Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer in Vista does not recognize USB External Drive

• Please log in to reply

dockles

dockles

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I have a hard drive installed in an external USB case with its own power supply. I have used this unit on a Win XP machine as an external drive, formatted as NTFS, but now want to use it on a Vista machine for backup purposes.
However, I cannot see the drive in Explorer. I can see it in Device Manager and when I unplug and replug the unit in, Vista makes the usual noise indicating that a connection/disconnection is being made. I have tried View->Refresh to no avail.
Any ideas/suggestions?

BTW: USB flash drives work normally

Advertisements

gclipse02

gclipse02

• PipPip
  • 47 posts
That sounds like a quirk with VIsta. There isn't a yellow or red icon over the device in Device Manager is there? If so, look for another driver online. If not, I still might check to see if there's an updated VIsta-compatible driver online. Seems that Vista tries to be helpful by using a default library of drivers that it comes with. Makes life easier most of the time, but maybe not in this case.