Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer will not boot after RAM replaced

• Please log in to reply

Canuhelp?

Canuhelp?

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I have a Dell Dimension 4550. It was running slow so I decided to add RAM. I don't know if this has any significance but my son-in-law was trying to help and removed the old RAM without turning the power off. When the old RAM was put back the computer would not boot - black screen. Computer beeps when RAM is out; won't boot when RAM is in. New RAM stick arrived and the same thing happens. Tried both RAM sticks at once, one at a time, different slots...all with the same result. The fan comes on, the keyboard light blinks and then nothing. What next?

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Removing the RAM with the computer switched on (as in, while running) was, with respect, not a very good idea and it's entirely possible the memory controller's been shorted on the board, effectively writing it off. As it's a Dell machine the board will be impossible to replace.

Canuhelp?

Canuhelp?

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
I'm pretty sure it was running in sleep mode when he pulled the RAM out because he put it back in and later when I went to the computer to turn it on it was already on. If "the worst" did not happen is there anything else I could try? Would the battery have anything to do with it? CPU was working fine but losing time before all of this happened.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Sleep mode is effectively power on for most computers.
Since you've tried new memory and the same thing is happening, I'd say the board's toast.
The battery is irrelevant, in all honesty. If it had something to do with it, you'd have known about it long before the new memory went in.