Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

AOL keys in Registry

• Please log in to reply

Loopy1

Loopy1

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I was wondering if you can completely and safely delete everything [I][B]about AOL from the registry? I have heard it could harm the computer from some and others say it's okay as long as you're not using it anymore.

Advertisements

WhyBeNormal

WhyBeNormal

• PipPip
  • 30 posts
As long as you're no longer using AOL, I don't see how it could hurt.

(I assume you're refering to America Online, and not registry keys that have the letters "aol" in them...)

Edited by WhyBeNormal, 06 May 2005 - 10:02 PM.

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts

I was wondering if you can completely and safely delete everything [I][B]about AOL from the registry? I have heard it could harm the computer from some and others say it's okay as long as you're not using it anymore.

View Post

I usually do a search of the Hard drive using AOL as keyword and first remove all AOL stuff that was left after using the Add/Remove utility in Control Panel. Then I open regedit, make a backup of complete registry, then do a registry search using AOL as the keyword and delete each and everyone. Just be careful of what search highlights for you as anything with AOL/aol will get highlighted. If in doubt, leave it. You want to take a chance, delete it. After all, you did make a registry backup...right?

Ron