Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Unable to use the Search function in XPSP2

• Please log in to reply

HammerHead68

HammerHead68

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
"A file that is required to run search companion cannot be found. You may need to run setup." is the meesage.

I'm not really interested in using the companion (the little animated creatures), and am aware of how to turn it off. My problem is that I am unable to search at all. I have located this exact message at Microsoft's support site, but none of the suggested fixes seem to work. I had several issues with spyware in the last few days, but posted in the appropriate forum for those issues, and seem to have them resolved. I think in cleaning the system of spyware, I must have removed some necessary files. There are other little problems that indicate something important got deleted or modified. For instance, when I go to open Word, the installer opens, and asks for the CD, which was never needed before yesterday. Please help....I'm at a loss of where to go & what to do next. Oh......by the way...I reinstalled SP2.....no help. THanks

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
http://www.microsoft...&displaylang=en

try the above

HammerHead68

HammerHead68

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Sorry...I forgot to mention that I tried that as well. THe install went well, but it was no help.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
how about a link to what you tried so I don't waste time covering old ground

HammerHead68

HammerHead68

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Sorry about that. THe only other thing I did was run TweakNow REgCleaner. It found some things that needed to be (and were safe to be) deleted. It didn't help.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
I have located this exact message at Microsoft's support site, but none of the suggested fixes seem to work

what pages?

HammerHead68

HammerHead68

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
http://support.micro...kb;en-us;319949