite amiss.
A) there was no longer the default toolbar across the bottom of the screen (no start icon either).
B) sound no longer worked.
C) I went into the device manager and could not select 'properties' for anything. no little window would open.
D) I can not run a search. Nothing happens when I click search.
E) There is no longer an 'Add or Remove Software' icon in the control panel.
F) IE will not open. (but i use firefox anyhow)
G) no microsoft office 2003 programs open.
H) I can't defrag
I) I use Zone Alarm pro and it appears frozen. I can't open it and if i put my mouse over the icon in the bottom right corner it says: Protection is up UI is initializing.
J) windows media player won't open and pictures will no longer open.
K) I can no longer move files from one folder to the next. The just won't 'drag'.
L) I have Ad-Aware 2007 but it won't open.

I have internet connection still. A few programs work. I was able to run spyware doctor with antivirus and no threats were found.
I ran spybot search and destroy and there are no threats.
I have auto update for microsoft updates...but it won't auto update now. I was able to download the latest
microsoft windowsmalicious software removal tool (KB890830) and no files were infected.

I also went through the malware steps listed on this website...but I'm not so sure thats the problem now.
Regardless,
I ran ATF Cleaner with no problems.
Sysrestorepoint would not run, I got the error: microsoft.net.framework cannot create activex component.
ERUNT got an error window:
C:\Program Files\ERUNT\AUTOBACK.exe an error occured while trying to rename a file in the destination directory: move file failed; code 32

Malwarebytes also got an error
Runtime error '372':
Failed to load control 'vbalGrid' from vbalsgrid6.ocx your version of vbalsgrid6.ocx may be outdated. Make sure you are ing the version of the control that was provided with your application.

I also have a hi-jackthis log and uninstall log. But I'll see if you feel that is necessary to post.

I'm sure there are many other things not functioning properly...and wanted to check with the pros before attempting to reinstall XP.

To me this all sounds like a doozy of a problem. Thank you very much for any help.

Advertisements