Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

How to add external DVD to my boot-up in BIOS

• Please log in to reply

dforeid

dforeid

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I have a Dell Dimension 4600 and I am planning to purchase Ghost so I can Ghost my drive. I would like to save my image to my external Sony DVD drive to save on the number of disks needed for the image. When I boot up and go into F2 setup mode, the DVD drive isn't listed as a boot option... just my CD drive, hard drive and floppy drive.

The Sony external DVD drive is a USB device - model DRX-510UL

Any help would be appreciated.... also, if there is a better utility to use for a full system image than Ghost, I would appreciate that feedback also.

I just rebuilt my system after a virus and would rather not have to go through that process again !!!!!

Edited by dforeid, 16 January 2009 - 06:01 PM.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Devices like these generally don't appear in F2 on Dell machines - you can sometimes use F12 and the boot menu to boot from it instead.
That being said, you don't need to boot from it anyway - use the Ghost CD in your current drive to image to the USB drive.

Of course an alternate solution would not need to be an external DVD drive - an external hard drive will do better, and Ghost isn't particularly hot on backing up direct to media such as DVD - it'll do it and do it happily but it very rarely wants to read it again afterwards. An external hard drive will allow you to keep the entire image as opposed to swapping the disks every time.

Ghost is possibly one of the best disk cloning solutions you can buy. Other solutions are available but I like Norton Ghost.