Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Network card default/optimal settings

• Please log in to reply

Kyomi

Kyomi

• PipPip
  • 43 posts
I've been reading alot of places online and from alot of friends about networking and optimizing it and just have a few questions; but first what I have right now:

NVIDIA nForce 10/100/1000 Mbps Ethernet running under Win Vista Home Premium SP1

When I click the 'configure' button and then over to advanced theres alot of options there and I'm wondering what would be the default/optimal settings?
Default because I am having a problem with 'packet loss' as my friends told me in World of Warcraft. I could have a 200-300ms ping but I still get stutters,
so I changed around alot of settings.. which I think might of made it worse and I have no clue to what the defaults were.

Flow Control: Disabled
Interrupt Moderation: Enabled
IP Checksum Offload: RX & TX Enabled
Large Send Offload V1 (IPv4) : Enabled (same settings for V2 (IPv4) and V2 (IPv6) although there isn't a V1 (IPv6)? )
Low Power State Link Speed: Disabled
Network Address: Not Present
Priority & VLAN: Priority Enabled
Reset PHY If Not In Use: Disabled (I have no clue what this meant so I never touched it)
Speed/duplex settings: Autoneg for 100FD
TCP Checksum Offload (IPv4/IPv6) : RX & TX Enabled/Disabled (IPv6 one is on it's own line)
UDP Checksum Offload (IPv4/IPv6) : RX & TX Enabled/Disabled (same as above)
VLAN Id: 1
WakeOnLAN From PowerOff: Disabled

Those are the current settings which I doubt are the defaults, if you can help that would be wonderful :)

Onto my second question about 'another NIC', which is the Killer NIC K1 (edit: Just recently found the search button, nevermind ^^;:)

Edited by Kyomi, 16 January 2009 - 11:24 PM.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Packet loss is typically caused in most cases because the bottleneck is somewhere in cyberspace between where your ISP ends and where your packets need to go. Typically this is caused by internet congestion - too many people online at the same time. Think of it like driving home at 5:30pm - lots of cars and if there's an incident or a bottleneck, then you have a traffic jam and nobody goes anywhere. Same sort of idea.

Kyomi

Kyomi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
So is there anyway to fix that by like... [bleep]ing at the ISP?

I've had this problem for almost 2 weeks now and I've done everything I could possibly do to try to fix it. It is getting very very annoying..
Sure the internet works fine but all I use the internet for is online games :/

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
You can mention to the ISP but all an ISP basically is is a path to cyberspace. Their responsibility ends at the end of this path.

If you own your house, you're responsible for it and everything around it on the deeds of the house. If the driveway is included in the deeds and you were to let it get into a dangerous state and somebody broke their leg on it, you'd be responsible for it. If the connecting roads get into a state and somebody breaks their leg on it, the council/authority is responsible.

So far as the Internet goes, your provider is only responsible for the servers they control. If your bottleneck is being caused by something under their control (which if it was the case it would have affected everything) then you can complain. However all the Internet is in a nutshell is a bunch of computers linked together. It only needs one computer to fall over or somebody to inadvertently cut a cable at the bottom of the sea to effectively cut an entire continent off. The problem comes with finding out who owns what, where its situated and what exactly's wrong with it. This is outside of your ISP's control.

Kyomi

Kyomi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
I've pretty much fixed it now, I have no idea what I did... but I'm not touching it now ^^;

And the 'packet loss' and random pauses for like 1-2sec in game is actually a game issue, I just finished talking with a GM and they know about
and it should be fixed after Tues. maintence :)

Thanks again for your replies ^^