Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Overheat - mobo chipset or RAM?

• Please log in to reply

Apex666

Apex666

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hiya,

I've got a problem which I suspect is a temperature issue, but I'm having trouble narrowing it down.

I'm getting graphical jitters, bugs, strange artefacts and polygons etc etc appearing when playing games and am now receiving errors (exception errors and more lately "Memory could not be read" errors).

Self built system (there's my problem right there!! :) )
--Gigabyte GA965P-DS3 mobo
--Intel Core2 6400 @2.13GHz
--2 x 1Gb Corsair DDR2
--ATi Radeon x1950 Pro
480W PSU

CPU temp seems ok (core0 = 40C and core1 37C now)
GPU temp seems ok (sat at 44c right now - doesn't go above 60ish while gaming)
I've no idea how to figure out mobo chipset or RAM temps.

Not sure how helpful it'll be but I enclose by way of attachment a small screenshot of temps and voltages from speedfan applet.

I did remove each RAM stick and still encountered problems while running each seperately.
I bought a new 650W PSU at great expense - this didn't make any difference so I took it back and got a refund.
I installed an additional case fan tonight - to no avail.

I'd like to try and rule out any overheat on the mobo or RAM next but unsure how to go about this.

Anything else I might be overlooking?

Regards,
Apex666.

Attached Thumbnails

• speedfan_ss.jpg

Advertisements

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts

Hiya,

I've got a problem which I suspect is a temperature issue, but I'm having trouble narrowing it down.

I'm getting graphical jitters, bugs, strange artefacts and polygons etc etc appearing when playing games and am now receiving errors (exception errors and more lately "Memory could not be read" errors).

Self built system (there's my problem right there!! :) )
--Gigabyte GA965P-DS3 mobo
--Intel Core2 6400 @2.13GHz
--2 x 1Gb Corsair DDR2
--ATi Radeon x1950 Pro
480W PSU

CPU temp seems ok (core0 = 40C and core1 37C now)
GPU temp seems ok (sat at 44c right now - doesn't go above 60ish while gaming)
I've no idea how to figure out mobo chipset or RAM temps.

Not sure how helpful it'll be but I enclose by way of attachment a small screenshot of temps and voltages from speedfan applet.

I did remove each RAM stick and still encountered problems while running each seperately.
I bought a new 650W PSU at great expense - this didn't make any difference so I took it back and got a refund.
I installed an additional case fan tonight - to no avail.

I'd like to try and rule out any overheat on the mobo or RAM next but unsure how to go about this.

Anything else I might be overlooking?

Regards,
Apex666.

Try updating to the very latest Ati video card drivers from the manufacturer website. I would even suggest completely uninstalling the video display drivers and even clean them out with a program called driver sweeper by guru3d..

http://www.guru3d.co.../driversweeper/

Install the above program then uninstall your current video card drivers. Now open up the driver sweeper and delete any left over files on the ati driver tab.

Next just install the NEW video card drivers for ATI then reboot pc and test..

Do you have the video card overclocked or not?

---------------------------------------------------------------------
STILL HAVING PROBLEMS?? read below

LASTLY - FOR the artifact problem
Still getting the artifacts then It could possibly be the video card itself. At one time it might have gotten to hot and you damaged some ram chips or even the gpu slightly who knows exactly.

Wouldn't hurt to search for newer motherboard drivers or mobo chipset drivers to update on.