Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Something's Missing. Can't Play Video's

• Please log in to reply

DrumsMike

DrumsMike

• PipPip
  • 25 posts
Hello,

OK, I'm on Windows XP, using the Firefox browser &, until recently, was able to watch video's on sites such as "YouTube", etc. In other words, those video's imbedded on internet sites

To be clear, I have no problem watching video's I've downloaded myself on my various players such as "RealPlayer", etc.

My problem seems to be only with imbedded video's. Where once there was the "black box" with a triangle (play) button in the middle of the box, it's no longer there. And sometimes the video box doesn't show up at all. Nothing but a white space where the video usually is

I get no error messages. If you go on, say, "YouTube", you'll have the video in a box/square on the page. It will have either a triangle pointing to the right in the middle of the box/square, which is the play button, or it will have a play button below the box/square. You simply click on those buttons & the video will play

Also, at times you'll see an image of the video in the box/square

Now, when I go there, it's either a black box/square with no play button, no controls & no image, or it's simply a white area with no box/square

In other words the video is not showing up (hope I'm explaining this correctly)

I must have deleted something which isn't allowing the videos to be played. Maybe some "shockwave thingy" or something?

Any idea's?

Thank you in advance for your help

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
Head for Adobe's test site....here... You'll learn if Adobe Flash is installed and which version you have. if you have a old version of Flash the site will immediately ask if want to upgrade.... You'll also learn if you have Adobe's Shockwave Player...
Adobe upgrades their Flash player every hour or so .... :) ...and if you don't have the most current version, YouTube and other Flash movies won't play.

Edited by happyrock, 17 January 2009 - 06:02 PM.

DrumsMike

DrumsMike

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
Thanks for the reply happy

OK, I went to the Adobes's site & downloaded the latest version Flash, opened, installed it & it said installation was complete

When I go to test it at Adobe's test page, it shows nothing, as if I don't have it, & the same thing is still happening at YouTube, etc.

Any idea's?

PS: Once Flash is installed, is there anything else I have to do in order to get it working?

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
try rebooting a couple of times...
nojoy...
go here and get the flash plugin for firefox...if thats the browser your using...get the java that's right below it too..

Edited by happyrock, 20 January 2009 - 08:58 AM.

DrumsMike

DrumsMike

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
OK, I uninstalled & deleted any Flash stuff on my computer, rebooted, installed Flash again, (latest) plus the Java, rebooted again, went to YouTube to see what happens and.....

This time there was no black box/square at all & it read "Hello, you either have JavaScript turned off or an old version of Adobe's Flash Player. Get the latest Flash player.

I AGAIN downloaded the Flash player, went back to YouTube & the black box/square was back, but no play button, just like before

This is getting ridiculous

But you're correct happy, it has something to do with Flash or Java obviously. But what?

After I re-downloaded Flash the box/square returned but won't let me play it. No video play controls. Very frustrating

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
WHAT BROWSER DO YOU USE...
If you use Microsoft Internet Explorer browser

1. Click the View menu and select Internet Options...
2. Click on the "Security" Tab at the top.
3. Click on the "Custom (for expert users)" radio button down the bottom.
4. Click the "Settings..." button
5. Scroll to the bottom to "Active scripting" and click the "Enable" radio button.
6. Click the OK button down the bottom.
7. Click the next OK button (down the bottom of the Internet Options page).
8. Click the 'Back' button on your browser to return to the Previous page.

Note: If this does not work for your version of Explorer, simply changing your
security settings to 'Medium' will usually work.

nojoy...
go to add remove programs in the control panel...remove ANY VERSIONS OF FLASH OR SHOCKWAVE you find there...
then go here and get the stand alone installer package

Edited by happyrock, 20 January 2009 - 06:38 PM.

DrumsMike

DrumsMike

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
I'm using FireFox

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
try to watch youtube using IE...this will tell us if its a system or a browser problem...

DrumsMike

DrumsMike

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
OK, downloaded the installer package & again got this message on FireFox, "Hello, you either have JavaScript turned off or an old version of Adobe's Flash Player. Get the latest Flash player", with no box/square

Went to YouTube on IE & got the same message

System problem?

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
try this...launch fire fox...click on tools...options....content tab...make sure enable javascript has a tick in it ...same for java
nojoy...
go here and get the flash player uninstaller...Due to recent enhancements to the Adobe Flash Player installers, you can now remove the player only by using the Adobe Flash Player uninstaller.
then use the stand alone installer package you downloaded before to reinstall flash and shockwave...
nojoy...
please try the following...

1. Temporarily disable popup blocking software installed on your computer to test.
2. Allow YouTube.com as a trusted site in your Firewall software.
3. Ensure other applications like Quicktime, iTunes, Real Player, or Windows Media Player aren't set as the default streaming application, as this might affect the video player.

Edited by happyrock, 21 January 2009 - 09:41 AM.

Advertisements

DrumsMike

DrumsMike

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
OK, did what you said, & all are checked

By the way, thanks a lot for your help

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
reread my last post ...I added link to get their uninstaller

DrumsMike

DrumsMike

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
OK, how do I find my pop up blocker software? I know Firefox uses one but I didn't download it & have no idea what it's called

Also, something interesting.....

I went to a boat site & the page read "you do not have Flash, it's needed to view this site" (or something to that effect) It gave a link to Adobe on troublshooting

Link here http://kb.adobe.com/...n...6&sliceId=1

I did this...

Internet Explorer ActiveX settings

Browser security settings should be chosen by you or by your system administrator. For single users who do not have an administrator, the Medium: Default Level allows you to view Flash content. For any Custom Level, ensure that both the "Download Signed ActiveX controls" and "Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins" options are set to "Prompt".

To change your security level:

1. Open Internet Explorer.
2. Choose Tools > Internet Options.
3. Select the Security tab.
4. Select Custom Level.
5. Find the section "ActiveX controls and plug-ins".
6. Set ' Download Signed ActiveX Controls' to Prompt.
7. Set 'Run ActiveX Controls And Plug-ins' to Prompt.

After doing this, the boat site opened up on the normal site page instead of the "you need Flash" page, meaning it recognized the Flash, but, when I went to YouTube, again, it was only the black box with no play controls

I'm thinking of doing this...

"A damaged Windows system registry or incorrect permissions in the registry may prevent Flash Player from installing or registering correctly"

Download SubInACL from Microsoft to fix permission issues that prevent the Flash Player installation. For instruction on how to run SubInACL to fix these permission issues please refer to "Download SubInACL from Microsoft to fix permission issues that prevent the Flash Player installation" (TechNote fb1634cb).

What do you think? Could it download properly yet still have a permission issue, thereby not working properly?

And do embedded video controls work from the Flash content?

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
viewing youtube problems are a PITA...sometimes just rebooting several times will fix it...sometimes creating a new user account will do it...
sometimes installing Google's chrome browser will do the trick ...

And do embedded video controls work from the Flash content?

yep...

Download SubInACL from Microsoft to fix permission issues that prevent the Flash Player installation. For instruction on how to run SubInACL to fix these permission issues please refer to "Download SubInACL from Microsoft to fix permission issues that prevent the Flash Player installation" (TechNote fb1634cb).

What do you think? Could it download properly yet still have a permission issue, thereby not working properly?

flash installation should not have a permission issue unless your trying to install it from a limited user account ...
as for SubInACL ...I have no experience with it

DrumsMike

DrumsMike

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
It's not just YouTube, it's any site with embedded video's. Yahoo, all of them

Maybe I should just do a system restore & see if that works