Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Adjusting routers with Firefox

• Please log in to reply

sage5

sage5

RIP 10/2009

• Retired Staff
  • 2,646 posts
I have noticed this recently, on 3 different brands of routers. All on separate PC systems.
When you make changes to the router settings using the web interface through Firefox, you can access all the pages, change any settings, and click the "Apply" button.
All seems right until you come to reboot the router, (a necessary step to save the settings in most/all(?) routers).
When you click the "Reboot router/appliance" button, it generally will not force the router to reboot.
When you try to connect to the internet, the settings are still as they were.

So far I have noticed this with D-Link DSL-G604T, a Netgear DM111P & a Dynalink RTA 1320.
On all 3 systems, if I try to do the same in IE7, the reboot happens without a hitch
Has anyone else seen/had this problem?
Any ideas why this might happen?

Advertisements

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
I have no problems setting up my router settings or rebooting my D-link using Firefox (v 1.5). I wouldn't think it would matter which browser you use as the browser is only being used to display the settings. Seems strange it works only with IE for you.

sage5

sage5

RIP 10/2009

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 2,646 posts
This is using Firefox v3.X.X, but I think it has been happening since about midway through the v2 series.
It might be similar to how some web pages display incorrectly in FF, the reason why I have the IE View add-on.
Perhaps the coding of the web interface is not completely compatible.

wambo

wambo

• PipPip
  • 42 posts
Its understandable. IE is kinda the mother for everything, but dont get me wrong I much prefer Firefox. Just sometimes its not as diverse as you need it to be.