Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Monitor No Signal at boot

• Please log in to reply

robphoto

robphoto

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I have a several-years-old MDG Apton PC running WIN XP.

I just booted up and my Viewsonic VA2012wb monitor displays nothing – briefly displays No Signal. At boot time the system unit emits three beeps.

Verified the monitor works fine by plugging it into my laptop. Also tried another monitor with the system unit and it also displays nothing.

Any ideas?

rob

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Three beeps is memory failure. It's entirely possible this is a case of memory creep.
Take the side of the case off, unplug the tower from the mains and take the memory module(s) out. Leave for a few minutes. Put them back in and see if the problem's solved.
If not, repeat with one stick only in all available slots. Repeat for each slot.

If no joy, it's possible the module(s) are defective and if possible, put some new memory in that you know works. No joy at this point would usually indicate an issue with the board which by this point is only fixable by replacing it.

robphoto

robphoto

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thank you very much. A friend told me it might be the video card. I took it out and reseated it and voila, problem solved. At least temporarily. This system has been giving me various problems over that last few months. Think it's slowly dying.

Just did a complete system backup to my external drive, so feeling more comfortable.

If problem resurfaces I'll keep your memory advice in mind.

thank.

rob