Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Laptop's Touchpad no longer working at all

• Please log in to reply

rossko_uk

rossko_uk

• PipPip
  • 49 posts
Hi, I'm desperate that someone can help me. For whatever reason, after I rebooted to allow Windows Update to do its thing, my touchpad has stopped working. I'm using a Dell Inspiron 6400, Vista 32bit, and when I try and click on "Mouse" in the Control Panel list and look under the Hardware tab, it says that my "Synaptics PS/2 Port Pointing device" is "not working properly because Windows cannot load the drivers required for this device (Code 31)". I've attempted an unistall/reinstall of the Hardware, but today I notice that it doesn't even display in the Hardware list, despite me searching for it as new hardware.

There's another Hardware issue that may or not be related with "IdeaCom HID Touchscreen (PS/2)". My dell is not a touch screen, but the error note says "This device cannot start (Code 10). No idea what that means either.

If anyone has a solution I'd be most grateful because I hate having to use a USB mouse with my laptop. I don't have enough room, that's why I bought a laptop! Grrrr!

Advertisements

PedroDaGR8

PedroDaGR8

• PipPipPip
  • 786 posts
Uninstall this ttouchscreen driver. WinUpdate accidentally pushed this driver out to a lot of peoplpe and it takes over the PS/2 mouse functions. Uninstall this and reinstall your track pad and it should work fine.

For more information see here:
http://www.howtofixc...2-a-217107.html

rossko_uk

rossko_uk

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts

Uninstall this ttouchscreen driver. WinUpdate accidentally pushed this driver out to a lot of peoplpe and it takes over the PS/2 mouse functions. Uninstall this and reinstall your track pad and it should work fine.

For more information see here:
http://www.howtofixc...2-a-217107.html

So I went to uninstall the IdeaCom issue but it is no longer listed in the Device Manager window (I have rebooted since I wrote about my issue). However I now have a little box pop up on the left hand side which I can scribble in, obviously for touch screen use.

I then went to check for the OEMxx is mentions in the thread you linked, but I have 73 of them, all with different dates and more than one with the same date. How do I know which one to remove?

Thanks for your help!

PedroDaGR8

PedroDaGR8

• PipPipPip
  • 786 posts
Ouch, hmm. Let me look around and see what I can come up with.

rossko_uk

rossko_uk

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
OK well I managed to make the IdeaCom appear again and uninstalled it, I think that's gotten rid of it. *Runs a quick Hardware check in Device Manager* Yup all gone.

However now I have reinstalled Synaptic Drivers and downloaded a file from their site, run that and still nothing with the same error message:

"This device is not working properly because Windows cannot load the drivers required for this device. (Code 31)

Click 'Check for solutions' to send data about this device to Microsoft and to see if there is a solution available."

I've clicked the solutions button but nothing ever shows. I'm really stuck now!

PedroDaGR8

PedroDaGR8

• PipPipPip
  • 786 posts
STEPS:
1. Open "My Computer" and go to the following location
C:\windows\system32\drivers.

2. Find a file named "idcphid.sys" and rename it to "idcphidMODIFIED"

3. Now uninstall the "IdeaCom HID Touch Screen (PS/2)" driver under "Human
Interface Devices" in "Device Manager" (Device Manager can be found under
"Control Panel" > "Administrative Tools" > "Computer Management")

4. Your computer will require a restart. After the restart completes your
problem should be fixed.

POSSIBLE EXPLANATION:
If you JUST uninstall the driver under "Human Interface Devices" it will
find the driver after the first reboot and reinstall itself. A second reboot
will show that your mouse is not working again.

By renaming or deleting the "idcphid.sys" file it can't reinstall itself
apparently.

Try this option. I saw this one as well.

rossko_uk

rossko_uk

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts

STEPS:
1. Open "My Computer" and go to the following location
C:\windows\system32\drivers.

2. Find a file named "idcphid.sys" and rename it to "idcphidMODIFIED"

3. Now uninstall the "IdeaCom HID Touch Screen (PS/2)" driver under "Human
Interface Devices" in "Device Manager" (Device Manager can be found under
"Control Panel" > "Administrative Tools" > "Computer Management")

4. Your computer will require a restart. After the restart completes your
problem should be fixed.

POSSIBLE EXPLANATION:
If you JUST uninstall the driver under "Human Interface Devices" it will
find the driver after the first reboot and reinstall itself. A second reboot
will show that your mouse is not working again.

By renaming or deleting the "idcphid.sys" file it can't reinstall itself
apparently.

Try this option. I saw this one as well.

I changed the file but nothing appeared in the Device Manager list, so I restarted anyway and it doesn't work still. I then deleted the file and still nothing.

I've done some research myself as the code error is now Code 39, and a lot of the solutions online say I need to delete some registry keys. I downloaded DevCon to determine what needs to go, but DevCon strangely flashes up then disappears. I can't seem to get it to stay on screen.

I don't know if you have any other suggestions?

PedroDaGR8

PedroDaGR8

• PipPipPip
  • 786 posts
If you know which keys you need to delete, just use regedit. Start-->Run-->Type Regedit and hit enter.

rossko_uk

rossko_uk

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts

If you know which keys you need to delete, just use regedit. Start-->Run-->Type Regedit and hit enter.

Well, I managed to sort the problem. I uninstalled the mouse option in the Device Manager but instead of trying to reinstall straight away, I reset my laptop and let Windows install it itself. I then installed the Synaptic drivers so almost everything is back to normal.

Just one issue new issue though: when I pressed both buttons together, it acted like a middle button, so for example if I was browsing the net and wanted to open something in a new tab but not immediately look at it, I'd press both together and it'd create that link in a fresh tab ready for when I wanted to look at it. Now howver this isn't the case and I've gone through all my mouse settings and can't seem to see an option to do this. I hate not having it because it's really useful when browsing my RSS feeds. Is there something I'm not doing right? Looking in the wrong settings?

Thanks for all your help, I would never have found that file you mentioned!