Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

running wow

• Please log in to reply

dragonis111

dragonis111

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hey guys im new here!
I;m trying to run wow on my comp, i went to canyourunit.com and it says i meet all of the minimum requirements and almost the recommended. here is my comp and graphics card info.

Posted Image
Posted Image

Im so confused, I keep getting a blue screen but it restarts in 1 second so I cant read the message, wow works on lowest settings until i see any large object like a big house or a group of npcs. I thought i got a very good graphics card. can anyone help me???
here is a photo of the error, it said it was a device driver stop error.
also other 3d games like battle for middle earth 2 crash like this please help.
Also i checked the blizzard support site and my graphics card is on the list of supported graphics cards.
Posted Image

Edited by dragonis111, 17 January 2009 - 12:11 AM.

Advertisements

Holkeye

Holkeye

• PipPip
  • 37 posts
Go HERE and download the latest drivers for your GPU.

PS. If you don't have it already, I highly recommend getting the full CCC suite rather than just the drivers. It's an immense help if you learn how to use it.

Edited by Holkeye, 17 January 2009 - 08:48 AM.

dragonis111

dragonis111

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
holkeye I've tried that and it cant find a compatible card on my computer when i install it.
Posted Image

Edited by dragonis111, 17 January 2009 - 12:00 PM.

Holkeye

Holkeye

• PipPip
  • 37 posts
Your pic doesn't say that it can't find a GPU, it says that it can't find a driver. Let me try walking you through it once, and if it still doesn't work, let me know.

In the first pic, I've highlighted the options you should choose.

Posted Image

In the second pic, you can see that there were driver updates on December 10, 2008.

Posted Image

Just download and run that file, and your drivers should be fresh and new. Truthfully, sites like canyourunit.com and systemrequirementslab.com are pretty much [bleep]. They push quad-cores and other expensive, unnecessary upgrades on people to meet the recommended requirements, while at the same time claiming certain configurations can run games on low settings that they can't. The 2600 series is getting a bit old these days, so if you've exhausted all possibilities and decide to just buy a new card, I recommend the 4850. I just got one for a little less than $200 a few weeks ago, and I can run pretty much everything on maximum settings.

dragonis111

dragonis111

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Holkeye thanks for all your help trying but what you selected is what I did before and ended up with that message, I guess I'll just upgrade the card like you said, does your graphics card run wow?

If it does then I'll definitely get the 4850, the first time I bought a graphics card though it didn't physically fit in my computer and now this time apparently I wasted 140 bucks on a old card, guess thats what I get for letting a friend of my aunt at her job do every thing for me.

One other concern I have is that higher end graphics cards require higher system specs, so based on the specs I gave you in the first picture in this thread will the ati radeon hd 4850 work on my computer?

Secondly it should fit right because a 2600 fits?

Lastly I see different ati radeon 4850's out there like diamond viper, asus, palit, saphire, and visiontek, so which one do I get? Once again thanks for all your help!!!

Edited by dragonis111, 17 January 2009 - 10:22 PM.

Holkeye

Holkeye

• PipPip
  • 37 posts
I'm not a fan of MMOs, so I've never tried to run WoW, but like I said, it runs nearly everything at full speed, even GTAIV. To answer your questions, you should be fine replacing one card from the HD line with a newer one, but just to be sure, check the wattage on your PSU. The 4850 that I have is an ASUS, but they all use the same Radeon chipset. Do a little searching on newegg or somewhere else, and read some customer reviews. Sorry that I couldn't be more help to you on your original question~