Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Incorrect processor size being read

• Please log in to reply

Carol Tapp

Carol Tapp

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I recently did a PC Restore on my 3-year old Dell Inspiron 9300, which has Win XP. It has a 2 ghz Intel Pentium processor. In trying to reinstall some software, I got the message that I needed to have at least 440 mhz processor. So I went into Setup, where it shows 2 ghz. I also checked System Properties, where it also shows 2 ghz (see attachment). However, I ran Belarc Advisor, which shows only 220 mhz (see second attachment)! It also took two hours to reinstall MS Word 2007 and an hour to install a printer.

The machine is also slow so is obviously not reading the correct speed. Any ideas as to what is causing the problem and how to correct it?

Attached Thumbnails

• belarc.jpg
  • system.jpg

Edited by Carol Tapp, 16 January 2009 - 04:22 PM.

Advertisements

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts

I recently did a PC Restore on my 3-year old Dell Inspiron 9300, which has Win XP. It has a 2 ghz Intel Pentium processor. In trying to reinstall some software, I got the message that I needed to have at least 440 mhz processor. So I went into Setup, where it shows 2 ghz. I also checked System Properties, where it also shows 2 ghz (see attachment). However, I ran Belarc Advisor, which shows only 220 mhz (see second attachment)! It also took two hours to reinstall MS Word 2007 and an hour to install a printer.

The machine is also slow so is obviously not reading the correct speed. Any ideas as to what is causing the problem and how to correct it?

It has some kind of speed throttling settings in the bios and possibly some kind of software in windows also. TRY THIS FIRST, Look in your bios and disable the Intel SpeedStep setting and CE1 halt state. Then when you go into windows you MIGHT have some sort of software called SpeedSwitchXP as you will have to go into it and look yourself for any options to disable (IF YOU HAVE THIS PROGRAM). IF you disable the speedstep setting and the CE1 halt in the bios and you see that the CPU is running at the correct full speed, JUST REALIZE that your processor will run hotter and this is one reason they included the speed stepping along with saving POWER if you run on your battery.

A good program to see your current/correct cpu speed. download a program called CPUZ http://www.cpuid.com...ad/cpuz_149.zip

The speedstep and the Ce1 halt disabled normally would force the cpu to show the correct full speed on newer systems but not always true for some of the older dell laptops.

Try plugging in the AC power cord from the wall into your laptop and see if the cpu speed increases also. Some laptops MIGHT only run the higher cpu speed while being plugged into the wall socket (GENERALLY OLDER MODELS).

Still no luck then it is probably because of your older model laptop with the Pentium M cpu so you might want to get in touch with the dell support since you bought it there and ask them for any suggestions.. They might have a new Bios available that solves this problem.. WHO KNOWS ask the dell support..

Good Luck! :)