Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

We apologies.....

• Please log in to reply

KatieG

KatieG

• Pip
  • 6 posts
I am having a problem with my Compaq Presario S6900NX, it is giving me the “We apologies...” screen.

When I push the ON button on my Compaq I see the red Compaq logo against the black screen flash by and then a black screen with “Please select OS to start:” I choose the Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition and it takes me to the black screen with “We apologies….” . It instructs me to choose the option “Last known good config…” and in choosing that the Windows XP screen flashes by and then the red Compaq logo flashes by and it takes me right back to the “We apologies…. “ screen. Next step was to choose the option for Safe Mode and instead of running for a long period of time as others suggested it goes right back to the “We apologies….” screen. Any idea what to do now?

Thanks, KatieG

Advertisements

jt1990

jt1990

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,519 posts
It sounds like your computer is going to the Advanced startup options. Try using the arrow keys until "Safe Mode" is selected, and then press "enter." This will load Windows with only the drivers that it absolutely needs to run, and is great for trouble shooting. If you can get into Safe Mode, then try to boot again to normal mode. If it still doesn't work, post back here and we'll see what we can do.

KatieG

KatieG

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Using the Safe Mode just takes me back to the "We apologies...." screen. Any other suggestions?
KatieG

hfcg

hfcg

The hippie freak computer geek

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
Hello,
It sounds like your master boot record has become corrupt.
Do you have your windows XP CD? If you do, I want you to put it in and turn on your computer. When you are given the message press any key to boot from cd..., press a key and Windows Setup will start. At the first screen where you have to enter input, hit R to enter the Recovery Console. Then you will have to hit 1 to log into your windows installation and then just hit Enter for the Administrator password because it is normally blank unless you changed it. Once you are at the command prompt C:\WINDOWS I want you to type each of the following, hitting enter after each line:
• attrib -s -h -r c:\boot.ini
• del c:\boot.ini
• bootcfg /rebuild
• fixboot
Now type Exit and take your XP CD out. Your computer will reboot itself. Post back how things are going.

KatieG

KatieG

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Thank you, I will try that, but first I must search for the CD.
I will be back soon.
KatieG

hfcg

hfcg

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
If you can not find the disc;
Here is a link that you can download the recovery console to your desktop.
And here is a link that tells you how to make the disc.
This is used to repair your computer, using the proper utilitys.

KatieG

KatieG

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
I am unable to locate the Windows XP CD but I did find 7 CD's marked Campaq Recovery.
Will this help me or should I try the link you suggested and just make the disc?
KatieG

hfcg

hfcg

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
Follow the links that I gave, and make the recovery console disc.
The recovery disc that you found will reset the computer to factory condition, erasing all of your data.

KatieG

KatieG

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
One last question before I go. Since I am unable to use the Campaq to make the disc, I will have to use this other computer and it is an iMac. The disc I make won't recognize that it is a Mac will it? Sounds like a silly question but with my luck, if I don't ask that is what would happen.
KatieG

hfcg

hfcg

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
Now that is a realy good question!
I have no idea if the burning program will work with a Mac.
Can you use a friends windows based computer to burn the disc?

KatieG

KatieG

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
At the moment no. I will have to try with the Mac first and find a friend if it doesn't work. For now it will have to wait. I need to prepare for the weekend and won't be able to get back to this till Monday. Thank you sir for your help today. I hope to see you next week and I can fill you in on the progress.
KatieG