Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

nv4_disp infinite loop

• Please log in to reply

pbar25

pbar25

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
After doing some more research I have come across two possible issues my computer might be having:

1) my last dxdiag revealed this:
Display Memory: 512.0 MB
Current Mode: 1920 x 1200 (32 bit) (60Hz)
Monitor: Plug and Play Monitor
Monitor Max Res: 1600,1200

I don't quite understand that, as I am using a Gateway FPD2485W -- a 24 incher that has 1920X1200 right on the front. One that I have been using for years and has worked great. Is it even possible that a 24 inch widescreen would not be able to do 1920X1200? This thing is outstanding, and even delivers 1080p with the right setup. I am always watching HDTV while I work in PIP. So I would be astounded if this monitor was not supposed to be doing 1920X1200, and that I have been overworking my video cards because they need to compensate for this.

2) While uninstalling drivers and looking over things with DriverSweeper & Autoruns, I have also come across the following files for ATI:
Which is strange because I do not have any ATI products, and this computer came with the previously stated 8800GTX video card - factory installed. I certainly have never installed any ATI drivers myself.

But the following files are located within Windows/System32/Drivers:

atinsnxx.sys
atinttxx.sys
ati1ttxx.sys
ati1rvxx.sys
atinraxx.sys
ati1snxx.sys
atinrvxx.sys
atinxsxx.sys
ati1xsxx.sys
ati2mtag.sys
ati2mtaa.sys
atintuxx.sys
ati1tuxx.sys
atinxbxx.sys
ati1xbxx.sys
ati1pdxx.sys
atinmdxx.sys
ati1raxx.sys
atinpdxx.sys
ati1btxx.sys
ati1mdxx.sys
atinbtxx.sys

as well a few in Windows/System32:
ativdaxx.ax
ativtmxx.dll
ativmvxx.ax
ati2dvaa.dll
ati2cqag.dll
ati3d1ag.dll
ati2dvag.dll
ativvaxx.dll

I am in the process of uninstalling my current video driver (it's off right now.)
I have attempted to 'clean' these ATI files with Driver Sweeper 1.5.5 and it does not do anything to them.

I read that with the 9800GTX+, that the 178 series drivers are most stable, so I will trying one of those.

But I do not want to proceed with any new drivers until I know whether or not I can delete these ATI files, and whether or not my monitor can indeed do 1920X1200.

thanks very much

I have also removed the Physics Accelerator I had inside, along with all of it's drivers to eliminate one more item from the equation. As I don't think I have ever even used it for a game, I'm just going to leave it out. That wasn't the problem however.

Advertisements

pbar25

pbar25

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
in addition, in my very first post, within that DXDiag is information on some ATI stuff that is on my computer, as well the statement that my monitor's max res is 1600x1200

Name: ATI Unified AVStream Driver